i3 8350k vs i5 8400 for a budget gaming build

Ok so I am having difficulty making this decision.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...50K/3939vs3935

But I've seen arguments that the 8400 has better value because you can buy a cheap mobo and maintain the same performance as the 8350k (at stock) with less power consumption which means less heat so you don't have to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler. However, that worries me because I like having the option to OC and I know that in the future I would like to buy a i5 8600k or i7 8700k with a gtx 1080 when I make the leap from 1080p to 1440p gaming. I cant do that with a B series mobo, I need to have a Z370, right? Or can I have a i5 8400 and use a z370 mobo?

Idk, I'm just confused about the cost vs futureproof scenario.

EDIT: In addition, I think with the i3 8350k I wouldnt even need to upgrade to a i5 8600k or i7 8700k if I can reach 5Ghz OC-ing. All I would need to do is purchase the right cooling gear and a better GPU right?
    Last edited by bamf775; 2017-10-23 at 07:25 PM.

You still need a Z370 for the i5-8400. It's great performance per dollar in gaming (especially when compared to R5 lineup), but i3-8350K will be better for WoW. Depends on what you're playing.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-10-23 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    You still need a Z370 for the i5-8400. It's great performance per dollar in gaming (especially when compared to R5 lineup), but i3-8350K will be better for WoW. Depends on what you're playing.
    I like to play MMOs, RPGs, and sandbox/openworld games - ESO, WoW, BDO, Mordor: SoW, ARK, GTA5, etc..

I just dont see the benefit for having 2 more cores but with a restrained clock speed when planning for the short term future. most games if not all use 4 cores or less. and by the time games start using more than 4 cores, I will most likely be in the market for a new PC build anways. thoughts?
    Last edited by bamf775; 2017-10-23 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    I like to play MMOs, RPGs, and sandbox/openworld games - ESO, WoW, BDO, Mordor: SoW, ARK, GTA5, etc..

I just dont see the benefit for having 2 more cores but with a restrained clock speed when planning for the short term future. most games if not all use 4 cores or less. and by the time games start using more than 4 cores, I will most likely be in the market for a new PC build anways. thoughts?
    You answered yourself.

The constant 4Ghz on the 8350 vs the "When i remember to turbo mode" 8400 is your answer since you are gonna get a new PC build when the extra cores are needed.

I saw the thread and didnt post earlier cause it would be the usual "What games do play" and you simply answered yourself.

Since you play older engine games or bugged games like ARK then the higher clock speed benefits you, and by the time you will need the extra cores for gaming we all be probably running a 8core/16 thread in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    You answered yourself.

The constant 4Ghz on the 8350 vs the "When i remember to turbo mode" 8400 is your answer since you are gonna get a new PC build when the extra cores are needed.

I saw the thread and didnt post earlier cause it would be the usual "What games do play" and you simply answered yourself.

Since you play older engine games or bugged games like ARK then the higher clock speed benefits you, and by the time you will need the extra cores for gaming we all be probably running a 8core/16 thread in 2020.
    Yea, sorry about that. Talking this out with someone really kind of confirms my line of thinking though. I'm new at all of this, so I appreciate the confirmation.

The 8400 can be forced to run at its max turbo on all 6 cores by setting the “all core optimization” setting to on. (On ASUS boards, its automatically enabled).

Its basically a ghetto OC to 24/7 4.0 Ghz, which i think really increases the value of the 8400.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-10-24 at 03:47 AM.