Poll: Is GW2 the best free MMO in the MMO Market?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Played it for a few months but it just simply doesn't stand a chance against WoW. WoW is just so much more fun and beautiful.

It's a good game on its own though, no bad feelings.

Yes, yes it is.

Deleted
    I don't remember how I voted, but I guess it was yes However, it is not THE best, it has some issues in wvwvw due to not being well optimized. Atm I play Black desert and it is a bit better in terms of pvp (there is world pvp ) and the sandboxy style with the market and afk training skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    I made this thread because I want to know the opinions of others. I like the game, you dislike it, that's it.
    You made reasonable well worded post, don't pay attention to this guys.

Deleted
    I love the world of Guild Wars 2 (Guild Wars >>>>>>) and I've tried at least 3 times to play GW2 but I can't stand the gameplay : so I'd rather prefer an other MMO with the good ol' trinity system and building skills that we are used to (pick & choose).

For what is available for free, maybe. All of the relevant content is behind a paywall but AFAIK there is enough to do with the free portion to even get the original legendary weapons.

The best part of GW2 IMO is looks and combat. It uses and amazing blend of tab targeting, skill shots and physics based collision. You can swing your sword endlessly and if it "hits" an enemy, it will deal damage. Lastly it has the best PvP system that I've seen in any MMO, scaled and customizable.

Outside of that, everything about the game just bored me to tears. Terrible story, messy dungeons due to lack of trinity, and seeing every major content boss or WvW encounter being pure zerg.
    Last edited by kail; 2018-04-27 at 02:48 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

It really isn't free... However I do think GW2 has the best payment model of all MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty good, but it's no RS07
    Intel Core i7 2700K @ 5.1Ghz | Asus P8Z68-V | 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600MHz (9-9-9-24) | MSI GTX 980 | Lian-Li PC-P50WB | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (Games/Data) | Corsair RM-1000 80+ Gold | Corsair H110i
    http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4808707

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say "Maybe".
    Depends on what one wants. I would say that qualitatively, it comes out about as good as Star Trek Online or Elder Scrolls Online (both of which allow free gameplay without expansions; not sure if Star Trek Online actually has any, though). They do some things better, some things worse (I mean, I really like how Elder Scrolls Online does player housing, for example). Event system, however, is by far the best in GW2, hands down.
    So, subjectively, I would put it in the 1-3 slot for me, when it comes to "at least mostly free" games that are not requiring any pay to play to massive extent (looking at you "free" builder games) and that I have tried.

I absolutely love GW2 artstyle, or at least the concept arts, login screens and cutscenes. Combat and class design also seemed very fun. But then it felt to me like there are no incentives for actually playing the game, no clear lines of progression and not enough content to continue playing after getting past the main story. It has fallen flat for me after just a few weeks of playing, grinding world events gets boring quickly. Maybe I was missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Well I just tried coming back today
    Horrible lag, don't know if the servers were bad or what but no other game was having issues and yet abilities would delay upwards of 15 seconds
    my character feels hopelessly behind to Path of Fire content and can't take on 15 mobs in the first quest

maybe I would have more luck with the boosted character :/
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

My order of MMOs goes like this - FF14,WoW,GW2

Deleted
    No it isn't.

The game is the best MMO in the market but it isn't the best if you don't buy the game. For Example while BnS is hot garbage as full game, it is still better to play than GW2 without buying the game.

The free-to-play restrictions in GW2 just are too massive, you can't access the best maps, you don't get daily rewards, you cant mail, whisper, use market, use the best classes etc. Not to mention playing WvW and PvP without being able to communicate with players and have the best specs is practically impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The funny part is that even if you buy GW2 in full, it still behaves like a F2P game.

As much as I love many elements of the gameplay, I just endlessly feel nagged by the game and its systems.
    Haha I dont think it does nag that much except when youre trying to sell stuff on trading post or salvage/open loot. I like the game because it lets me do PvP and WvW without caring about much. Some people look for purely PvE MMO which are unfortunately FF14 and WoW as endless gear grind doesn't matter in a game where you only fight mobs.

The entire base game is free to play. I spent $120 on a deluxe edition at launch, and spent a year running all the story mode dungeons, getting 100% world explorer and doing dragon timers. It was money and time well spent. The game has faded over time for me due to weaker content, ability incrementalism, and poor story/characters, but the core value is fantastic.

My favorite content is now free. Glad people have a chance to see it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Is LOTRO f2p?

No

It isn't F2P. You have to splash out cash for expansions which give you all of the meta builds as well as allowing you to raid and play with the bulk of the playerbase. You also need to spend a lot of cash (or farm for an ungodly amount of time) to unlock stuff like bank slots, bag slots, permanent mining tools and so on.

Out of other B2P games, not really no. I would not say it is the best - middle of the pack i'd say. Many aspects of the game are dead or abandoned. Dungeons - dead. WVWVW - dead. EOTM - dead. Most maps and metas - dead. Whats left is good, but its shallow. GW2 is a very shallow game, thats how i'd describe it. I've played it for a long time but its one of those games kind of like D3 - you just zone out and do some stuff and maybe you end up getting a legendary. Thats really all there is to do. If progression is your goal you will hit a roadblock extremely quickly in ascended gear, which will cost you 250ish gold. After that you're done progression wise.

To anyone looking to get in GW2, i'd recommend downloading it and logging in once every 3-5 months. You get the current patch content for free that way and don't have to shell out even MORE money (seriously, buying this game right now must cost like £60 or more just to get all the content). Then, after a year or two, you can open up the game and play for 2-4 weeks. Then you go back to the 'log in once per 3-5 months' cycle. Repeat.

I don't know how people play this game full time. It is incredibly boring after exhausting the new zone, the new story and doing the raid once. Its not like WoW where there is a gear treadmill to keep you entertained or an endless plethora of mounts to farm. Rerolling or being an alt-o-holic is also a no go as you don't want to fork out another £30 to get all of the available bag slots for your new character. So you stick to one character and drain the new content in about 4 days.

Its sad because the game is really good, the monetisation system just ruins it. If the game had a sub fee of £9 a month or less and in return you got all that shit for free for all characters, that would improve the game a lot.

Oh and don't get me started on the performance issues. I don't know what it is with MMO developers - it feels like WoW is the only MMO on the planet that can get their game to run well, and the damn thing is working on a 20 year old engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    No joke.

Take GW2, give it a monthly sub, remove all the constantly nagging bullshit from the game that results from being "F2P but not really", and I feel like it'd be a better game. So much of the games' design revolves around nagging you to buy shit and it's frustrating.
    I don't get it.

If you'd like a sub for stuff like bag slots then why not just spend $15 month towards bag slots/bank slots/shared slots...whatever you feel need. Buy it once, use it forever, dont pay for stuff you dont need/want in a sub.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It is the best value for a premium MMO since it has no monthly fee which WoW will hopefully do away with and it would not effect the token since they would just continue to sell gold for money instead so that is a moot point people seem to like making.

Because no matter how much you spend the game will never stop nagging about it. It's not going to change just because I bought this thing or that thing.

It's always going to be, "Haha, out of character slots. Haha, out of bag space and here's 167 more blue junk items you're picking up. Haha, out of gathering tools. Haha, out of salvage kits. Haha, there's new content but it's actually a legendary for whales to buy. Haha, you wanted to try out new builds and/or stat distributions but it costs 521 gold. And of course, Haha, content is rarely actually rewarding to do."
    Just as long as you're aware that most of that is in your head...

The game doesn't nag about anything. If you have never run out of bag space in WoW or any other sub-game, I dunno what you're doing. If you bought a copper salvage kit years ago, it's still a copper salvage kit now, not $15 a month. WoW does have more character slots, but they're not unlimited either.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."