1. #19141
    While not going into detail, which seems to be a theme with Barr, he did confirm Russia actively worked behind the scenes to influence the election in Trump's favor.

    "The report details efforts by Russian military officials associated with the GRU to hack into computers and steal documents and emails from individuals affiliated with the Democratic Party and the presidential campaign of Hillary Rodham Clinton for the purpose of eventually publicizing those emails. Obtaining such unauthorized access into computers is a federal crime. Following a thorough investigation of these hacking operations, the Special Counsel brought charges in federal court against several Russian military officers for their respective roles in these illegal hacking activities."

  2. #19142
    I am Murloc! Thwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Because freeh was a republican and he was the head of the FBI in 96. Pretty clear.

    So again, since it was investigated, and the people involved were prosecuted (except the people they didn't have evidence on), how can you say this is something that's allowed? Yes, a special counsel wasn't appointed, but it still got investigated, and again, the candidates themselves weren't involved. When the DNC found out about it, they returned the money.

    The ag is not supposed to be a PR rep for the president. They're not the president's TV lawyer.



    That's the thing. There was an investigation. It's pretty sad when thwart links to a wiki page, trying to claim there was no investigation, and the wiki page literally says there was an investigation and people were prosecuted.
    Freeh was obviously Clinton's choice to head the FBI otherwise he wouldn't be there. The head of the FBI answers to two people, the AG who was a Democrat, and the President who was a Democrat. Accusations were made that orders from the top told the agents to not investigate the President. There absolutely should have been a special counsel appointed.

    I'll admit to mis-stating that there was no investigation. There was no impartial investigation.

  3. #19143
    https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

    Alright, there is the link.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Link either is stuck for me, or is really bogged down because everyone and their moms are accessing the site.

    - - - Updated - - -

    It didn't load the first time, just refreshed, might be loading now. 448 pages.

  4. #19144
    Artist formerly known as Shon237

  5. #19145
    Seems to be a lot of redactions to ongoing matters. Aka investigations in maybe the SDNY district.

  6. #19146
    The Unstoppable Force Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    24,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    I'll admit to mis-stating that there was no investigation. There was no impartial investigation.
    Except for the House. And the Senate. Who went first, before calling for the special counsel. Still citing your source, by the way. Or, when you said "there was no impartial investigation" were you talking about the GOP? Because, that seems contrary to your point.

    By the way, even some GOP members are calling out Barr at this point. Mueller's going to have to testify.

  7. #19147
    Holy crap, there is a lot of redactions. Not really reading much, but just scrolling through, about 50 pages in, and 1/3 or so of what I have scanned, is redacted.

  8. #19148
    TIL if you're "angry and frustrated" that you feel like you're being persecuted you can obstruct investigations all you want.

    Just as long as you don't "intend" to because you're just angry and frustrated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    After Barr just acted as Trump's top defense lawyer and PR person, I don't believe a word he says and want to see the report myself. This should be interesting.

  9. #19149
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    TIL if you're "angry and frustrated" that you feel like you're being persecuted you can obstruct investigations all you want.

    Just as long as you don't "intend" to because you're just angry and frustrated.



    After Barr just acted as Trump's top defense lawyer and PR person, I don't believe a word he says and want to see the report myself. This should be interesting.
    Also if you didn't personally commit the crime but had someone else rob the bank you are innocent. This is the defense Barr is trying to give to Wikileaks that since Trump people didn't personally hack the DNC and give Wikileaks they are clear of all wrongdoings on this part.
    Artist formerly known as Shon237

  10. #19150
    Barr: Trump was being a cry baby bitch so its fine if he breaks the law.....


    (Insert I Don't Want To Live On This Planet Anymore Meme Here)
    My Desktop: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    My Laptop: Acer Nitro 5|i5-8300H|8GB DDR4 SDRAM|256GB SSD|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  11. #19151
    The Unstoppable Force Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    24,714
    Gotta say, Barr's defense that Trump faces an unPresidented situation seems to boil down to "people said Trump did it based on evidence and that made him sad".

  12. #19152
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    TIL if you're "angry and frustrated" that you feel like you're being persecuted you can obstruct investigations all you want.

    Just as long as you don't "intend" to because you're just angry and frustrated.



    After Barr just acted as Trump's top defense lawyer and PR person, I don't believe a word he says and want to see the report myself. This should be interesting.
    Basically Trump didn't intend to obstruct justice he just didn't know that he was obstructing justice and he was really mad he was being investigated so that is why he obstructed justice but they won't charge him. So basically Trump is a fucking idiot who throws tantrums like a child but hey he should still a get a cookie even for all the shit he has done.

  13. #19153
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Also if you didn't personally commit the crime but had someone else rob the bank you are innocent. This is the defense Barr is trying to give to Wikileaks that since Trump people didn't personally hack the DNC and give Wikileaks they are clear of all wrongdoings on this part.
    "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" - Thomas Bekket

    Yep, this is back in style, apparently.

  14. #19154
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Gotta say, Barr's defense that Trump faces an unPresidented situation seems to boil down to "people said Trump did it based on evidence and that made him sad".
    To Trumpkins feels always trump facts and nothing will ever change that. So why not make a legal defense to break the law because you are throwing a childish temper tantrum because you are being legally investigated.

  15. #19155
    "Oh my God. This is terrible. This is the end of my Presidency. I’m f*cked," Trump said after learning that a Special Counsel had been appointed

    Full statement text to the link. Sounds like the Orange Obstructionist was worried about what the Special Counsel might find.
    Artist formerly known as Shon237

  16. #19156
    The Unstoppable Force Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    24,714
    Trump tweets a Game of Thrones meme to declare himself the winner.

    "Wait, that tweet was before Barr's defense -- "

    Yeah, Barr and the WH colluded before the release of the redacted report.

  17. #19157
    Herald of the Titans bladeXcrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,591
    Oh man, team tRump cannot get over buttery emails. The team tRump lawyers statement is so pathetic.

    "The results of the investigation are a total victory for the President. The report underscores what we have argued from the very beginning - there was no collusion - there was no obstruction. After a 17-month investigation, testimony from some 500 witnesses, the issuance of 2,800 subpoenas, the execution of nearly 500 search warrants, early morning raids, the examination of more than 1.4 million pages of documents, and the unprecedented cooperation of the President, it is clear there was no criminal wrongdoing. Nothing withheld; nothing concealed; nothing deleted; nothing destroyed; and nothing bleached. In addition to the report completely vindicating the President, both Attorney General Bill Barr and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein - working with the career professionals in the Office of Legal Counsel - concluded there was not a single instance in which the elements of any crime were met.
    It is also clear that the President acted properly in firing now-disgraced, former FBI Director James Comey who lied and displayed disdain for the values at the core of the FBI. It is troubling that Comey - and top members of his team - launched a biased, political attack against the President - turning one of our foundational legal standards on its head. Instead of protecting the time-honored principle that the President - as with any American - is innocent until proven guilty, they clearly set up a scheme to derail the President - pushing a twisted narrative claiming he was guilty until proven innocent. The report itself is nothing more than an attempt to rehash old allegations, despite the fact that, as reiterated in the Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General's recent report on the 2016 election 'neither the FBI nor Department prosecutors are permitted to insinuate or allege that an individual who has not been charged with a crime is nevertheless guilty of some wrongdoing.'
    This vindication of the President is an important step forward for the country and a strong reminder that this type of abuse must never be permitted to occur again."
    Last edited by bladeXcrasher; 2019-04-18 at 03:30 PM.

  18. #19158
    So apparently when sessions told trump a special prosecutor was assigned to this trumps response was to slump in his chair and say his presidency was over, I'm fucked.

  19. #19159
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump tweets a Game of Thrones meme to declare himself the winner.

    "Wait, that tweet was before Barr's defense -- "

    Yeah, Barr and the WH colluded before the release of the redacted report.
    No no no, he didn't "collude". He just gave them an advanced look at the report to redact anything under "executive privilege" before anyone else saw it.

    Which would normally be fair, but in this instance clearly seems like it was primarily to give Trump's defense team time to work on responses and his communications team to work on garbage memes to post.

    Acting in the best interests if Americans indeed.

  20. #19160
    I am reading the specific parts about the Trump Tower meeting, there is a lot of redacted information that is tagged "Grand Jury", so it is hard to tell what they thought of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •