Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yes, no idea how they still have the influence to avoid it.

I think they'd be in massive deficient if they did though. Not that I care.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-10-22 at 05:13 PM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    For now I'd be happy if they didn't steal my taxes. But yes, churches aren't non-profit organizations and should be treated exactly as any other corporation

If you want some prospective, the Catholic Church owns 20% of all real estates in Italy, worth about €2000B (two thousand billion Euros) for which they didn't pay any succession tax (8%, 160 billion euros) or the annual ownership tax (that'd be a few billions every year). Not to mention commercial businesses opened by the church are tax-exempt and the Catholic Church is quite openly helping Italian entrepreneurs evading taxes

10+ Year Old Account
    Megachurches like Joel Osteen, and churches who become politically-active, yes. They should definitely have their tax-exempt status revoked. Small churches that rely on community donations, however, and keep their noses out of politics and stick to religious ceremonies/community outreach, on the other hand, should keep their tax-exempt status as churches like those are why it was a thing in the first place.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Yes, and they should be Audited for the Centuries of Back tax too.

I think there has to be a way to determine which churches are pulling in more money than they should and which are actually there to be supporters of their community. The ones pulling in way more than they should can be taxed imo. Particularly mega churches.

I'm sure most people support this but obviously nothing happens. How do we go about getting it enacted.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Deleted
    They selling God. 2000 years later the product still not delivered, they selling air and people pay for it. If you can tax sell nothing ... why not

Churches shouldn't exist in the first place. But as long as they do, yes, they should be taxed. Heavily.

In Finland they collect taxes
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Hellllllllllllllll yessssssssssss!

Biggest scam in history. I guess our Founding Fathers thought they were protecting religion based on what happened in Europe, but that time has passed.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they should. All religious orgs should be. When you have millionaire preachers and political religious organizations, you need to take a hard look.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

They provide tons of aid to the poor for free if they were taxed they would provide less not to mention their political power would triple as it is now they have limited involvement in politics in the states.

Do you want to see preachers endorsing candidates and funding campaigns of ultra religious people? If not you want them to remain as is.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2017-10-22 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Height View Post
    I think there has to be a way to determine which churches are pulling in more money than they should and which are actually there to be supporters of their community. The ones pulling in way more than they should can be taxed imo. Particularly mega churches.

I'm sure most people support this but obviously nothing happens. How do we go about getting it enacted.
    How do you determine what is "pulling in more money than they should..."?

Are you going to extend this into corporations? Individuals? You are suggesting we tear down the whole economic structure to the government as well?

I think they should be taxed, and heavily at it. Those "donations" they get are not only clearly for profit, but also economically stagnating by nature, because they don't usually support production of any kind, just accumulation of money by a snake-oil salesman.

I would personally say so, yes. The counter-argument would be seperation of church and state...and taxation is a state matter. On the other hand, way too corruption can crop up with no responsibility to the society...hence I am personally for taxing them. Maybe not the little parish churches or something, but those huge mega-churches and shit? Tax'em.

To the extent that they are charities, no.

But if they act as a for-profit business, yes.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    I would personally say so, yes. The counter-argument would be seperation of church and state...and taxation is a state matter. On the other hand, way too corruption can crop up with no responsibility to the society...hence I am personally for taxing them. Maybe not the little parish churches or something, but those huge mega-churches and shit? Tax'em.
    They counter-counter argument is that people want churches involved in politics. If a church wants to donate to a politician, they must give up their non-profit status in my view.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    I think they should be taxed, and heavily at it. Those "donations" they get are not only clearly for profit, but also economically stagnating by nature, because they don't usually support production of any kind, just accumulation of money by a snake-oil salesman.
    The vast majority of priests and pastors don't live well they live very simple lives. Ive been inside the living quarters of the local catholic church its very simple and basic and it's a very large old church.

Mega Church pastors are the exception not the rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Yes, all religious organisations/buildings should be taxed. Same as everyone else, I can’t believe they still aren’t in this day and age.

This includes charity churches and charities in general. A lot of money gets shifted around that we could be taking a cut of. Especially foreign aid charities which take money out of the country.

It’d certainly stop people using charities for tax evasion.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-10-22 at 05:47 PM.

I fail to see why they shouldn't. But, alas, religions have many, MANY followers still.

Absolutely. Churches are more than capable of facilitating their own wealth, as commonly seen.