Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bannon in Liberal Land a.k.a. CA

Steve Bannon was in CA on Friday for the CA GOP convention.

http://www.breitbart.com/california/...ntion-keynote/

I won’t reiterate what has already been said in the article. The convention itself was more noteworthy for who did not show up more than who showed up.

Only a few protesters showed up. I am sure they were disappointed. No violence meant less publicity.

None of the four GOP congressperson representing OC showed up. Rather unusual since all 4 are facing reelection in 2018. You would think the event would be the time for them to drum up support.

In the end, was his presence good for the CA GOP?

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize there is a very large conservative population in California.....right?

On the actual topic I'm pretty sure there is little Bannon can do that's ultimately good for the GOP in the long run.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You do realize there is a very large conservative population in California.....right?
    So... You're telling me that all the superrich celebrities do want tax cuts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So... You're telling me that all the superrich celebrities do want tax cuts?
    No, but the poor folks in the farm lands for some reason do.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well then they can't be conservatives, because the conservative side has never given poor people tax cuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well then they can't be conservatives, because the conservative side has never given poor people tax cuts.
    Oh they want them for the rich, so that when the win the loto people like them had better watch out!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, CA is kinda weird that way. The rich cities are mostly liberal and want to tax the rich, the poorer rural areas want to cut services for the poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess who elected Reagan first?

On the actual topic I'm pretty sure there is little Bannon can do that's ultimately good for the GOP in the long run.
    Population wise, yes. As percent of population, no. There are more people registered as independent than GOP in CA now. It still represents a lot of GOP voters just because the state population is that large.

The news made a big deal about OC voting blue for the first time in history. What they missed is that Rancho Palos Verdes which had always voted for a Republican President by a ratio of 2 : 1, voted for Hillary in 2016. I have had to deal with Rancho Palos Verdes city council in 1990s, and they don’t come much redder or richer than those old coots.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-10-23 at 07:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Population wise, yes. As percent of population, no. There are more people registered as independent than GOP in CA now. It still represents a lot of GOP voters just because the state population is that large.
    Right, which is why it would make sense to have a GOP even in "liberal land."

Just pointing out a common (and frankly very weird) idea that California is this solid blue state. It's just as silly as saying Illinois is. And yes, I know you just did that for effect and lulz -- but there have been threads where people seem to think a requirement to live in California is to be a flaming liberal.

Which, among many reasons, why I am a firm advocate for mandating that each state eliminate the winner takes all part of the electoral college. The delegates should be assigned by % of vote totals. And I cannot find a single reason why that is a bad idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which, among many reasons, why I am a firm advocate for mandating that each state eliminate the winner takes all part of the electoral college. The delegates should be assigned by % of vote totals. And I cannot find a single reason why that is a bad idea.
    Gerrymandering would be the main reason.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Gerrymandering would be the main reason.
    Gerrymandering doesn't matter for the Electoral College, which is based on the entire state vote totals.

7+ Year Old Account
    People voting against their best interests? That's crazy talk!

10+ Year Old Account
    Gerrymandering doesn't matter for the Electoral College, which is based on the entire state vote totals.
    Oh, I see. I misinterpreted what you typed.

Though frankly I don't think we need an electoral college system period.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Oh, I see. I misinterpreted what you typed.

Though frankly I don't think we need an electoral college system period.
    My understanding is that eliminating the electoral college will require a constitutional amendment which will neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever happen.

However I do believe that mandating it be proportional wouldn't require a constitutional amendment. Can it be just done with legislation?

Plus there is something to be said for having some level of protection for the interests of the smaller states. It's not a particularly strong argument but it's there.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    None of the four GOP congressperson representing OC showed up. Rather unusual since all 4 are facing reelection in 2018. You would think the event would be the time for them to drum up support.
    Congresspeople always face reelection every 2 years. They are ALL up for reelection.

- - - Updated - - -

My understanding is that eliminating the electoral college will require a constitutional amendment which will neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever happen.
    It basically does, and it won't. Yeah - so much for popularly elected people.

However I do believe that mandating it be proportional wouldn't require a constitutional amendment. Can it be just done with legislation?

Plus there is something to be said for having some level of protection for the interests of the smaller states. It's not a particularly strong argument but it's there.
    There is a good chance of the electoral college being bypassed in the future through the catchy named National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. When enough states have signed up the agreement goes in to effect and guarentees the winner of the popular vote becomes the next president. Currently states that have signed up for the compact represent 30% of the electoral college with another 18% passing the compact through state legislation.

Assuming they all pass the Compact only needs to gain 8 more electoral college votes to become effective.

Only the rural bumfuck nowhere areas are receptive to Trump. Even Orange County went blue in the last election. No shit people running for congress there wouldn't show up to a Bannon event, that would be fucking suicide for their careers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets not forget that Bannon was at one time a wanna be Hollywood movie producer. Perhaps if he had been more successful at his chicken based Barney knock off we wouldn't be where we are today.

-Kujako-

Lets not forget that Bannon was at one time a wanna be Hollywood movie producer. Perhaps if he had been more successful at his chicken based Barney knock off we wouldn't be where we are today.

Hey, hey, HEY. Let's not drag the honorable name of the San Diego Chicken through the mud here. He way predates the purple dinosaur.