Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    people still buy Ryzen after Coffee is out, WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    people still buy Ryzen after Coffee is out, WTF

I can see some reason:

It's honestly not possible to reliably purchase high-end coffee lake at the moment and it runs so hot a premium is required to take full advantage of it.

Amd runs cooler and can hit 4.0ghz on the stock cooler. If all you care about is multi core performance than Ryzen is fine.

Am4 is supported until 2020 and they're just gonna keep slapping cores on the newer chips.

You don't need after market coolers just to keep the fucking temps manageable but if you got the cash coffee lake is a great purchase. You get multi core performance + all the frames.

Amd is a gamble though but coffee lake is the safe purchase. I'm tempted to get a Ryzen build because I'm tired of waiting and all I do is play older fucking games so emulators, flash games, and older aaa games.

Ryzen isn't bad for a cheap workstation/gaming hybrid but Intel is fucking king again.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2017-10-27 at 10:02 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity91 View Post
    Intel 6 core CPUs dominate amd 8 core CPUs.

Obvious choice is obvious.
    In gaming Intel is faster yes, in proper threaded software ... they are not.
    You have to state the goal of use, if only gaming Intel has the advantage as well as AVX tasks f.ex.

If Streaming + Gaming then AMD has the advantage (as seen by the vids of Gamers Nexus)
    If any content creation is involved (barring Adobe Premiere which is poorly optimized) AMD is also ahead.

You have to be specific.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Coffelake was released 2 weeks ago.
    Coffee Lake was PAPER launched on the 5th of October.
    You should look around for availability, which is even worse than nVidia's GTX 10 series launch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    I will always buy Intel because they are more power efficent. AMD might be cheaper but you pay more in the long run with higher energy bills.
    You have no idea regarding AMD's Ryzen CPUs do you?
    Because this statement is HILARIOUSLY false.

I suggest you read up on AMD Ryzen 3/5/7 reviews properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dreammage View Post
    Support AMD vs. Intel chipsets in the business world for a while and you'll see why. Accounting software such as MS Dynamics runs 50%+ faster on a dual core i5 vs. a quad core AMD chip all day long. It's not even close in performance. As long as companies keep scripting their software towards Intel chips, people will keep buying them.
    Actually I've done this with Dynamics AX when I worked at Noratel and I can tell you that that statement was true with the previous gen AMD stuff.
    Not even remotely so with Ryzen.

Software in general (when it comes to stuff like this) generally doesn't REALLY favour any uArch over another.
    It's purely due to horsepower related stuff... that's why from the get-go AMD has been promoting stuff like content creation for their chips.

That's not to say there isn't a SLIGHT favour possibility but it's deffo mostly irrelevant.

Like AMD CPUs not supporting some Instruction Sets etc... we're talking about Pentium 3/very early 4 era.

- - - Updated - - -

===========================================================

That's not to say Intel sucks.
    Hell no they do not, I have here one of the VERY few 8700Ks in the Netherlands since we're hit with the same retarded stock shortage.

I intend to create a gaming rig for myself with some offhand freelance work I do.
    Generally I had HEDT stuff for this until it went up in flames (literally).

If I were price conscious and did the things I used to I would likely grab a Ryzen 5 1600(X) or Ryzen 7 1700(X) because they offer the better bang for the buck in multi-threading and provides that little bit of Oomph more than the Intel Core i5/i7 Coffee Lake series.

But right now I just want the strongest gaming CPU and the rest "sometimes I do X and sometimes Y" in terms of System/Workplace Admin stuff.

There is a definite advantage to having a crapton of threads when doing multiple things at the same time and there's an advantage to several strong single-thread performance applications.

And adding to the point of overclocking:
    If I just do gaming with a hint of stuff at the side, sure we can go into that direction and extract more performance out of either i5-8600K or i7-8700K, there's no denying that but if I go full on business mode I will not overclock any CPU and leave it at stock because often times the stuff I do I don't want to risk a crash on.
    I had many programmes work perfectly fine with an OC but then (as an example) have the system crash hard when trying to restore a Hard Drive so I can retrieve data from it.
    And many system admins know that if you get a broken drive to work like that you generally get 1 shot to get the data off before it's damaged further and possibly unrecoverable... so there are sides to every choice you make.

Both are extremely good chips and options:
    Ryzen sacrifices some gaming speed for overall higher multi-threading capability so if you do such things Ryzen is a fantastic choice.
    If you care about gaming and gaming only and max out FPS at all costs ... then Intel is your choice.

But let's be honest both can multi-thread well and both can game well.
    If you're already crapping out 100 FPS on Ryzen at your settings and 120 on Intel... do you really care?
    If you're rendering a video in 12:00 on Intel and 10:00 (talking in minutes here) on AMD do you really care?

Even if you're a CS:GO online hero you cannot see and react to 500 FPS vs. 350 FPS in terms of gaming, it's a physical impossibility.
    Your nervous system and muscle reaction time cannot react in either 2 or 3 ms.

And on the rendering bit ... if you care about those time differences it means you shouldn't be playing in this class of arena regardless.
    You should be on HEDT Skylake-X or ThreadRipper, whatever your budget can afford.

In all honesty:
    Pick whatever you WANT to go with, depending on factors you have to value yourself ... such as availability.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Intel has always been ahead the best buy for gaming, even after Ryzen came out.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

If Streaming + Gaming then AMD has the advantage (as seen by the vids of Gamers Nexus)
    no, 8700K beats Ryzen 7 there as well

7700K can lose depending on game, yeah

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    no, 8700K beats Ryzen 7 there as well

7700K can lose depending on game, yeah
    Not really, the 8700K does provide better frame rates (as did the 7700K for the most part) but the dropped frames in terms of viewership showed the difference.

The Ryzen 7 still held the edge simply because of the amount of threads to produce a playable result and streaming.

DotA 2 is about the only game that absolutely does NOT like Ryzen in Gamers Nexus' testing cycle, Intel is considerably ahead there.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Reputation is one thing. Driver support and compatibilities are another.

I'm sure the support is better these days but for a long time Nvidia's Drivers were just superior to Cayalyst in many ways, so Nvidia took market away from ATI and continued with that dominance when AMD took over. Thats graphics cards.

Intel took over the CPU market after AMD's Athlon chip didn't get a proper successor, and because Intel was successful with it's Athon follow ups when the market for personal computers was booming, they benefited from a better reputation to allow their market share to grow.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2017-10-27 at 11:49 PM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

This thread should be locked, it started on a brand shaming note, it will likely end on one.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Looking at Intel's earnings report, I'm like wtf. Except for gaming, in some cases, AMD dominates these overpriced shady bastards at every turn, why do people still support them? Let them crash and burn for a while so they actually come up with some worthwhile innovation.
    If you really think that after years upon years of decisive failures and literal lying and misdirecting from AMD through their products, what they say they can do, etc etc, people will just suddenly jump ship, then you really must be young and naive. That is not how this works. AMD is laying the groundwork for a better future for themselves, to be sure, but it will take more than literally one production cycle to prove they are a viable platform to jump on.

I'm really happy to see AMD finally backed up their words with actual integrity through products that actually do what AMD touted literally EVERY LAST ONE OF THEIR PRODUCTS COULD DO but couldn't, so I am hopeful for the future. I do not blame anyone for being hesitant to buy AMD right now, though, but due to everything Intel has done recently? It might be an easier pill to swallow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    This thread should be locked, it started on a brand shaming note, it will likely end on one.
    Right, so I'm not alone? Cool.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    The above posters are correct. The thread did not start in a useful way and never went anywhere. Locked.