Poll: Is GW2 the best free MMO in the MMO Market?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Saying this game is free is like some one getting a house and "Oh you can move it now and its totally free, BUUTTT we gonna charge you down the line several times so you can keep living in this house."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I thought GW2 was dog shit so... I can't really say if it's the best pile of dog shit out there. I hated SWTOR, DCUO, and Star Trek Online. I thought Rift was ok but when it went F2P it also became a pile of dog shit. I would say I liked Rift better than GW2 for sure.
    GW2 isn't dogshit by a long shot. Its just not the best "free" to play mmo on the market as the OP suggests.

GW2 does a lot of things well, but other games do it better.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Then the game isn't truly free now is it?
    Going by your logic, no "free to play" game is truly free to play.

The base game is free. That's it. It's simple, and yet people are losing their minds over this.

GW2 isn't dogshit by a long shot. Its just not the best "free" to play mmo on the market as the OP suggests.

GW2 does a lot of things well, but other games do it better.
    This.

It's the best B2P MMO. And has a restricted F2P model where you can see most of the content.

In terms of F2P games in general that honor goes to Warframe, SWTOR and PoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Going by your logic, no "free to play" game is truly free to play.

The base game is free. That's it. It's simple, and yet people are losing their minds over this.
    Ahaha sorry mate but that would make WoW F2P. You are reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Well yeah. It's clear we established the OP's blatant bias towards the game.

7+ Year Old Account
    You can't access the entirety of the base game in WoW, so it is not F2P. It is a demo. You are reaching.

Wellll the base game for wow is 1-60, and that isn't free to play last I checked. Unless wow F2P no longer stops at 20, then Lotus Victoria has a valid point.

In my mind, you guys are quibbling way too much over definitions. To me, what makes a game F2P is that it can be played for free in a format that is much more expansive than your average trial. No two games are going to have the exact same models, so definitions shouldn't be narrowed too much. Imo, it makes more sense to group GW2 with SWTOR than wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Wellll the base game for wow is 1-60, and that isn't free to play last I checked. Unless wow F2P no longer stops at 20, then Lotus Victoria has a valid point.

In my mind, you guys are quibbling way too much over definitions. To me, what makes a game F2P is that it can be played for free in a format that is much more expansive than your average trial. No two games are going to have the exact same models, so definitions shouldn't be narrowed too much. Imo, it makes more sense to group GW2 with SWTOR than wow.
    GW2 and SWTOR are the exact same model. F2P to a certain extent then to experience the entirety of the games content you need expansions.

Base game is f2p with a few restrictions in some cases but if you want the entire experience then you buy the expansions.

I'm not even trying to deny the base game is F2P. But to tell a player they can play every single part of Guild Wars 2 for free is flat out lying. You cannot do the entire story, you cannot use elite specs, you cannot explore the new zones, you cannot raid, you cannot take part in the new events and so on.

WoW isn't a good comparison because it requires a monthly fee.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-24 at 05:08 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post

I don't understand the overreactions as well. Some people around here clearly are too edgy. Thanks for understanding the point.

Deleted
    Noooooo, you don't! You can access the base game for free. Yes, the XPAC and LS areas must be bought, but the basic 1-80 + PvP + WvW is FREE!!!
    Call it the base game all you want. Most people call it a free trial or a demo

You can't access the entirety of the base game in WoW, so it is not F2P. It is a demo. You are reaching.
    I just called my Guild Wars 2 friend and he just told me how not free the game really is.

"You have to throw a lot of money at it just so it feels like a game you can play seriously."
    GW2 nerd 2017

It might be a good MMORPG but it isn't F2P.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just called my Guild Wars 2 friend and he just told me how not free the game really is.

"You have to throw a lot of money at it just so it feels like a game you can play seriously."
    GW2 nerd 2017
    Uh huh. Go on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand the overreactions as well. Some people around here clearly are too edgy. Thanks for understanding the point.
    Here is a nice little point to help you and others understand:

1) Is GW2 completely free to play? No. Because you have to purchase the expansions to truly have everything open to you.

2) Is SWToR completely free to play? No. Because you have to sub / buy expansions to truly have everything open to you.

3) Is WoW completely free to play? No. Because you need to buy expansions and maintain a subscription to play anything past level 20.

You see now?

To your point:

1) Is GW2 free to play up to level 80? Yes.

---> Follow up: Can I access all the content and story once I reach level 80 for free? No.

If the answer NO can be derived in ANY form from asking the question, is GW2 free to play, then the game isn't truly free to play.

7+ Year Old Account
    If the answer NO can be derived in ANY form from asking the question, is GW2 free to play, then the game isn't truly free to play.
    Read my original post. Read the topics that I discribed. People are overreacting without even reading my topic, and I've described exactly what the f2p game offers to you. You don't need to tell me what I already know.

For me, I think GW2 is ok. But I never find it having any staying power in my thoughts and I often play for a few days, then drop it for a very long period.

I'd say there are 3 MMOs tied for top in my mind that are free to play.
    Warframe holds me the most, but I find secret world the most immersive. I me tion 3 due to the very different styles and themes.

Warframe (which could be argued as not being enough of an MMO because of the instancing of a party of 4, unless you go to Cetus or a Relay.) My friend has been able to sell items for the cash currency, and farm everything he wants. Money in warframe is either for cosmetics, or instant rewards you could have worked for.

Wildstar: a great MMO with a fairly bad start that crippled it's reputation. It's got one of the best housing systems around, you can get a currency that lets you buy off the store without cash, and it has a good balance of solo and group content. The community leaves a bit to be desired.

Secret World Legends: they rebooted a subscription game which became buy to play, and now it works as free to play. Much of the paid content in the past is now free. New playwrs may find themselves somewhat limited, but catch up due ti the snowball-like nature of progression. And having investigation missions is an awesome thing, even if most just look up guides.

Read my original post. Read the topics that I discribed. People are overreacting without even reading my topic, and I've described exactly what the f2p game offers to you. You don't need to tell me what I already know.
    Your title is misleading. It's not honest.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your title is misleading. It's not honest.
    Then read the topic before posting and you will know exactly what I want to discuss.

People always reply without even reading the text, and end up fighting each other for no good reason.

Then read the topic before posting and you will know exactly what I want to discuss.

People always reply without even reading the text, and end up fighting each other for no good reason.
    I read your post thoroughly.

First we eliminate all sort of misleading information, only then do we proceed.

Considering you're unable or not keen on admitting a simple fact,

/thread
    Last edited by tikcol; 2017-10-24 at 05:40 PM.

Here is a nice little point to help you and others understand:

1) Is GW2 completely free to play? No. Because you have to purchase the expansions to truly have everything open to you.

2) Is SWToR completely free to play? No. Because you have to sub / buy expansions to truly have everything open to you.

3) Is WoW completely free to play? No. Because you need to buy expansions and maintain a subscription to play anything past level 20.

You see now?

To your point:

1) Is GW2 free to play up to level 80? Yes.

---> Follow up: Can I access all the content and story once I reach level 80 for free? No.

All of this is only true if you subscribe to a particular narrow definition of the term free to play. Lotus Victoria isn't challenging your points so much as what it means for a game to be F2P.