Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

League of Legends: My Opinion

Hello, community.

I have been an avid League of Legends player for almost 7 years.
    I have seen this game being born, evolve and become what's known as the most played MOBA in history.

With the introduction of eSport, which actually was born officially together with League of Legends (although not as a formula nor a concept, naturally), the world of competitive games have been completely turned upside down, leaving room no more to lone players who wanted to climb the top of the ranking, instead an active kernel of team members that cooperate, communicate, ponder about setup and objectives and most of all play to win.

The rest of the game is composed essentially by brainless casual baboons (and here we can literally range from Bronze to Platinum/Diamond without any difference nor discrimination) who play just for the feeling of it, without synergy, will, touchy and who justify their lack of skill with "it's just a game", where you actually have to spit sweat and blood to win after 50-60mins of match being totally made by the first dick who gets caught alone or dies randomly because, obviously, there's no strategy nor team play. And the very funny part is where, after literally 1 hour of playing a match where you've given your best for a handful of LPs, you just start another match where a dickhead just disconnects, crashes or ragequits because you killed his wolves at minutes 3 and you end up losing more LPs than the ones you managed to get from the previous match.

During the pre Summoner's Rift Rework, I used to win 9 out of 10 matches and I could feel that the results of a match would actually depend from my performance fully. Herald didn't exist, dragon only granted 150g for each member of the team only. It was all about winning your lane, than extend on the others and push. Nothing simpler.

Then, everything changed.

Nowadays, competitive only revolves around teamplay, that's why if you are a solo player you'll never be able to achieve something concrete. To win a soloQ match in League of Legends equals to 50% cap IF you have full knowledge and maneuverability of EVERY champion, if you're updated with latest buffs, debuffs and item changes, balances and hotfixes, if you are aware of possible team elements combo, synergy, positioning, if you actually know how to place wards and keep pinks in the right spot so you can clear enemy's ones and secure map awareness, the best moments to proceed towards objectives and much more.
    If you don't dispose of all of these kens and precepts, naturally your percentage will lower below the 50. The left 50% is instead given by 4 other mongrels you find yourself teamed up with who mostly will play ranked for no apparent reason at all.

Riot Games actually managed to create an optimal environment for every type of player.
    It's a very simple game per se, simple abilities and few core mechanics. It's easy to see your own name being displayed on the screen, it's easy to kill someone (or lasthit someone) and the game almost seem like to eulogize you for that, so that's why everybody apparently can play the game, but really can't.

For years, League of Legends have been making fun of me, which is why I am very sentimental about all of this. But I am not the only 'victim'.
    Out there, playing at this very moment, there are a lot of players thinking they can become someone, reach for the top tier players, get introduced in the professional field of gaming, start living off the best thing in this world, proving everybody who always made fun of them in life for liking videogames, opening a twitch channel with a consistent and solid fanbase, creating YouTube contents not only followed but also respected.

Meritocracy is disappearing from competitive games, and League of Legends is not the only game.
    All of them: Overwatch, Heroes of The Storm, Defend of The Ancients 2, Battlerite is slowly becoming one, Gigantic, a lot of powerful and promising titles as well only for the gold rush chased by the company in charge/producers/developers.

Riot Games itself sold to a chinese internet company called TENCENT.

Everyone now can play videogames. Even your grandmother.

Videoludic environment has become oversaturated, full of commercial catches and uncapable people without motivation who just wants to mash 2-3 big buttons in their keyboard and reading their name in the end-game screen for self-satisfaction and self-persuasion that somebody is going to give a single fuck or remember them.

What's your own opinions about this?
    Last edited by mmoc8f878eba78; 2017-10-23 at 08:44 PM.

Deleted
    The rest of the game is composed essentially by brainless casual baboons (and here we can literally range from Bronze to Platinum/Diamond withoutany difference nor discrimination) who play just for the feeling of it, without synergy, will, touchy and who justify their lack of skill with "it's just a game", where you actually have to spit sweat and blood to win after 50-60mins of match being totally made by the first dick who gets caught alone or dies randomly because, obviously, there's no strategy nor team play. And the very funny part is where, after literally 1 hour of playing a match where you've given your best for a handful of LPs, you just start another match where a dickhead just disconnects, crashes or ragequits because you killed his wolves at minutes 3 and you end up losing more LPs than the ones you managed to get from the previous match.
    This is the main reason why i don't play League competitively anymore.
    When i play a game of 50-60 min i want it to be a flawless experience. No AFK's, no rage quiters, no troll pickers etc because...its a 50min game, 1 hour of my life.

And there was this one day i decided to give League a chance and decided to play 5 games in a row.
    On that day i got leavers/AFK's/Rage quiters in 3 of those games and a Velkoz full tank on top lane.
    Pretty much every since that day i gave up on the competitive side of League and i just play it for fun. I was marked for life

Is this an opinion or an ad?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the opinion? You write "my opinion" and then post about the history of League, including a couple of completely irrelevant items (e.g. Tencent).

i will never understand why people complain about soloQ.
    you know what you will meet, if you cant bear your team in a teamplay why you join? to be pathetic?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    Is this an opinion or an ad?
    Uhm I can't see anything ad related?

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Where's the opinion? You write "my opinion" and then post about the history of League, including a couple of completely irrelevant items (e.g. Tencent).
    My opinion about the whole League of Legends matter, about my soloQ experience and about competitive game as extended concept.
    Items such as Tencent are not irrelevant, as they highlight the commercial connotation the game is taking.

Everything's money oriented now, there's no real interest beyond that.
    That's really kind of my point, you guys.

I tried to cure the post as it's something I really care about, I am sorry I opened a thread for which you seem to only have such poor answers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tencent is irrelevant, as it was solely to allow LoL into the Chinese market. They have no control about the direction of the game. Such simple mistakes completely undermine what you are trying to say.

LoL has a lot of flaws, there's numerous reasons why you might not enjoy the game as much anymore. Them going 'commercial' is simply a complete falsehood and as such not one of those those reasons.

Deleted
    League of Legends going commercial would be a falsehood?
    How is that so?

League of Legends was a completely different game before.
    Just to make a silly example, except for this very last year, but they've been literally FOR YEARS without even caring to decorate the Rift during Halloween and Christmas anymore. Way before, when they were just a handful of developers, eveyrthing was made in a whole completely different spirit.
    Even if in-game models sucked or splash arts were complete shit ,the game was still better. This, according to me of course.

Why that, anyway? Simple: because they stopped caring about heart matters, about true passion. The moment a company gains audience and playerbase and starts making money, it starts going COMMERCIAL. What is commercial? Commercial is something accessible TO EVERYONE. League of Legends is now one of those games. It's no different from a mobile game if you ask me.

You guys are probably taking up the cudgels because you're addicted to this game just as the majority of the player pool.
    I am not talking against Riot Games or criticizing them cause they personally hurt me or whatever, I hgold no interest in this.
    I am objectively analyzing, after YEARS of witnessing (since 2010 when the game LITERALLY WAS RELEASED, so I am not talking as someone who started last week and now complains about random things he doesn't even know about) the evolution of the game.

Also ,are you sure you know what you're talking about in regards of the Tencent party?

Guys don't come here butthurt and salty please, this is not an aggressive thread. I want to speculate with the community about my points.
    If you just have to come here and being arrogant or to insult, I'm not going to consider your posts at all.
    Last edited by mmoc8f878eba78; 2017-10-24 at 11:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No with a brain who actually understands what's involved in becoming a pro gamer or top tier player in general has any of these problems to begin with. This sounds like the blog of someone who just realized their chances of playing in the NFL are in fact tiny and not something you can get from just trying.

Also the hilarity in you trying to say the game has changed so much: No. No, it hasn't. Aside from balance/item changes, its functionally the exact same game it was. You last hit minions, you take objectives, you lane and you get gold, with which you buy items.

This honestly all just reads like someone who doesn't like the game anymore after years and is just trying to nitpick.

Also not sure why you're railing against Tencent, its a chinese company that allowed LoL into the chinese market. That's the end of their involvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to speculate with the community about my points.

See, the thing is we'd happily speculate with you... if those points weren't just patently false and/or misinformed.

Deleted
    In THIS PAGE you can read the official document regarding Tencent acquiring a majority stake in Riot Games. Although the latter is still operating independently, the whole company is pretty much owned by the chinese society.

You guys, Phookah and Duiliath, I have no idea what's your experience towards the game but I am assuming you really are into it for feeling so touched by my words.

@Phookah, I am not railing against Tencent. I have nothing against it NOR I have something against Riot Games or League of Legends.
    I am just pointing out how companies in general, by taking a cue from these names, just tend to roll down into the abyss of gold rush once they realize they have a nice product in their hands. The game never changed? So I am assuming you never played before the Summoner's Rift rework? The introduction of the herald, the dragons and their relative buffs? I suppose you didn't even fully read my post if you're saying this. League of Legends started shaping after eSport gaming ONLY, wherein soloQ players can't really do anything anymore. Professional players? Seriously? Professional players are people who are able to play 24/7 and memorize every single number, hotfix, patch note, people who live off their parent's or families' money and eventually succeed in making their own out of something like videogames. That's perfectly normal, isn't it? And what about their alt accounts they're able to raise into diamond league within a matter of days? If you are a famous streamer/professional player, of course people tend to follow what you have to say and thus they also manage to orchestrate entire matches because the majority of the playerbase is a herd of sheep. SoloQ is dead.
    @Duilliath you are just using strong adjectives to defend your lack of substance in your words. Which actually makes me lose completely interest into speculating with you at all. Do you know what 'going commercial' even means? Are you trying to say that League of Legends is not the most accessible game ever created in human history? Is it not one of the most played title ever? Making every kind of accessories, having a dedicated site to sell gadgets, figures, shirts and every kind of merchandise? Having tons of media attention and contents, that's not being commercial according to your culture?

League of Legends IS commercial.
    As such, I could also list Overwatch and pretty much every Blizzard Entertainment's game box.

Player Unknown's Battleground: it's currently the most played game on Steam, topped the charts with an overwhelming record.
    Is PUBG commercial? No. Can you tell why and the difference? I am pretty sure you can't, because you don't know what being 'commercial' means.

Also, let me ask you two something:
    when you play a game in soloQ.. do you ever have the feeling that you are actually in control of the game?
    When you win a match, can you actually feel that what you did really mattered for the game outcome?
    You guys never get the feeling that everything that directs the match is just a list of casualities?

Well, I already know the answer; and either way, you are never going to reply honestly.

Deleted
    Well, I already know the answer; and either way, you are never going to reply honestly.
    In that case there is very little to discuss and God knows why you started a forum thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    God knows why you started a forum thread.
    I started this thread to gather opinions about other people's mentality towards the matter.
    I am not expecting everybody to think the same way as I do. I actually am interested in knowing what the others think about it, who agrees, who doesn't, who thinks in a completely different way.

But who's been answering so far, except for @Shadowpunkz (regardless for partially agreeing with me), are a bunch of butthurt and salty kids who don't want their game to be staked and just insult or assault my thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ex0LL View Post
    a bunch of butthurt and salty kids.
    It seems to me you fit that description more than the people replying to you thread. Also your "arguments" may seem well thought out in your head, but written here it just looks like some incoherent rambling of someone that's mad because something's changed.

Deleted
    Very well.
    I humbly apologize with everyone for opening such a thread and sharing with you guys my thoughts.

Can I ask what rank you are?

7+ Year Old Account
    my favourite part is how he emboldens words, to make sure you notice them. cos god forbid you dont pay attention to the things he find most important, much like an advertising campaign might do.
    Cilit BANG!
    BANG, and the dirt is gone!

You might want to look into therapists in your area

I do not play LOL anymore. But I do see that if you are not teamed up with people equally skilled, your games are going to suck. Especially when playing SOLO Ranked.

I do not know if this has got to do anything with Esports and prizes etc. Before LOL became an Esport, this problem was there already. It was really really sucked going solo. All these rages and afk people... I actually quit because of these "mongrels". Even though I know that problem is sorta fixed now, I just know that it is pointless for me to play. I have no team or atleast an incomplete one. Having 3 friends together is not enough. You will end up with a feeder. So I rather avoid this game. But still think about it... if you did have a set of friends in LOL... wouldn't it suck if you could not play together? Or are you asking for a solo league? So everyone who chooses to go solo, will meet players in there who also are solo. So it would always be pug vs pug. Still your chances of having a good time though will be limited.

The biggest issue is OP thinks it should be fair, normal and expected that you can solo win ("carry") a 5-man game. I quit LOL because mostly of toxic community and because I'm not that big fan of pvp games where theoretically 50% loss rate should be expected, but everyone rages and flames as if 100% win rate was expected instead. But in any team game, even let's say a pve one not a pvp one - like wow raiding or m+ dungeons you cannot solo win unless the content is trivial (similar to how a diamond smurf can "carry" a game against bronze opponents, this is "trivial content" to him), and you expect to go into challenging content with a premade team or suffer the consequences.

LOL used to have 3v3 and 5v5 "teams" but as far as I know they de-emphasized it in favour of "flex queue" or whatever.

The only "commercial" part here is creating games that emphasize "play with friends" over personal skill and contribution, because why focus on solo guys when you can focus on guys who are gonna RAF all their buddys in and get the company more active accounts (often paying ones in the end). It also means player doesn't need to be skilled to see the appeal of the game, they just need to "have a good laugh with friends" to justify playing the game, therefore game appeals to a wider audience. MMOs, MOBAs etc. focus on "social" aspect, I guess super skilled lone wolves have to play something else like Starcraft or Cuphead... or just accept the limitations of playing a team game solo in a pick-up-group (or auto-matchmade one).