Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    I Agree, that's why i went with a MSI Godlike this time. and Yes this board it a tad bit overpriced.
    Funny you should mention that as the Godlike was praised for it's features but actually wasn't that well received in terms of VRM temperatures, especially not for that price.

The ASUS Maximus X Formula/Code/Apex actually outclass the Godlike in general in terms of what you get overall.

MSI's build quality on mobos is dropping quite a lot on the last couple gen boards from both AMD and Intel.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Among the best in that price class*

There is a problem with the gaming 7 where the VRM heatsinks for some reason haven't been tightened properly and it overheats and shuts down.
    Simply grab a screw driver and tighten them down, if they weren't fully tightened you'll notice immediately when trying to screw it down.

Also the Z370 Gaming 7 uses a little bit of a cheat like the Sabertooth models do at the top of the VRM underneath the I/O cover, which is fine .. but they can be whiny little fans.
    Only Techreport had that problem. But yes i have read that some boards comes with heatsinks that are not tightened enough and that is bad quality control by Gigabyte.

But the point of my post was to show Illuman that the gaming 7 board had not problem at all in reaching 5.0/5.2GHz stable on all cores and the reviews are all from top sites. Wich he said had problems getting stable oc's?

- - - Updated - - -

Funny you should mention that as the Godlike was praised for it's features but actually wasn't that well received in terms of VRM temperatures, especially not for that price.

The ASUS Maximus X Formula/Code/Apex actually outclass the Godlike in general in terms of what you get overall.

MSI's build quality on mobos is dropping quite a lot on the last couple gen boards from both AMD and Intel.
    Im with Evild on this one. MSI has really not done a good job this time on the Z370 line
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Only Techreport had that problem. But yes i have read that some boards comes with heatsinks that are not tightened enough and that is bad quality control by Gigabyte.

But the point of my post was to show Illuman that the gaming 7 board had not problem at all in reaching 5.0/5.2GHz stable on all cores and the reviews are all from top sites. Wich he said had problems getting stable oc's?
    The problem as far as I've read it had to do with the fact of said VRM heatsinks not being torqued down enough and thus overheat and shutdown/throttle.

The GigaByte Z370 Gaming 7 is a good board when it's torqued down and if you so want you can change the basic thermal pads with Fujipoly pads (AFAIK best in the business) and reduce temps more. (actually measurable)
    The board can sustain an overclock without much issues even with the basic pads as long as the heatsink is torqued down but the VRMs still get relatively hot when OCing to the previously mentioned numbers, the higher class motherboards cope with that considerably better, but that's what you should expect for being more expensive.

F.ex. the ASUS Maximus X Apex on OC @ 5,1GHz with an 8700K (IIRC) had sub-50°C in some reviews on the VRMs on air making it the king of the hill without question.

If you read the Overclock.net forum regarding Z370 VRM etc. you'll read that quite a few people from that board (~40% give or take) had to torque down their Gaming 7 VRM heatsink saving them between 20 - 30°C at stock settings.

It's probably someone on the line who's supposed to tighten these things but doesn't do it entirely and another person from another shift does do it properly.

All in all it's still a good board but if you want to go Balls-to-the-Wall with air cooling... the ASUS Maximus X Code/Apex (same family/board base) absolutely bitchslaps it, but then in terms of effective use by most people it matters very little as VRM at around 80°C on the GigaByte board and 50-55°C on the Code/Apex is mostly irrelevant for all but the Liquid Nitrogen/Helium overclockers.

The MSI Z370 Godlike board however is a disappointment for something costing €/$ 500,- and is simply put outclassed.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

The problem as far as I've read it had to do with the fact of said VRM heatsinks not being torqued down enough and thus overheat and shutdown/throttle.

The GigaByte Z370 Gaming 7 is a good board when it's torqued down and if you so want you can change the basic thermal pads with Fujipoly pads (AFAIK best in the business) and reduce temps more. (actually measurable)
    The board can sustain an overclock without much issues even with the basic pads as long as the heatsink is torqued down but the VRMs still get relatively hot when OCing to the previously mentioned numbers, the higher class motherboards cope with that considerably better, but that's what you should expect for being more expensive.

F.ex. the ASUS Maximus X Apex on OC @ 5,1GHz with an 8700K (IIRC) had sub-50°C in some reviews on the VRMs on air making it the king of the hill without question.

If you read the Overclock.net forum regarding Z370 VRM etc. you'll read that quite a few people from that board (~40% give or take) had to torque down their Gaming 7 VRM heatsink saving them between 20 - 30°C at stock settings.

It's probably someone on the line who's supposed to tighten these things but doesn't do it entirely and another person from another shift does do it properly.

All in all it's still a good board but if you want to go Balls-to-the-Wall with air cooling... the ASUS Maximus X Code/Apex (same family/board base) absolutely bitchslaps it, but then in terms of effective use by most people it matters very little as VRM at around 80°C on the GigaByte board and 50-55°C on the Code/Apex is mostly irrelevant for all but the Liquid Nitrogen/Helium overclockers.

The MSI Z370 Godlike board however is a disappointment for something costing €/$ 500,- and is simply put outclassed.
    again... bang for bucks are Asus Strix Gaming-E for $185, and ASrock Extreme 4 for $125. Best stable OC for the $$

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuman View Post
    again... bang for bucks are Asus Strix Gaming-E for $185, and ASrock Extreme 4 for $125. Best stable OC for the $$
    Relevancy of quoting me for this statement?

I answered with entirely different things in mind, if I was only pointing to best bang for the buck it'd be ASRock's Z370 Extreme4 this generation but I'm not.
    In terms of best quality per dollar, to which the OP asked and my post responded to, the Gaming 7 qualifies as such provided you keep it's caveats in mind.

The MSI Z370 Godlike board however is a steaming pile of overpriced garbage compared to the high-end ASUS units which easily outclass it in general, however we're now talking about a price point of €/$ 500,- which is way beyond anything "Bang for the buck" section.

So your statement and quoting my post is irrelevant.

Anything by asrock or asus for intel.

when it comes to ram g.skill.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Relevancy of quoting me for this statement?

I answered with entirely different things in mind, if I was only pointing to best bang for the buck it'd be ASRock's Z370 Extreme4 this generation but I'm not.
    In terms of best quality per dollar, to which the OP asked and my post responded to, the Gaming 7 qualifies as such provided you keep it's caveats in mind.

The MSI Z370 Godlike board however is a steaming pile of overpriced garbage compared to the high-end ASUS units which easily outclass it in general, however we're now talking about a price point of €/$ 500,- which is way beyond anything "Bang for the buck" section.

So your statement and quoting my post is irrelevant.
    No, it's absolutely relevant, wipe the smugness off.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it's absolutely relevant, wipe the smugness off.
    It is actually highly irrelevant as you do not actually address me on anything stated or where/whom I answered to.

You simply throw in your "Again... Best bang for buck" comment to me where:
    1. The OP asked for best Quality/Price, not Performance/Price.
    2. I answered a different person.
    3. You addressed nothing of my post.

And the only thing you reply with after being pointed to the above facts is yet again a pointless answer that is akin to that of a spoiled person not getting what he wants throwing a tantrum.
    Discussions do not work like that and if you can't handle that then don't respond.

However if you think I was being smug to you... well you're allowed your opinions but if I were to have acted smug to you it'd look a whole lot different.
    I pointed you towards facts for quoting me, yelling something random to me without having properly thought it through does not work against me.

It is actually highly irrelevant as you do not actually address me on anything stated or where/whom I answered to.

You simply throw in your "Again... Best bang for buck" comment to me where:
    1. The OP asked for best Quality/Price, not Performance/Price.
    2. I answered a different person.
    3. You addressed nothing of my post.

And the only thing you reply with after being pointed to the above facts is yet again a pointless answer that is akin to that of a spoiled person not getting what he wants throwing a tantrum.
    Discussions do not work like that and if you can't handle that then don't respond.

However if you think I was being smug to you... well you're allowed your opinions but if I were to have acted smug to you it'd look a whole lot different.
    I pointed you towards facts for quoting me, yelling something random to me without having properly thought it through does not work against me.
    nope, very relevant.

15+ Year Old Account
    nope, very relevant.
    Thank you for proving my point, I am done with you.
    Have fun being taken seriously in the future.

Hopefully this isn't necroing the thread.

I've been looking into upgrading. Seeing as the ASRock Extreme4 is talked about a lot here, still a good one? I'm aiming for performance mostly, but I'm willing to keep a few bucks if I can pay less for the same performance. Already getting the G.Skill RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Claws View Post
    Hopefully this isn't necroing the thread.

I've been looking into upgrading. Seeing as the ASRock Extreme4 is talked about a lot here, still a good one? I'm aiming for performance mostly, but I'm willing to keep a few bucks if I can pay less for the same performance. Already getting the G.Skill RAM.
    Most people in these threads overthink these choices and then arguments erupt over their OPINIONS. You can go look up any boards these guys have talked about in this tread and nearly all of them will have like a 3-4 star rating on any site you go to, from a performance factor most of them will give you relatively same performance (talking in the consumer range and not enthusiast gr if you are sticking with your brand names that have a decent ratings on multiple sites. Just read reviews and see what people are saying. (I will correct that and say most average users wont notice a difference). ASRock as a whole seems to be leading with the best rated boards for the 8k platform so far so yes that is still a good option, that is one of the boards I was considering for my 8700k build I wanted to do so I can move my 7k series machine to the living room as a HT machine. ASUS and ASRock are usually my Go:To brands when building but I have used MANY Gigabyte/MSI boards that have held up well. My RYZEN system is on an MSI TOMAHAWK board that has been great for me.
    Last edited by Moozart; 2018-02-28 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Most people in these threads overthink these choices and then arguments erupt over their OPINIONS.
    Comes the question of is it worth upgrading at the moment anyway? Going from an i7 4790k to an i7 8700k is about a 25% upgrade. DDR3 to DDR4 RAM is already a huge upgrade as well. Since I mostly game on it, and having to sadly upgrade to Win10, I'm curious how much FPS I would overall gain, etc.

Comes the question of is it worth upgrading at the moment anyway? Going from an i7 4790k to an i7 8700k is about a 25% upgrade. DDR3 to DDR4 RAM is already a huge upgrade as well. Since I mostly game on it, and having to sadly upgrade to Win10, I'm curious how much FPS I would overall gain, etc.

From a 4 series heck yea , don’t forget you also gain 2 additional cores as the 8700k is a 6 core. It’s a decent upgrade . That 4970k still has enough value to potentially resell at a decent price to recoup some cost .

"Best" is a really hard thing to determine. I mean you can by the one that is rated "best" and everyone "raves" about but the one that comes to your front door might not preform up to those standards. Hardware problems be hardware problems (and no I don't mean its broken I just mean its just as up to snuff). Truth of the matter is as long as you don't by junker parts and the MB specs are up to what you want than odds are you will be pretty ok. Just find your specs, find that in your price range, and don't get it if its a laughable company (and honestly not many these days).

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    From a 4 series heck yea , don’t forget you also gain 2 additional cores as the 8700k is a 6 core. It’s a decent upgrade . That 4970k still has enough value to potentially resell at a decent price to recoup some cost .
    What mobo would you recommend then? ASRock Extreme4 is my goto currently, but looking at the options on PCpartpicker, I feel like my options are limited. I don't need wifi or any kind of cooler stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is fully dependent on the games you play.

In WoW you will not notice any difference between a 4790K and a 8700K ... and if you overclock both the delta becomes even smaller.

That said in other games the added cores smooth out gameplay a bit by reducing lower framerate spikes (this was already noticeable with Ryzen as well).
    But that said if you care about just getting a good deal on a motherboard the ASRock Z370 Extreme4 is your decent mid-ranger.

The important thing for people to consider is how the question is worded.

Specifically if you're asking best bang for the buck the ASRock Z370 Extreme4 is probably the best in that area.
    If you're asking for the best motherboard ... probably the ASUS Maximus X Apex/Code/Formula where the MSI Z370 Godlike is a pile of overpriced garbage really.

That said ... the difference between a 4790K and a 8700K is negligible, especially if OCing is involved.
    The 2 added cores are simply not used all that much in gaming just yet, though it is rising.

This is fully dependent on the games you play.

I'd like to get into some real graphic heavy games like the new Shadows of Mordor and the upcoming Metro game. I was also upgrading for Anthem but that was sadly pushed back to 2019.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to get into some real graphic heavy games like the new Shadows of Mordor and the upcoming Metro game. I was also upgrading for Anthem but that was sadly pushed back to 2019.
    Impossible to comment for the newer games.
    That said it depends on which APIs the games will use...

However in the end I suspect the difference will be relatively small, for all those a graphics card upgrade (depending on what you have of course) will probably be a bigger performance increase than CPU.

That said if you WANT to upgrade and you have the funds to do so ... all power to you.
    But a CPU upgrade line is MOSTLY a feature upgrade that also pushes OCes a bit further, but the overall performance delta will not be large.

F.ex. the RAM upgrade you mentioned being large... if you grab a 1600MHz kit and a 3200MHz kit and you compare it in brute bandwidth then yes the 3200MHz will be faster... will it matter much if at all in games? Not with current Intel consumer hardware.
    AMD's Ryzen/ThreadRipper/EPYC uArchs are the only ones to REALLY scale with speed and CAS latency where Intel barely does in general.
    (Very few exceptions excluded)

Indeed, lol But feel free, I can always use info on how to tweak the finer details.

Infracted for necro. Thread locked. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2018-06-06 at 02:56 PM.