The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's not "FAKE NEWS", that meme is so bloody stupid.

It's poor ethics in reporting, you should always wait for at least two independent sources before reporting something. He didn't, he screwed up, he apologized.

That doesn't make this "FAKE NEWS". "FAKE NEWS" would be claiming that Puerto Rico received $92B in federal aid. Because it still has not.
    It was unverified. So not established as true.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It was unverified. So not established as true.
    But also, not "FAKE NEWS" necessarily. If this is what qualifies as "FAKE NEWS" for you, then I surely hope you never take anything Trump says at face-value.

10+ Year Old Account
    But also, not "FAKE NEWS" necessarily. If this is what qualifies as "FAKE NEWS" for you, then I surely hope you never take anything Trump says at face-value.
    Well, it could be fake. ( probably is )

Most of it I do. Until proven to be false...or fake.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Well, it could be fake. ( probably is )

Most of it I do. Until proven to be false...or fake.
    Except has this "proven" to be false...or fake? Or is there just not a secondary source to confirm? I'm using your definition here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except has this "proven" to be false...or fake? Or is there just not a secondary source to confirm? I'm using your definition here.
    Not proven to be fake. But meh, I will go with fake knowing how much the folks at MSNBC and CNN hate Trump. I could be wrong however, so let me know when I am and I will admit it.

Not proven to be fake. But meh, I will go with fake knowing how much the folks at MSNBC and CNN hate Trump. I could be wrong however, so let me know when I am and I will admit it.
    So basically, what you're saying is that if MSNBC posts something unverified, it's fake news and you'll begrudgingly admit otherwise if it turns out to be true. But if Fox News or the President says something unverified, then you'll trust it implicitly no questions asked.

Let me just ask, what the fuck is wrong with you that your standard for journalistic veracity is rooted in what side of the political aisle they fall on rather than their historical accuracy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    So basically, what you're saying is that if MSNBC posts something unverified, it's fake news and you'll begrudgingly admit otherwise if it turns out to be true. But if Fox News or the President says something unverified, then you'll trust it implicitly no questions asked.

Let me just ask, what the fuck is wrong with you that your standard for journalistic veracity is rooted in what side of the political aisle they fall on rather than their historical accuracy?
    Generally, trusting the source can play a role in if you believe someone or not.

Nothing wrong with me. Just I do not line up with most on this forum, esp when it comes to politics. I do not think there is something wrong with you because you do not agree with me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not think there is something wrong with you because you do not agree with me.
    Yes, because you interpret your misunderstanding of the fundamental nature of reality as "disagreeing".
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Yes, because you interpret your misunderstanding of the fundamental nature of reality as "disagreeing".
    Na. It is because I respect others and do it with my posts. If I disagree, I say it and leave out the personal shit.

Generally, trusting the source can play a role in if you believe someone or not.
    And your metric for whether or not you trust a source is whether or not they like Donald Trump. How very rational of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    And your metric for whether or not you trust a source is whether or not they like Donald Trump. How very rational of you.
    Oh not true. I have seen stuff others have stated he did or said, which was true because the video or other source left no question it was. But it is no secret some sources ( such as MSNBC ) have no love for Trump. I mean some media which hate him, have even suggested they would like to see a recession to help get rid of him.

10+ Year Old Account

It's poor ethics in reporting, you should always wait for at least two independent sources before reporting something. He didn't, he screwed up, he apologized.

That doesn't make this "FAKE NEWS". "FAKE NEWS" would be claiming that Puerto Rico received $92B in federal aid. Because it still has not.
    Or implying that somehow the next storm is PR's fault . . . .
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh not true. I have seen stuff others have stated he did or said, which was true because the video or other source left no question it was. But it is no secret some sources ( such as MSNBC ) have no love for Trump. I mean some media which hate him, have even suggested they would like to see a recession to help get rid of him.
    You your self acted the same way as everyone else, before he got elected. You are someone that spread misinformation in support of Trump. Just like you omit mentioning being retired, when ever tax cuts or minimum wage is discussed. You forget that you can get Medicare, when Medicare for all is being discussed. I’ll do what I can within forum rules, to not let you get away with it... again...

(Unrelated... Just had this happen... gf: “are you listening to me?”... Me: “no, sorry, was just staring at your tits”. I did not get kicked in the balls! Woot! A door did get slammed, so... 30 more minutes of posting in peace and quiet... )
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Did Trump actually deny having Russian cosigners? Or did they just attack odonnell/msnbc/media?

At any rate, hopefully congress will get access to all these documents soon and start sorting through them. The public absolutely should see Trump's taxes and a full accounting of his financial ties before 2020 election day.

He promised to show them and has fought tooth and nail to keep them hidden. You don't do that unless it's extremely damaging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Did Trump actually deny having Russian cosigners? Or did they just attack odonnell/msnbc/media?
    One kind of goes with the other... they were very clear that they believed it wasn’t true. Very clear...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

He's proven himself to be yet another bad-faith poster unable to hold himself or Trump to the standards he demands from "libruls", so I wouldn't waste your time using logic or facts when replying to him--which I also don't recommend given his history of derailing threads through bullshit. After all, he literally just said that when a journalist reports something without a second source it's "fake news" but when Trump does it he believes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    He's proven himself to be yet another bad-faith poster unable to hold himself or Trump to the standards he demands from "libruls", so I wouldn't waste your time using logic or facts when replying to him--which I also don't recommend given his history of derailing threads through bullshit. After all, he literally just said that when a journalist reports something without a second source it's "fake news" but when Trump does it he believes him.
    I don't see how he said that. You say he "literally just said that", so it seems you are referring to the exchange on the last few pages. In that last exchange he did not say that at all, he said something else.

He said that he takes Trump's words at face value but acknowledges that they can turn out false. What happens much more commonly though is that these words are distorted by the media. If Trump's words were turning out to be false as often as media coverage he'd be trusting the media more than Trump, but that's not the case so here we go. That's all there is to it.

This labeling of posts as made in "bad faith" is quite something, really. Debate the points.

- - - Updated - - -

On topic:

The report tried to damage a guy, but its sources were found untrustworthy and it had to be retracted.

This qualifies for "fake news" in spades.

Don't want a report to be called "fake news"? Verify sources first, publish second. Don't want to bother and just want to go with damaging stories? Cool, get used to be called "fake news" then every time your reports will be found to be untrustworthy.
    Last edited by rda; 2019-08-29 at 06:53 AM.

Reporting a lie is indeed fake news

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Reporting a lie when you know it is a lie is fake news.
    Reporting something you don't know to be a lie or a truth as truth is absolutely fake news, too.

Trump should definately sue tho

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...-of-discovery/

That would totally exonerate him... again