Poll: Is GW2 the best free MMO in the MMO Market?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    I made this thread because I want to know the opinions of others. I like the game, you dislike it, that's it.
    Yes that's why I tell people to play it right?

You wonder why you are on ignore? This is it. Your bias for the game shows when you ask if it's the best free MMO when in it's entirety it's not a free MMO. And no it's not just "liking the game" at this point either so don't try and hide behind that. And when anyone criticizes it you accuse them of "disliking" the game. Seen that attitude among other games.

This game is not a free MMO. That is a fact. The base game is a restricted F2P version. So it's not a free MMO at all. Free implies the entire thing would be free.

You know exactly why you made this thread. Stop being so disingenuous about it. You wanted to spark a debate about what constitutes free. GW2 is not fully F2P. Now if it was fully F2P I'd have voted yes in a heartbeat.

But of course if I hate Zhaitan and WvW that must mean I hate the entire game right? Great logic you have there....

Now admittedly my own fault for even responding to you here but this will be my last response. I will gladly tell people to play this game. But when they ask if it's free I will tell the truth by telling them the base game is f2p with restrictions and if you want the entire game then you will need to buy the expansions. I will not lie and tell them the game is F2P when it's not because that would imply there is no box price for all of the game.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 12:59 PM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    You wonder why you are on ignore? This is it.
    Yet you come to my threads everytime.

This game is not a free MMO. That is a fact. The base game is a restricted F2P version. So it's not a free MMO at all. Free implies the entire thing would be free.
    If you say so. I think that the game is free. You can play it for free. Same with Hearthstone - either you grind the shit out of the game for years, or spend money.

You know exactly why you made this thread.
    Yes I know. I made it in a Guild Wars 2 subforum. So what?

But of course if I hate Zhaitan and WvW that must mean I hate the entire game right? Great logic you have there....
    See Quote #1;

Now admittedly my own fault for even responding to you here but this will be my last response. I will gladly tell people to play this game. But when they ask if it's free I will tell the truth by telling them the base game is f2p with restrictions and if you want the entire game then you will need to buy the expansions to experience the game in it's entirety.
    Bye.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading through the comments, I guess Warframe is the best F2P game.

I can't actually remember if I needed to spend money in that or not. I'm sure I did, but fairly sure it wasn't required.

I don't really mind calling GW2 F2P, you can play it for free, when did F2P mean everything must be free?

You can also play everything for free, you can grind the shit outta gold, swap it for gems and buy the expansions. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2017-10-24 at 01:23 PM.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    After reading through the comments, I guess Warframe is the best F2P game.
    Either Warframe or Path of Exile, depends on your preference.

I don't really mind calling GW2 F2P, you can play it for free, when did F2P mean everything must be free?
    I don't understand why people are so freaking mad in this thread. GW2 is free, you don't have to pay for it anymore, so it's free. Yet people are losing their minds here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why people are so freaking mad in this thread. GW2 is free, you don't have to pay for it anymore, so it's free. Yet people are losing their minds here.
    Sounds like a typical day on MMO Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Sounds like a typical day on MMO Champion
    Not really.

I just don't like people who defend their game and post clear bias threads and call anyone with critique out for "disliking". It shows you don't have anything to present and are just hiding behind the game at that point in my 2 cents.

Seen it in other game forums and I'm not making it sound like it's mutually exclusive here.

Oh and you can't convert gold to gems on a F2P account. One of the restrictions.

So it's still B2P to fully experience.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us...-Free-Core-HoT

Gems to gold exchange available, gold to gems exchange unavailable.

You would still have to buy the gems to buy it ingame.

So yes the entire game is not F2P. A small portion that is restricted is. Doesn't matter how you want to paint it.

Factually the game is B2P. The base game alone is F2P restricted.

Not saying that B2P is wrong either. But factually saying the game is F2P when it's fully not is disingenuous and lying at best. F2P coexists within the B2P model of GW2.

You are right a game doesn't have to be fully accessible to be F2P. But to say the game in it's entirety is F2P is not true at all. F2P or restricted F2P in this case is coexisting among a B2P model with microtransactions.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 01:33 PM.

I like GW2, but I bought the full game back in the day, but the whole no raid thing and no healer thing kinda killed it for me since that is what I play in every MMO ever. The thing I hated most is I bought the game and it had what like 6-8 classes in which I could make 4 characters...WTF is that. I honestly just long on once a year now to get my free 10 levels for my alts then don't touch it again, dungeon content is all I play MMO's for so the dungeons are not that great and you cant even access the first until level 30. I got hacked and the hacker leveled my Necro to lvl 80 for me so that was nice, but at the time end game was non existant. I think Neverwinter is a better F2P game.

Since when do Buy to Play games are free?

In B2P I consider ESO best, but I still want to try GW2, I think they are very similar, so I might like it.

In F2P I would consider anything without P2W elements pretty plausible. PoE is pretty good, but it's not an MMO.

I really liked EQ2 as well. I think they gone to F2P model with subscription bonuses.
    Last edited by VyersReaver; 2017-10-24 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    Since when do Buy to Play games are free?

In B2P I consider ESO best.
    For me in order.

Sub. FF14.

B2P. Has to be ESO I agree on that. While not my cup of tea the scale of it is insane.

F2P. Path of Exile hands down. Not an MMORPG but still the fairness of the model is insane. I'd say Warframe too since you can pretty much do everything with the base Warframes.

"The best" seems a bit subjective. I got to around 20ish on a thief thing I made before I got bored with it, nothing kept my attention at all, and when it came time to do some update, the launcher always died, so I gave up playing it and uninstalled. As far as other F2P MMOs go, I enjoyed TERA and Wildstar more, hell, even Rift was good for awhile.

Edit: I forgot the trial for FFXIV is basically a good chunk of the game to be considered a F2P game, to me. Add that to my list, probably even the one I'd choose over GW2.
    Last edited by Fabled; 2017-10-24 at 01:38 PM.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

I hate the account recovery system that you need to not only know your CD key, but also your character's name even if you played a fuckton of years ago, so you always have to contact support.
    I literally quit GW2 over this, forgot my password 2 times in between 2 breaks I took, and that was enough for me to get overly mad at it

It's not free-to-play, and I have several B2P games I rank way above GW2.

For me in order.

Sub. FF14.

B2P. Has to be ESO I agree on that. While not my cup of tea the scale of it is insane.

F2P. Path of Exile hands down. Not an MMORPG but still the fairness of the model is insane. I'd say Warframe too since you can pretty much do everything with the base Warframes.
    You said there are some gold to gems conversion after you buy GW2, what do you do with the gems? Is it really as small as you say it is?

Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    You said there are some gold to gems conversion after you buy GW2, what do you do with the gems? Is it really as small as you say it is?
    On a F2P account you cannot convert gold to gems. So you have to either find a cheap upgrade key for the base game to unlock the core or buy the expansions.

I have no idea on the current conversion rate. It's usually only decent though during big sales.

It's the best "free" MMO.

1: Not free.
    2: Rewards are incredibly lame, unless you spend cash.
    3: Game play is slow, weapon based skills are boring.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

If you say so. I think that the game is free. You can play it for free. Same with Hearthstone - either you grind the shit out of the game for years, or spend money.
    Not true at all, for people to experience the expansions, they HAVE to pay for the expansions which cannot be bought with gems. If you want to experience the Living World Season 2 and 3, they can be bought with gems and therefore grinded for since gems can be exchanged for gold, but that doesn't give you access to the entire game.

The base game is F2P with restrictions as others have said, but to experience the game in it's entirety is not free.

Edit: The bolded is not true on free to play accounts so that means nothing outside of the base game is free.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2017-10-24 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You still need to buy the expansion pack, so the point stands. The game does need to be bought, making it 'B2P' or 'buy to play', not 'free to play'.
    So what you're saying is that it's free to play. Thanks for agreeing with exactly what I said, but doing it in a way that made you wrong.

Free with restrictions. If you want to remove those restrictions you need to upgrade or find a base game code.

So it's limited F2P.

So no. It's F2P for the base game and the full game requires a one time purchase. You cannot experience the entirety of the game on a free account.

So it's not a free MMO at all and calling it free is partly disingenuous. The base game is free with restrictions whereas the entirety of the game is Buy to Play.

I mean what do you get in the base game?

WvW? Woop de do most part that is just a zergfest.

Story. Core story was subpar at best and the Zhaitan fight an utter pile of garbage.

PvP. PvP is actually pretty decent in the game so a worthwhile thing there for PvP players.

Fractals. Decent but eventually just become a grindfest. Can't say I ever did them much since Ascended Gear was pretty much me done for the build.

World bosses. Mindless zergfests for the most part. Literally Tequatl has you moving back and forth. Jormag has some minor interesting stuff but the rest of them are a zerg. Most people just sit at the camp waiting for Ulgoth for example. Although they have to be accessible to all.

My point being the OP made this thread with a clear bias. Not hard to see.
    See above, thank you for agreeing with me. It's 100% a free to play MMO. That doesn't mean that all content is free, it has expansion packs. The base game is 100% free. Also the things you listed to show that there's not much in the game.....that's what 90% of people do in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    So what you're saying is that it's free to play. Thanks for agreeing with exactly what I said, but doing it in a way that made you wrong.

See above, thank you for agreeing with me. It's 100% a free to play MMO. That doesn't mean that all content is free, it has expansion packs. The base game is 100% free. Also the things you listed to show that there's not much in the game.....that's what 90% of people do in the game.
    It's not 100% free to play at all. To play the game 100% and experience all of it you need to BUY expansions. Not to mention certain gem store stuff being locked, the TP only showing specific items, restrictions that core accounts do not have such as not being able to go to cities until 35 and so on.

100% F2P would be HoT and PoF content unlocked? Is it unlocked? Didn't think so.

So no calling it fully F2P is a flat out lie. Calling the base game F2P with restrictions is the truth. Whether you want to accept it or not.

Telling a new player they can play the whole game for free is dishonest. It's not an opinion it's a fact. You cannot trade gold for gems on a F2P account so their only option is to buy the expansions.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 04:44 PM.