Thread: 8.0 Stat Squish

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    While there may be no technical reason like we had in MoP with the 4 billion Boss HP maximum, due to the exponential growth we get some completely different problems sooner rather then later.

The main example would simply be balancing over the whole expansion. Yes, you can have a road map, but at some point these 15% more power or whatever between tiers will be so large that you can start to do the previous raid in really small groups with only a few pieces of gear from the current tier. I mean, you don't have to look any further than Mione being able to solo 10 normal Gul'dan, the endboss of the last tier. And we are not even at the end of the expansion, a whole tier is still going to happen. I wouldn't be suprised if all of Nighthold could be soloed by some people at the end of the current expansion.

As for me, I am also for a level squish as well as a stat squish. The level squish would even accompy it, simply by removing the stats you would gain from regular level ups from the then missing levels. Additionally, it would allow Blizzard to pace out new abilities better, so we won't have gaps of 10+ levels without gaining a single new ability.

Quote Originally Posted by GutsAP View Post
    There's zero technical reason for a stat squish, they aren't going to do one just because aspies don't like big numbers.

We'd have to get above the quintillions for there to be a real reason for a stat squish.
    A stat squish so we don't have a first tier player in an expansion and a third tier being the same power difference as TBC to Cataclysm is big enough reason for me.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

I really wont be surprised if they reduce the levels back to 60, reduce the ilvls back to 100-200 and player HP/dmg back to TBC values.

Also we reached the max ilvl which the game support, so ilvl squish is comming.
    Last edited by Adlian; 2017-10-26 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    I really wont be surprised if they reduce the levels back to 60, reduce the ilvls back to 100-200 and player HP/dmg back to TBC values.

Also we reached the max ilvl which the game support, so ilvl squish is comming.
    Huh, is that so?

I wonder what the stats would have been like without the squashes we've had already, I wonder if anyone has calculated the sort of damage and health we would have had if they hadn't introduced it

Quote Originally Posted by GutsAP View Post
    There's zero technical reason for a stat squish, they aren't going to do one just because aspies don't like big numbers.

We'd have to get above the quintillions for there to be a real reason for a stat squish.
    You're right, not wanting to count commas in a number that takes up half your screen is aspie shit.

/r/iamverysmart gfy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    If these big numbers are so easy to deal with why is it that I asked anyone to carry out simple maths like multiplication the first thing almost anyone would do is type it into a calculator. The reason is simple, we struggle as humans evaluate big numbers into meaningful and manageable values.

So unless you can do the maths in your head, you have exactly the same issues as everyone else.
    It's a matter of learning how to use scientific notation or prefixes. You can calculate big numbers just as easily. 6k, 6M, 6G. It's just a six with a letter. You can round up the small digits and it doesn't matter.

However, I do think that giant numbers look dumb when scrolling on your character or on your target and they can be hard to read sometimes because they are so big. They could easily shorten them like they do in Diablo. For example instead of seeing 2,345,018 just write 2.34M. Right now the numbers are so big and they jump so fast that I basically ignore them and look at my damage meter addon instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    The main example would simply be balancing over the whole expansion. Yes, you can have a road map, but at some point these 15% more power or whatever between tiers will be so large that you can start to do the previous raid in really small groups with only a few pieces of gear from the current tier.
    Uh, what? It will still be 15%. That doesn't change. The relative difference doesn't grow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    It's a matter of learning how to use scientific notation or prefixes. You can calculate big numbers just as easily. 6k, 6M, 6G. It's just a six with a letter. You can round up the small digits and it doesn't matter.
    I think the most important part is actually significant figures. Those with issues generally try to carry out calculations with impractically high precision.
    Last edited by huth; 2017-10-26 at 10:50 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    This would be great, we really need it.

My Thoughts on this topic: Blizzard should Make a level Squish pulling down the max level to 60 for the next expansion and for every future expansion. Hear me out on this,

Since the next Expansion would get up to 120, blizzard could make it so that each 2 levels become 1 level, so you would need dubble expriance to get 1 level, this way you would level the same way but not have 120 levels but only 60.

Then when you reach max level there would be a power level system for each expansion, like (Artifact power in Legion).
    -

One Learns most when Teaching others!

Stats squish is inevitable but thanks to Warforged, Titanforged, 4 raid difficulties, 4 dungeon difficulties with one being technically unlimited, I'm afraid we'll have to squish every year. That sucks.

I don't even understand why the stats have jumped so high between the end of WoD and the beginning of Legion. That was insane for 0 benefit (leveling). I can get the point for raiding purposes (because of the tons of difficulties and titanforged stuff), but for leveling ?

10+ Year Old Account
    lets write an addon wich divides all the numbers shown in skada or the dmg numbers by 1000
    All the complainers could use it and the rest is happy with its 6million crits

Quote Originally Posted by spacebuddha View Post
    lets write an addon wich divides all the numbers shown in skada or the dmg numbers by 1000
    All the complainers could use it and the rest is happy with its 6million crits
    https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/squishme

I tried. didn't garner much interest.

Stat squish is irrelevant. Whether you do 3 thousand or 3 million damage, what matters is how power progression is managed through the next expac.

They need a permanent solution to stat inflation, but they told us that "exponential growth is well understood", meaning it's easier for them to balance/tweak around. As always, they exchange development convenience over elegance.