Poll: Is GW2 the best free MMO in the MMO Market?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    There is no clear path here. And again pretending you have a moral high ground doesn't excuse a heavy bias.

I not once said you couldn't like/love this game nor did I even say you weren't allowed to create a thread. But right now you are shining the community in a bad light. And no it's not mutually exclusive to this game other games have that one person. I know of at least 4 other discussion areas within this forum that have it.

So you literally just proved my point. Your bias is clear.

There is really liking the game and then there is going all out to act like it's God's greatest gift to mankind by literally dumping on other games to make others appear better as an example. And yes you and another poster in here are absolutely guilty of that.
    If the amount of time you have spent responding was instead spent earning minimum wage and using that on the game, the game would technically be free...can we agree on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    If the amount of time you have spent responding was instead spent earning minimum wage and using that on the game, the game would technically be free...can we agree on that?
    Well it wouldn't since I'd still be paying actual money for it. And why would I want to get minimum wage when I have a well paying job?

I can easily afford PoF if I want. I've bought it for friends. I bought HoT on launch and it was disappointing to say the least however it got better over time. I'm avoiding PoF until I get a clear opinion from some friends who are still playing. The ones who quit said there isn't much to do.

I wasn't debating that part of the game is/isn't F2P. Part of the game is. To experience all of what Guild Wars 2 has to fully offer then it's B2P.

And all I can say is if you have any issue with how I post here then report it to a moderator or use the ignore function built into the website.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-28 at 10:49 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    If I only judge the free bit of the game then the answer is definately no.

Unrelated but the service is appalling too. Been waiting more than a week for an answer. Was glad when I saw a message from GW support in my mailbox and... it was an automated respons. Disgusting.

Deleted
    Found this topic while researching stuff for GW2.

I was a hardcore Lineage2 player when it was subscription based on f2p. Honestly the f2p model in that game is the biggest p2w. Anyway if the game was not full of bots, and PvP assisting programs it was still bearable. However it requires you to grind like a mad man. But still one of the best models for a game.

Played Archage for about an year. The RNG can kill you. I had 3 accounts to sustain the pay wall and buy apex and be relevant in the game. It was a grind fest game too due to the RNG. It can literally make you quit the game. Huge p2w also, but that can be neglected if you get lucky once or twice. However the game while it has some great ideas is horrible. Even the NPCs and the mobs move like retards. The water battles are annoying as hell.

Uninstalled Blade and Soul in 30 minutes. My kung fu master apparently did 1-2-some bad ass roundhouse turning kick instead of a 1-2-low kick or a 1-2-roundhouse kick. I was very and I mean very disappointed with this. I myself am a boxing and kick boxing hobbyist. The opening story was bad. And the game moved badly.

World of tanks - not a mmorpg but is a very fun game, until you feel the meta and play the same maps in the same 5-10 tanks, against the same 5-10 tanks. That game is an insane camp fest.

I am playing now from a week or two GW2. Got to 80 and exotic gear via WvW. I must say WvW and 5v5 PvP is what got me into this game. I always wanted a game where you can exp and get gear with PvP not by killing mobs and dungeons. In fact Lineage2 has made me hate PvE so much that I puke inside my mouth every time I need to kill a mob.

Now regarding if it is f2p or not. Imo there are builds, I am using a ranger one, which are competitive in the arena. I have played for a week and I am silver in the 5v5 arena and I do fine in WvW. Not a game changer but I am fine and I have fun. The only annoying restrictions I have experienced right now is not been able to play a Dragon Hunter I wanted to - how bad ass is to have a shield a sword and a long bow! And I wanted to play a healing druid but I am restricted. Also not been able to buy sigils and runes from the post is annoying as hell, luckily I was send runes from people when I asked.

Now I am not sure what content the expansions provide but I am not interested. I came to gw2 to PvP and I PvP non stop. Yesterday I was at Vabbi WvW for 12 hours. I am not interested in story, in zones, in raids or dungeons. I press WvW or PvP icon and I am good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by ins View Post
    Now I am not sure what content the expansions provide but I am not interested. I came to gw2 to PvP and I PvP non stop. Yesterday I was at Vabbi WvW for 12 hours. I am not interested in story, in zones, in raids or dungeons. I press WvW or PvP icon and I am good to go!
    For PvP/Wv, I think the expacs would only add the elite specs for you, as you mentioned the Druid and the Dragon hunter, and a bunch of others. Some gear stat combo's maybe, but doubt it matters a lot.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I can easily afford PoF if I want. I've bought it for friends. I bought HoT on launch and it was disappointing to say the least however it got better over time. I'm avoiding PoF until I get a clear opinion from some friends who are still playing. The ones who quit said there isn't much to do.
    I just bought both for me for Christmas. While exploring the first map in PoF I saw a bunch of vendor icons on the map, so I headed there just to be told by a bouncer that the location was for PoF Deluxe/Ultimate buyers only. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I just bought both for me for Christmas. While exploring the first map in PoF I saw a bunch of vendor icons on the map, so I headed there just to be told by a bouncer that the location was for PoF Deluxe/Ultimate buyers only. LOL.
    Yeah, there's a hub area like in DR (queens pavilion) or the one about the Vigil place or there's a ship in one of the LS3 zones, or...

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Yeah, there's a hub area like in DR (queens pavilion) or the one about the Vigil place or there's a ship in one of the LS3 zones, or...
    Oh, I believe there are more. It was still surprising. Especially as I've just come back to GW2 after missing three years (joining some friends). I like most of the new things. Not this one, obviously, but with the waypoints, finding another spot ain't that much bother.

Deleted
    For PvP/Wv, I think the expacs would only add the elite specs for you, as you mentioned the Druid and the Dragon hunter, and a bunch of others. Some gear stat combo's maybe, but doubt it matters a lot.
    I does not really. I actually levelled necro as I found out it is a better class for WvW than ranger via the Knowldge Tomes, some story and some quick 1-30 yellow mob killing with boosters. And honestly I believe that vanila necro build is one of the best builds one can find for WvW. Still having a lot of fun in WvW and PvP. I am close to Gold league now.

I found a couple of new restrictions which annoyed me a bit while leveling this necro. First of all was the Black Lion Post and apparently there are restrictions for a lot of items which you can buy from there. I tried to level with cooking few levels, but I could not buy a lot of tools and etc for it. I will perhaps never craft in this game again.

The second annoying restriction is that you cant go to Lions Arch until level 35.
    And finally that you can not sell stuff on the trading post. I am not sure what I am supposed to do with all the junk I get from salvaging items. If someone can help here I will be glad.

But honestly if someone is looking for a PvP and massive sieges I would recommend the game. There is plenty to be done with the vanila classes.

What annoys me the most is the complexity of the game. For example I still cant figure it out how to make gear better than exotic via PvP or WvW and how to use most vendors and the things in my wallet. Again will be helpful if someone can link me to somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    what do you expect from a game with lootboxes and insanely broken levelling..

Want to level through combat -> it takes a bit (good, it should)
    Want to level through cra.. ow wait, I was max before I finished that sentence

I loved the game to bits, but the inability I had to replay LS missions (breaking of Lion's Arch is a good example) just made me quit. When a game expects me to keep playing just to get story "because lol limited time is immersive yo" something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Want to level through combat -> it takes a bit (good, it should)
    Want to level through cra.. ow wait, I was max before I finished that sentence
    Crafting to 500 gets you 10 levels, which costs a LOT of gold. Not sure that matters?

I loved the game to bits, but the inability I had to replay LS missions (breaking of Lion's Arch is a good example) just made me quit. When a game expects me to keep playing just to get story "because lol limited time is immersive yo" something is wrong.
    They changed that years ago...

Crafting to 500 gets you 10 levels, which costs a LOT of gold. Not sure that matters?

They changed that years ago...
    Lots of gold.. In a game where making lots of gold is piss easy.. Wow! Such hardships, must be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Lots of gold.. In a game where making lots of gold is piss easy.. Wow! Such hardships, must be tough.
    So you're saying a new F2P player has a lot of gold? The point is that getting the gold to level quickly probably means you have already leveled a few, so what does it matter? I have a ton of level up books, and a few boosts to level 50, so I could make 4-5 level 80's instantly, but does that reflect on leveling at all?

It lacks anything even remotely resembling competition considering virtually every free-to-play MMO out there is terrible and not much more than a way to scam idiots out of their money (not that Guild Wars 2 is much better in that regard).

Deleted
    GW2 is not free. No game is.

If you play the free portion, you can play the game, but you will be missing a lot. Elite specs, farming spots, metas, raids, etc.
    The free part on GW2 is just an introduction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. Hands down.

I dont play GW2 any more. (or WoW for that matter)

But GW2 had something no other MMO offered me.
    Fun solo PvE, fun "questing", fun leveling!

In any other game, including WoW, leveling felt a lot like a drag. Like a job. Not in GW2.
    Vistas, Puzzles, Jumping Puzzles, Dynamic Events,
    Exploring is so fun in this game, and it is very much rewarded, unlike other MMOs where you just lost precious leveling-time.

And no more of that prehistoric system of "find pre-requisite quests, pick up quest, wander a thousand miles, deliver quest, pick up follow-up quest, repeat".
    You just react on what's happening there, and it usually turns out it's a quest.

Also, the fact that combat is based more on the action and not on the UI (like in wow) is a lot more fun.
    And no 30 keybinds here, awesome.

Also, the BGs (senarios) are more fair, competitive, and skill-based than in WoW, since everyone is offered the same gear.
    ___

The bad things about it imo are:

WvW soon becomes pointless and repetitive. It could have been great, but.. oh i miss WAR.

No collision detection. Completely ruins PvP (especially WvW).

No "trinity". In dungeons it often feels like it's "every man for himself".
    There's almost no roles, and there's very little teamplay, because there's no trinity.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2017-12-30 at 12:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post

No "trinity". In dungeons it often feels like it's "every man for himself".
    There's almost no roles, and there's very little teamplay, because there's no trinity.
    Thats actually wrong if you're playing instanced pve (not the old dungeons).

Idealy in T4 fractals you want someone who can throw out heals and another who can throw out boons.

In raids you need tanks, healers, and supports.

The dynamic in pvp/wvw is support, control, damage.

Its just that in GW2 playing a specific role isn't a hard requirement. Theres no one "aggro" algorithm in the game. The tank could be the closest person to a boss, the furthest, the one with the mouth toughness, squishiest, the unlucky player of the day, etc.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

??? it's not free is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    ??? it's not free is it?
    Nope.

The base game is with restrictions. Expansions are B2P and unlock the minor restrictions on a free account.

To avoid going down this rabbit hole again. The game is limited F2P. What is locked behind the expansions are Elite Specs, Masteries, Mounts, New zones, story content, raids and much more.

Now if the expansions were F2P I'd say yes this is the best free MMO on the market.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've only been trying this out for a few days now but I have to say that GW2 has its advantages and a lot of disadvantages for the F2P player. Yes you can get to level cap without having to buy the game but you're restricted to the things you can do/buy in game. I've looked on the trading post several times and saw that there were some common items I couldn't even buy. Lots and lots of consumables you can't buy/use too. Then there's the whole specialization and mastery you can't even use unless you buy an expansion. So far the story has been good but its annoying as hell walking everywhere.