Poll: Do you agree?

Page 1 of 37
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question What Ruined World of Warcraft

"There was a time when loot was exciting instead of generic, dungeons were hard, leveling was part of the experience (and not a 3 day chore to endgame), community was king, and inconvenience just lead to good memories. Now it's just a lobby to pug raid in for ever increasing boring stat increases on forgettable items, with a Facebook game style treadmill on the side.

The sad state of MMORPGS really. I cross my fingers that we see what Dark Souls did to to the action adventure genre in MMO land. Bring back the difficulty, remove the hand holding, and let you experience the world again instead of chase after mindless quest markers doing piss easy content."

-Equestria

Do you agree?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Whiny players.

Yup, the game was good, then WoTLK came out.

Not this shit again...

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    Yup, the game was good, then WoTLK came out.
    90% of the WoW community won't agree with you. WoTLK was the bomb. From Cataclysm it went downhill...
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    90% of the WoW community won't agree with you. WoTLK was the bomb. From Cataclysm it went downhill...
    WoTLK started strong, but went downhill with ToC.

Both agree and disagree.

There was a time when loot was exciting instead of generic, dungeons were hard,
    True.
    Because game was new back then and everything was great. We had whole world to explore, things to see (those grand and those little). Dungeons were tailored for groups and were significantly higher demanding, as open world group quests and wandering elites. Even silver rares were a fight at equal level.

leveling was part of the experience (and not a 3 day chore to endgame)
    Not entirely true.
    Mind that vanilla gave you whole 60 levels. For those who started in BC/WotLK it was 70/80 levels to get. Those who reached max prior to next x-pac release, each and every time new content was released equaled just 10 levels - which may felt like like a chore. And since we almost doubled vanilla's max level value it was rather mandatory to easy at least first 3/4's.

MOBAs did.

MOBAs and other genres that provide ability to play in really short bursts that are packed w/ RPG-ish action dealt a heavy blow to MMORPGs in general. Not as many people want to sit glued to their screens playing one game for hours and hours. Market and demands are kinda different from what they used to be.

Nothing, still the most popular mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    MOBAs did.

MOBAs and other genres that provide ability to play in really short bursts that are packed w/ RPG-ish action dealt a heavy blow to MMORPGs in general. Not as many people want to sit glued to their screens playing one game for hours and hours. Market and demands are kinda different from what they used to be.
    Could not have said it better.

I'll also add that FPS games also played a part in making the community more focused on gaming in short bursts, and that a lot of gamers simply don't have the time to bum around at home all day playing an old school MMO.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Not the ‘difficulty’, I disagree with the OP.

What ruined it is that Blizzard could never stick to something. When dailies were criticised they did a 180 and didn’t have them at all (Or rather made the ones in WoD pointless so you didn’t ‘have’ to do them, even to gain rep).

Then they did a 180 again in Legion, when people complained about lack of content Blizzard decided to create the illusion of content to keep them happy without having to put much extra work in.
    Now the world is filled with shallow repetitive world quests, the majority of which revolve around killing and collecting.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-10-16 at 06:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I don't agree with everything but some of it.

I guess some of the ones who make the content feel like a chore is to blame too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Whiny players.
    I have to agree here. Harsh but true. And sure, get rid of hand holding, not sure certain communities will like you though, some of them are quite vocal on here.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I can agree and relate to that text.

It's more or less all about the ultimate convenience and instant gratification in World of Warcraft today. Any resistance at all makes people explode with the argument that "this is a game and not a real job" and that it's almost a personal insult to them.

It's an age where everything have to be accessible to everyone, and people can't be told that something is not for them, or even think that they might not have enough time or willingness to play something for what it was. Otherwise they will go crazy and angry.

If you had just said WoW, then you're entitled to your opinion, but "the sad state of MMORPGs lately"? You're off your rocker.

Most people don't want to play the same game for 10+ years. That doesn't mean the game is ruined. It's just expected that this kind of game has a high point and then declines until only the most diehard fans remain. WoW isn't there yet, but it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    MOBAs did.

I genuinely believe this. WoW demands you invest more time than you would a MOBA, but doesn't reward you in the long run for that investment. It's in that spot where it takes too much time away from life to merit throw-away investment, and then proceeds to reward you by throwing away your investing a couple months later.

Speaking from my brother's point of view who doesn't play WoW anymore, he feels that gear in WoW has lost it's meaning because you replace it all when the next patch/raid/content area comes out; you can't get invested in the items. He's also told me he doesn't have time to play a game like WoW. That's not actually true (it doesn't take that much time, just more than a MOBA), but if he's going to play a game as much as WoW asks of you (doing daily chores and such), then he wants that game to make him feel like his investments matter, else he'll just play lower investment games that give a similar experience in his eyes.
    Last edited by Zookz25; 2017-10-16 at 06:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh ye the imfamous difficulty of vanilla: dispel a curse
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Whiny players.
    I second that

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    "There was a time when loot was exciting instead of generic, dungeons were hard, leveling was part of the experience (and not a 3 day chore to endgame), community was king, and inconvenience just lead to good memories. Now it's just a lobby to pug raid in for ever increasing boring stat increases on forgettable items, with a Facebook game style treadmill on the side.

The sad state of MMORPGS really. I cross my fingers that we see what Dark Souls did to to the action adventure genre in MMO land. Bring back the difficulty, remove the hand holding, and let you experience the world again instead of chase after mindless quest markers doing piss easy content."

-Equestria

Do you agree?
    Catering something as expensive as an MMO to people who enjoy difficulty is not a viable business model.

I don't think anything really ruined wow, I think its basically as the game went on expansion after expansion it shifted a bit. I've enjoyed every single expansion for different aspects and I think with each expansion we got it brought things to the game to forever change how we play. Wrath brought heirlooms to make leveling faster and we didnt have this before. Mop brought a different (and in my opinion the most successful) way of obtaining a legendary. Legion shifted dungeons forever making them always relevant. WoD showed us the 10 levels we get in an expansion can be an amazing experience with the use of cinematics and the list goes on. Of course I can't discredit blizzards flaws either with wod/cata having almost no end-game, but the point I'm trying to make is that each expansion altered the game and just made ways of doing things different.