View Poll Results: Is GW2 the best free MMO in the MMO Market?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is!

    51 42.50%
  • No, it's not. I like X better. (Please comment which one)

    69 57.50%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    The Insane Eleccybubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Algo Solar System.
    Posts
    16,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    So what you're saying is that it's free to play. Thanks for agreeing with exactly what I said, but doing it in a way that made you wrong.



    See above, thank you for agreeing with me. It's 100% a free to play MMO. That doesn't mean that all content is free, it has expansion packs. The base game is 100% free. Also the things you listed to show that there's not much in the game.....that's what 90% of people do in the game.
    It's not 100% free to play at all. To play the game 100% and experience all of it you need to BUY expansions. Not to mention certain gem store stuff being locked, the TP only showing specific items, restrictions that core accounts do not have such as not being able to go to cities until 35 and so on.

    https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us...-Free-Core-HoT

    100% F2P would be HoT and PoF content unlocked? Is it unlocked? Didn't think so.

    So no calling it fully F2P is a flat out lie. Calling the base game F2P with restrictions is the truth. Whether you want to accept it or not.

    Telling a new player they can play the whole game for free is dishonest. It's not an opinion it's a fact. You cannot trade gold for gems on a F2P account so their only option is to buy the expansions.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 04:44 PM.
    "Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...it is morphing time!" Gilgamesh. (Final Fantasy 5)
    I refuse to be a slave of fate! I will be the master of my own future! Shir Gold. (Phantasy Star 2)
    Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose. Ayrton Senna. (3 times Formula 1 World Champion)

  2. #42
    Possibly, but that's not saying much. Most MMOs fucking suck.


    Their age is past.

  3. #43
    The Insane Eleccybubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Algo Solar System.
    Posts
    16,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Not true at all, for people to experience the expansions, they HAVE to pay for the expansions which cannot be bought with gems. If you want to experience the Living World Season 2 and 3, they can be bought with gems and therefore grinded for since gems can be exchanged for gold, but that doesn't give you access to the entire game.

    The base game is F2P with restrictions as others have said, but to experience the game in it's entirety is not free.

    Edit: The bolded is not true on free to play accounts so that means nothing outside of the base game is free.
    This. Base game is F2P with restrictions. Base game is nowhere near the entirety of the game. Especially considering how many new maps have been added, story, masteries, events and so on.

    The full game is B2P.
    "Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...it is morphing time!" Gilgamesh. (Final Fantasy 5)
    I refuse to be a slave of fate! I will be the master of my own future! Shir Gold. (Phantasy Star 2)
    Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose. Ayrton Senna. (3 times Formula 1 World Champion)

  4. #44
    I couldn't get myself to level past lvl 40 (vanilla game), so my answer is no.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    This. Base game is F2P with restrictions. Base game is nowhere near the entirety of the game. Especially considering how many new maps have been added, story, masteries, events and so on.

    The full game is B2P.
    You're terribly confused about what base game means. Base game means base game. Not expansions. You're welcome for clearing that up for you. You have permission to delete your posts now.

  6. #46
    The Insane Eleccybubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Algo Solar System.
    Posts
    16,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    You're terribly confused about what base game means. Base game means base game. Not expansions. You're welcome for clearing that up for you. You have permission to delete your posts now.
    Can I play the entirety of Guild Wars 2 for free?

    Yes or no?

    Do I have to buy the expansions to experience the entirety of the game?

    Can I go to HoT maps on a free account or obtain Masteries or raid? Or see the HoT/PoF story which do continue on from Zhaitan and LS2?

    The base game is factually Free to play with restrictions. The entire game itself such as HoT or PoF content is not. You miss out on a lot of story among other things by only playing the base game.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 04:48 PM.
    "Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...it is morphing time!" Gilgamesh. (Final Fantasy 5)
    I refuse to be a slave of fate! I will be the master of my own future! Shir Gold. (Phantasy Star 2)
    Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose. Ayrton Senna. (3 times Formula 1 World Champion)

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Hello champions, good to see you.

    So, let's be honest here: Best is really subjective, I know. People love to point at me because of my love for this game, and it's totally fair, but let's take a moment to discuss the F2P model of GW2:

    You get the full leveling experience
    You can create every profession, except Revenant (a fair trade, IMO, as they're all cool.)
    You can create up to two characters (Not that many, but hey, I have the full game and I only play with Lotus)
    You can enjoy PvP in it's entirety.
    You can play WvW in it's entirety.

    You can basically play one of the best MMO/game ever made in it's basic form for free, which is a very cool thing to do. Other games offer a lot of restrictions in the overall experience, and I think that GW2 is super fair with that, which helped the game a lot.

    What is your opinion on this?
    Calling it f2p is misleading. You still need to buy the game. Its like calling all of the Fifa games f2p. Its not really fitting

  8. #48
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Calling it f2p is misleading. You still need to buy the game. Its like calling all of the Fifa games f2p. Its not really fitting
    Noooooo, you don't! You can access the base game for free. Yes, the XPAC and LS areas must be bought, but the basic 1-80 + PvP + WvW is FREE!!!

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Can I play the entirety of Guild Wars 2 for free?

    Yes or no?

    Do I have to buy the expansions to experience the entirety of the game?

    Can I go to HoT maps on a free account or obtain Masteries or raid?

    The base game is factually Free to play with restrictions. The entire game itself such as HoT or PoF content is not. You miss out on a lot of story among other things by only playing the base game.
    Yes. You can play the entirety of Guild Wars 2 for free. You cannot play GW2: Heart of Thorns for free, because that's an expansion. Stop being wrong. Just stop.

  10. #50
    Banned Jaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The White House
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Hello champions, good to see you.

    So, let's be honest here: Best is really subjective, I know. People love to point at me because of my love for this game, and it's totally fair, but let's take a moment to discuss the F2P model of GW2:

    You get the full leveling experience
    You can create every profession, except Revenant (a fair trade, IMO, as they're all cool.)
    You can create up to two characters (Not that many, but hey, I have the full game and I only play with Lotus)
    You can enjoy PvP in it's entirety.
    You can play WvW in it's entirety.

    You can basically play one of the best MMO/game ever made in it's basic form for free, which is a very cool thing to do. Other games offer a lot of restrictions in the overall experience, and I think that GW2 is super fair with that, which helped the game a lot.

    What is your opinion on this?
    Its good, but its not the best free mmo on the market.

    SWToR has a ton more depth and gameplay available for a free mmo.

  11. #51
    The Insane Eleccybubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Algo Solar System.
    Posts
    16,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Yes. You can play the entirety of Guild Wars 2 for free. You cannot play GW2: Heart of Thorns for free, because that's an expansion. Stop being wrong. Just stop.
    So if I want to continue the story which is a core part of the game I have to BUY AN EXPANSION? Can I raid on a free account? Can I do Masteries on a free account? Can I see the new zones on a free account?

    Thank you for agreeing with me.

    Again if a new player asks I'll tell them the truth. Full game including expansions are B2P. Only the base game is F2P and it's partially restricted. You CANNOT experience all of the game on a F2P account. Especially considering certain bits of content are expansion gated. Such as the Revanant and Elite specs.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 04:51 PM.
    "Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...it is morphing time!" Gilgamesh. (Final Fantasy 5)
    I refuse to be a slave of fate! I will be the master of my own future! Shir Gold. (Phantasy Star 2)
    Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose. Ayrton Senna. (3 times Formula 1 World Champion)

  12. #52
    Scarab Lord Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    4,751
    Going by your definition WoW is F2P, so nope.

  13. #53
    Banned Jaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The White House
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Noooooo, you don't! You can access the base game for free. Yes, the XPAC and LS areas must be bought, but the basic 1-80 + PvP + WvW is FREE!!!
    Also that sucks for us people who bought the game brand new when it was first released... just to have them make it "free" as you say. If that is true, what benefit did I get for buying the game when it was first released? they should have at least given me the next expansion for free since I purchased it early on.

  14. #54
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Its good, but its not the best free mmo on the market.

    SWToR has a ton more depth and gameplay available for a free mmo.
    People are almost killing eachother in this thread about GW2 being free to play or not. SWTOR is just like GW2 - worse in some aspects, but better in others.

  15. #55
    I prefer Dungeons and Dragons Online. For me, this game is just the right amount of absurd grind with varying content, robust solo play and compelling reasons to group up when the mood strikes me. I've always loved DDO, but ~4 years ago I became rather annoyed with some aspects of the game, namely that true reincarnations didn't feel rewarding enough, the lack of scaling magic defenses made soloing epic elite impossible, the guild augment system was annoying and overly punishing to solo players, and finally, due to the constant power creep over the years, low level quests were too easy even on their highest difficulty.

    Every one of these complaints has been addressed. The guild augment system was axed entirely, with only legacy gear still possessing guild augment slots, reincarnation rewards have effectively tripled in power due to epic reincarnation and Reaper mode, magic resist is a stat now, and with Reaper mode being analogous to mythic+ and being available at level 2, low level quests are dangerous again.

    Over the last 3 months I've gone full addict mode on this game and I haven't looked back. Also they added Warlock since last time I played, and D&D Warlocks are legit as fuck. The game still has its quirks and issues, but it's a hell of a lot more fun than I remember. The new expansion, Mists of Ravenloft, comes out December 5th, and I can't wait.
    If Goku's power level increases at the same rate till the end of DBGT as it does till the end of the Frieza saga, as a SS4 Goku would have a PL of roughly 939 Quinoctogintillion. For reference that is a 260 digit number. A PL of 14,600 is required to destroy an earth sized planet. There are about 2 nonillion earths worth of mass in the universe. That means SS4 Goku can destroy the universe about 32 Octosexagintillion times over. There's a reason they made Goku a god at the end of GT.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    So if I want to continue the story which is a core part of the game I have to BUY AN EXPANSION?

    Thank you for agreeing with me.

    You seriously going to sit there and claim there isn't important content such as story gated behind expansions?

    Again if a new player asks I'll tell them the truth. Full game including expansions are B2P. Only the base game is F2P and it's partially restricted.
    Yes, you do have to buy the expansion. Because that's not part of GW2, that's part of GW2:HoT. You're so very confused about the meaning of any of these words. It's a free to play game. It has paid expansions.

  17. #57
    Banned Jaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The White House
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Yes. You can play the entirety of Guild Wars 2 for free. You cannot play GW2: Heart of Thorns for free, because that's an expansion. Stop being wrong. Just stop.
    Then the game isn't truly free now is it?

    How come you keep coming up with this bullshit that the game is free "but oh wait, you gotta buy the expansion to continue the story!". Thats just a big fat blatant lie and you know it.

  18. #58
    Old God vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere South Dakota
    Posts
    10,193
    I thought GW2 was dog shit so... I can't really say if it's the best pile of dog shit out there. I hated SWTOR, DCUO, and Star Trek Online. I thought Rift was ok but when it went F2P it also became a pile of dog shit. I would say I liked Rift better than GW2 for sure.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Then the game isn't truly free now is it?

    How come you keep coming up with this bullshit that the game is free "but oh wait, you gotta buy the expansion to continue the story!". Thats just a big fat blatant lie and you know it.
    Because expansions aren't part of the base game.

    FUCK I replied to Jaylock and took a post of his seriously. I lost the game guys!

  20. #60
    The Insane Eleccybubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Algo Solar System.
    Posts
    16,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Then the game isn't truly free now is it?

    How come you keep coming up with this bullshit that the game is free "but oh wait, you gotta buy the expansion to continue the story!". Thats just a big fat blatant lie and you know it.
    Because Jay people will do anything to defend the game as being fully F2P when it isn't.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Because expansions aren't part of the base game.
    They are part of the game itself. You continue a lot of where the game left off with those expansions.

    Stop being so disingenuous.
    "Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...it is morphing time!" Gilgamesh. (Final Fantasy 5)
    I refuse to be a slave of fate! I will be the master of my own future! Shir Gold. (Phantasy Star 2)
    Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose. Ayrton Senna. (3 times Formula 1 World Champion)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •