10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I admit that the law isn't my forte, but to raid Cohen's office they would need a search warrant, no? And to get a search warrant they would need to convince a judge. So yeah, I definitely think they have something here.
    Im positive its that they already had something and the raid was just to secure legal evidence. Its pretty much what they did with Manafort. So they went in knowing exactly what they needed and showed a judge a ton of probably cause to get their warrant.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

God bless Robert Mueller and Michael Avenatti.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    No, my post is directly in contradiction of this. I think the judge signed the warrant because they had very good reason.
    Ah misread your post, my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ah misread your post, my bad!
    No worries.

Ken White over at Popehat on the search (second link if this is down):
    Recently I've been listening to the Podcast "Slow Burn," about Watergate. There's a fascinating theme throughout it: when you're living a historical event, how do you know? How can you tell when a development is a Big Deal?

This is a big deal. It's very early on, but here's some things we can already tell.
    The feds are only supposed to raid a law firm if less intrusive measures won't work.
    Such a search requires high-level approval. The USAM requires such a search warrant to be approved by the U.S. Attorney — the head of the office, a Presidential appointee — and requires "consultation" with the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. This is not a couple of rogue AUSAs sneaking in a warrant.
    Such a search requires an elaborate review process.
    I'd recommend the quick read there for anyone trying to catch up on the latest - White isn't prone to overreaction.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2018-04-10 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Trump can think investigating Cohen is a witch hunt all he wants, I don't think Mueller and the Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York are raiding his office without substantial reason.

- - - Updated - - -

We're still waiting for evidence of criminal collusion. Papadoupolos (at least as far as what Mueller has produced) is as close as we've come, and I've written probably a hundred paragraphs about why it is not evidence of criminal collusion. Strictly speaking about what Mueller has produced, there is nothing in the way of Trump-Russia criminal collusion. If Trump Tower or any of the other highlights gain the attention of Mueller, we can talk about that then.
    Your premise is flawed. You are attempting to use a lack of evidence as evidence itself. Surely McCarthy didn't teach you that sucha thing was sound legal theory, or even a worthwhile thought.

What position in the DOJ do you hold that would grant you privilege of the inner workings and information the investigation has uncovered, and that Mueller possesses?

- - - Updated - - -

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I admit that the law isn't my forte, but to raid Cohen's office they would need a search warrant, no? And to get a search warrant they would need to convince a judge. So yeah, I definitely think they have something here.
    Not only a judge, but a district attorney who was personally interviewed by Trump, and ultimately appointed in the interim until he was approved by the Senate.

My guess is that's over now.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Your premise is flawed. You are attempting to use a lack of evidence as evidence itself. Surely McCarthy didn't teach you that sucha thing was sound legal theory, or even a worthwhile thought.

What position in the DOJ do you hold that would grant you privilege of the inner workings and information the investigation has uncovered, and that Mueller possesses?
    Okay, that's fair, strictly speaking. Publicly, there is no evidence from Mueller. Up until such time as there is, I will be skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Ken White over at Popehat on the search:

I'd recommend the quick read there for anyone trying to catch up on the latest - White isn't prone to overreaction.
    Link's down for me. Fortunately there appears to be a mirror on Reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which makes Trump's using the phrase "broken into" all the more galling, "Law and Order" president indeed

Ken White over at Popehat on the search:

Right. There goes Berman's nomination...

10+ Year Old Account
    Manafort denied bail, Cohen is no on the path of going to jail or flipping. If I were Trump I would be having a panic attack right now.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Manafort denied bail, Cohen is no on the path of going to jail or flipping. If I were Trump I would be having a panic attack right now.
    what did you think 90% of his twitting is

some people stress eat, some workout, some get in fights, he throws a verbal tantrum

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    $10 says he's screaming at people and threatening to fire Sessions, Rosenstein, and appoint someone to fire Mueller at this very moment. His legal team and advisers are most likely threatening to quit if he does so.

No one wants to be part of that shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Link's down for me. Fortunately there appears to be a mirror on Reason.
    Thanks for the heads up! I edited to include the Reason mirror. My link's working fine for me, but I read someone else saying it was down for them today too, so clearly something's up.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Which makes Trump's using the phrase "broken into" all the more galling, "Law and Order" president indeed
    Indeed. It's "little" things like that that drive me the most insane.

Words are incredibly important, especially as president. How you speak about an issue frames how many people view it, an using such careless and dangerous rhetoric like saying that the FBI, when executing a lawful search having secured a warrant, "broke into" an office, dangerously colors the action itself and primes his base to view the action as unlawful and hostile.

And of course Republicans won't do shit about it, when this is the type of rhetoric that should receive instant strong rebukes and either serious threats of or action to censure the president.

So what song will you be playing to celebrate when Trump eventually resigns or is impeached?

My choice is Metallica - King Nothing:

Then it all crashes down
    And you break your crown
    And you point your finger
    But there’s no one around
    Just want one thing
    Just to play the king
    But the castle’s crumbled
    And you’re left with just a name
    Where’s your crown, King Nothing?

I notice he doesn't go in to why mueller and the judge think a subpoena wouldn't work. I'm curious if it has anything to do with the secret CA videos where nix was advising clients on how to obstruct justice by using proton mail and then finding out that one of trump's wh aides left his email+passwords to the email account he was using at the wh, and it was a proton mail account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    So what song will you be playing to celebrate when Trump eventually resigns or is impeached?

My choice is Metallica - King Nothing:

Then it all crashes down
    And you break your crown
    And you point your finger
    But there’s no one around
    Just want one thing
    Just to play the king
    But the castle’s crumbled
    And you’re left with just a name
    Where’s your crown, King Nothing?
    Hallelujah, and not for the chorus. The verses are oddly appropriate...

Well I've heard there was a secret chord
    That David played and it pleased the Lord
    But you don't really care for music, do you?
    Well it goes like this:
    The fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift
    The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah

Well your faith was strong but you needed proof
    You saw her bathing on the roof
    Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya
    She tied you to her kitchen chair
    And she broke your throne and she cut your hair
    And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah

But baby I've been here before
    I've seen this room and I've walked this floor
    You know, I used to live alone before I knew ya
    And I've seen your flag on the marble arch
    And love is not a victory march
    It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah

Well there was a time when you let me know
    What's really going on below
    But now you never show that to me do ya
    But remember when I moved in you
    And the holy dove was moving too
    And every breath we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah
    Hallelujah

Maybe there's a God above
    But all I've ever learned from love
    Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya
    And it's not a cry that you hear at night
    It's not somebody who's seen the light
    It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing, because it isn't something to celebrate. He may end up disappearing, but I don't want to think about the ensuing crisis that follows. Who knows how many people this ends up getting, and if Congress will even do anything about it should this investigation end in the next few years.

It's amazing that Trump is going to lose yet another lawyer, what with so few unwilling to work with him. Wouldn't surprise me if Cohen flipped just to not end up like Manafort.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866