View Poll Results: Is GW2 the best free MMO in the MMO Market?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it is!

    103 46.19%
  • No, it's not. I like X better. (Please comment which one)

    120 53.81%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Here is a nice little point to help you and others understand:

    1) Is GW2 completely free to play? No. Because you have to purchase the expansions to truly have everything open to you.

    2) Is SWToR completely free to play? No. Because you have to sub / buy expansions to truly have everything open to you.

    3) Is WoW completely free to play? No. Because you need to buy expansions and maintain a subscription to play anything past level 20.

    You see now?

    To your point:

    1) Is GW2 free to play up to level 80? Yes.

    ---> Follow up: Can I access all the content and story once I reach level 80 for free? No.

    If the answer NO can be derived in ANY form from asking the question, is GW2 free to play, then the game isn't truly free to play.
    All of this is only true if you subscribe to a particular narrow definition of the term free to play. Lotus Victoria isn't challenging your points so much as what it means for a game to be F2P.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Then read the topic before posting and you will know exactly what I want to discuss.

    People always reply without even reading the text, and end up fighting each other for no good reason.
    You're title calls guild Wars 2 a free game. It's not a free game, it has a free to play option with heavy restrictions, which do not allow you to experience the full game or even experience the game as it was intended to be experienced.

    Additionally, according to ArenaNet themselves, the game is Buy to Play. with a Free option that encourages you to buy the full game.

    http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-...e-is-now-free/

    As quoted from the article, which quotes Mike O'Brien President and co-founder of ArenaNet:

    Guild Wars 2 is now free. You can download and play it right now, for nothing. But rather than a full free-to-play transition, ArenaNet is instead changing what you pay for. The core game is free; the upcoming expansion—Heart of Thorns—is not.

    "As we start to release expansions, it raises the question: in a buy-to-play business model, what exactly do we want you to buy in order to play?" ArenaNet president Mike O'Brien tells PC Gamer. "We've seen different games go in different directions. Sometimes it gets pretty complicated. Sometimes you have to buy the base game and then every single expansion so that you can get the latest stuff and play with your friends."

    Instead, ArenaNet wants to make things simpler. "We hold ourselves to the very highest standards of buy to play," says O'Brien. "You just have to buy one thing." For the studio, that means making the original thing free.
    None of this impacts my opinion of the game though, which I find to be very fun and entertaining if only because it's a little different in it's approach to leveling and story telling with no strict on rails questing and more exploration style game play.

    The above information is really just contesting the OP's claim that the game is free.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    So what you're saying is that it's free to play. Thanks for agreeing with exactly what I said, but doing it in a way that made you wrong.
    No, I did not agree with you. The game is not "free-to-play" because there is still a paywall gating a decent chunk of the game's content.

    See above, thank you for agreeing with me. It's 100% a free to play MMO. That doesn't mean that all content is free, it has expansion packs. The base game is 100% free. Also the things you listed to show that there's not much in the game.....that's what 90% of people do in the game.

    I'm sorry, but you're factually wrong. You still need to relinquish real cash to access the whole game's content, meaning it's not free-to-play.
    I did a Necromancer thing. Check it out! All feedback welcome!
    Update 08/17: I changed how the Bone spec's golem mechanic works, as well as some other minor changes.
    I also did a Bard thing! Questions, comments and ideas, all welcome!
    Update 09/02: Apparently the mods decided to merge my class concept thread with an existing one.

  4. #84
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    21,177
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    MMO developers are sneak now.
    Reach max level cap is just the beginning. For GW2, you have to grind for mastery points and agony resistance.
    For ESO, champion points.
    However, the Ad can claim that F2P can reach max levels !

    WoW and FF14 are actually better compare to them.

    All F2P games, there is always a catch.
    You just pick the least poison one.
    What?

    "Reaching max level is just the beginning"

    Its called end game content. Reaching max level IS the beginning of end game content in any game. No gimmie, not gotcha. At least in GW2 and ESO youre able to progress at your own pace. In WoW (i dont play FF but I know it has a sub) you have to race against your own $15 a month plus content becoming outdated.

    A new player in GW2 can experience the first raid bosses the same way players did 2 years ago.

    I love the grinds in WoW that just happen to take just long enough that I have to resub to finish them. The way I have to grind out another 10-20 ilevels every time a new boss comes out and how I can trivialize a boss just by outgearing it, not actually getting better at mastering its mechanics and my class.


    Can someone please define what a F2P MMO is?

    If I go to a store and they say "hey burgers are free" is the burger no longer free because I bought some fries too?
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-10-24 at 07:42 PM.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    What?

    "Reaching max level is just the beginning"

    Its called end game content. Reaching max level IS the beginning of end game content in any game. No gimmie, not gotcha. At least in GW2 and ESO youre able to progress at your own pace. In WoW (i dont play FF but I know it has a sub) you have to race against your own $15 a month plus content becoming outdated.

    A new player in GW2 can experience the first raid bosses the same way players did 2 years ago.

    I love the grinds in WoW that just happen to take just long enough that I have to resub to finish them. The way I have to grind out another 10-20 ilevels every time a new boss comes out and how I can trivialize a boss just by outgearing it, not actually getting better at mastering its mechanics and my class.
    Oh please you can get to 110 in WoW in no time. Stop pretending it's an uphill struggle or forces you to log on for most of the month to do so. That's just grasping to attack a game to make another appear better.

    Uhm if they are on the free account how so? Since raids are HoT content. This is what the topic is about.

    And lastly what's wrong with outgearing content? You worked to achieve that ability. And saying mechanics don't matter even when outgeared is a grasp. Go do Mythic KJ when geared and ignore the mechanics in there. You will wipe. Don't be so disingenuous towards 1 game to make GW2 appear better. And you are going to sit there and say progression guilds don't work at the mechanics or their class to get better? Again really grasping at straws here.

    GW2 doesn't need another game to make it appear better. It's a fine game in it's own right with it's flaws just like any other game out there. So stop trying to attack other games to make the game you clearly seem to love here appear better.

    I'm happy to discuss stuff about the game but seriously stop deflecting to other games to make one appear better. You know you are doing it so just stop. I have absolutely no respect for that. It's distasteful to say the least.

    The game should be good from it's own merits. Not rely on attacking other games to make it look better.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 07:51 PM.

  6. #86
    I went on their website and, yes, you can start playing free just like WoW and many other MMOs on the market but for the new expansion Path of Fire you have to pay $30. How is Guild Wars 2 is free? Can you explain?

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    I went on their website and, yes, you can start playing free just like WoW and many other MMOs on the market but for the new expansion Path of Fire you have to pay $30. How is Guild Wars 2 is free? Can you explain?
    The base game itself is F2P with restrictions.

    However to get the full experience of HoT/PoF and other things such as story, masteries, elite specs, zones, raids and whatnot you have to buy the expansion/expansions.

    You can buy PoF without having to buy HoT from what I remember just you will miss out on the HoT story which leads into PoF.

    So while one part is F2P the rest of the game does require you to throw down a purchase.

  8. #88
    19 people at the time of this post apparently have no idea what F2P means...I blame the OP for being wrong. If GW2 is F2P then so is WoW..and FF14...and any other MMO with free trial systems. Sure, GW2 free trial is more extensive than others but that is literally all it is - glorfied free trial.

    As a B2P title (which is exactly what it is) it is definitely a cut above the rest as long as all you like to do is jumping puzzles and achievements because that is the backbone of the entire game...other than exploring each zone once. The dungeons and raids are annoying gameplay and the storytelling is very average at best.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    The base game itself is F2P with restrictions.

    However to get the full experience of HoT/PoF and other things such as story, masteries, elite specs, zones, raids and whatnot you have to buy the expansion/expansions.

    You can buy PoF without having to buy HoT from what I remember just you will miss out on the HoT story which leads into PoF.

    So while one part is F2P the rest of the game does require you to throw down a purchase.
    Well, don't you think it is a bit of false advertisement to call Guild Wars 2 a free game? Free to play is a different story but the game is definitely not free. I didn't vote because the question in itself is a lie.

  10. #90
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    21,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Oh please you can get to 110 in WoW in no time. Stop pretending it's an uphill struggle or forces you to log on for most of the month to do so. That's just grasping to attack a game to make another appear better.

    Uhm if they are on the free account how so? Since raids are HoT content. This is what the topic is about.

    And lastly what's wrong with outgearing content? You worked to achieve that ability. And saying mechanics don't matter even when outgeared is a grasp. Go do Mythic KJ when geared and ignore the mechanics in there. You will wipe. Don't be so disingenuous towards 1 game to make GW2 appear better. And you are going to sit there and say progression guilds don't work at the mechanics or their class to get better? Again really grasping at straws here.

    GW2 doesn't need another game to make it appear better. It's a fine game in it's own right with it's flaws just like any other game out there. So stop trying to attack other games to make the game you clearly seem to love here appear better.

    I'm happy to discuss stuff about the game but seriously stop deflecting to other games to make one appear better. You know you are doing it so just stop. I have absolutely no respect for that.

    The game should be good from it's own merits. Not rely on attacking other games to make it look better.
    I dont care if someone like WoW or GW2. Theres obvious why a player would choose one over the other, including but no limited to how the games handle raids and difficulty.

    My comments were directly related to the post I quoted claiming that GW2 and ESO use some sort of trickery against players where the same finger can be pointed at WoW and FFXIV if you want to go that route.

  11. #91
    Nah, not really, I think Wildstar is the better mmorpg. Now I would rather play GW2 because of the population difference, but I don't think it is the best free mmo on the market.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    Well, don't you think it is a bit of false advertisement to call Guild Wars 2 a free game? Free to play is a different story but the game is definitely not free.
    Which is why Arenanet themselves don't if you look at what @Katchii has posted.

    The OP just has a very heavy bias towards the game. Which is part of the reason why they posted a misleading title.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Nah, not really, I think Wildstar is the better mmorpg. Now I would rather play GW2 because of the population difference, but I don't think it is the best free mmo on the market.
    Wildstar arguably has the best model of an MMORPG.

    PoE for a non MMORPG.

    I know I give Wildstar a lot of critique but it's model is absolutely perfect.

  13. #93
    I see, well, if we are talking about free MMOs, which Guild Wars 2 doesn't qualify, from what I've played Wildstar is my favorite one, happens to be NCSoft too.
    Last edited by Tic Tacs; 2017-10-24 at 08:05 PM.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    You can enjoy PvP in it's entirety.
    You can play WvW in it's entirety.
    These aren't good things. I'd honestly rather solo queue in LoL or Overwatch than GW2. GW2 has the worst fucking pubs in PvP of any MMO out there. At least in LoL most people are capable of listening to basic directions and following pings.

  15. #95
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post
    These aren't good things. I'd honestly rather solo queue in LoL or Overwatch than GW2. GW2 has the worst fucking pubs in PvP of any MMO out there. At least in LoL most people are capable of listening to basic directions and following pings.
    Still better than Warsong Gulch in WoW

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post
    These aren't good things. I'd honestly rather solo queue in LoL or Overwatch than GW2. GW2 has the worst fucking pubs in PvP of any MMO out there. At least in LoL most people are capable of listening to basic directions and following pings.
    Have to echo this.

    PvP at higher rank is just a cesspit. Fun in general but ranked is awful.

    WvW while a bold endeavor is for the most part mindless zerging. It's nothing groundbreaking. Not bad though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    I see, well, if we are talking about free MMOs, which Guild Wars 2 doesn't qualify, from what I've played Wildstar is my favorite one, happens to be NCSoft too.
    NCSoft don't really do much with GW2 anymore as far as my knowledge goes.

    They used to publish it but now Arenanet do.

    But echoing Wildstar yet again. Such a fair model but sadly that fair model isn't making them any money because there's nothing to entice players.

  17. #97
    Banned Jaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The White House
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Still better than Warsong Gulch in WoW
    Can I ask @Lotus Victoria do / did you ever play wow?

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Can I ask @Lotus Victoria do / did you ever play wow?
    I doubt it Jay. Literally just deflecting because someone said something bad about GW2.

  19. #99
    Wildstar? Well, I love cartoonish graphics, zones and combat is amazing and the game is very polished. Free.

  20. #100
    Going to ignore the arguing over semantics and answer the question this way: Were I to grow bored of FF14 for whatever reason, I'd probably see if I could get some of my friends to come back to GW2 with me, since at worst it may cost them however much to purchase HoT + PoF (I would only need the latter). The game having no sub fee and the only thing that I'd say qualifies as a requirement, the expansions, being an one-time purchase, makes it that much easier to hop back in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •