Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking For DESK - Opinions

I've just moved into my new place and am looking for a new desk.

I prefer lots of real estate in my desk. One desk from wall to wall (or as close as possible) so I have lots of room to work with.

Right now I am eye balling:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S29047257/

Not sure where else to look for desks such as that. The other alternative is to just build, though I lack any sort of creativity. One thing that interests me is a butcher block style of desk, though those can be expensive.

The Magellan Performance Collection desks are pretty great for the price they tend to cost.

I personally have https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...ection-L-Desk/ and the thing is huge and sturdy. Corner style desk I can fit three monitors on the middle portion with plenty of room still on the left and right. Really great desk for the price. Dunno what country you live in, but if you got an Office Depot in town they usually have a floor model of this desk you can go in and check out in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    I've just moved into my new place and am looking for a new desk.

I prefer lots of real estate in my desk. One desk from wall to wall (or as close as possible) so I have lots of room to work with.

Right now I am eye balling:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S29047257/

Not sure where else to look for desks such as that. The other alternative is to just build, though I lack any sort of creativity. One thing that interests me is a butcher block style of desk, though those can be expensive.
    Its a great desk from Ikea you can build it like you want and you can easy replace the woodenplate on top after a few years if its scratched.
    I use the Basic version of it now 10 years, replaced the top 1 time and keeped the legs.
    But get ready to clean the desk every 1-2 days since you see every spot of dust on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an ikea gallant desk i believe it is called. I bought it used for 80 dollars and its been so legit for the last 5 years and its huge. It has no drawers but i dont mind that at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting on board the Ikea train in this regard.
    I have two that are in an L-shape (with the larger one being primary space). There's a ton of room for dirt cheap when compared to other desks

https://imgur.com/a/FXeeo

(That's a 24" and 27" monitor side by side, with a PS4 next to them, one the one big desk)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    I have an ikea gallant desk i believe it is called. I bought it used for 80 dollars and its been so legit for the last 5 years and its huge. It has no drawers but i dont mind that at all.
    Same! Big version, no drawers, not the electric one that can rise high enough to become a standing desk. Just a nice simple desk, mine was a little pricier, but I am very happy with the results so far! The thing is a FREAKIN ROCK. It isn't going anywhere! Sturdy and stable as can be!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Getting on board the Ikea train in this regard.
    I have two that are in an L-shape (with the larger one being primary space). There's a ton of room for dirt cheap when compared to other desks

https://imgur.com/a/FXeeo

(That's a 24" and 27" monitor side by side, with a PS4 next to them, one the one big desk)
    Dude I've thought about buying another IKEA Gallant, whether the big or slightly smaller version, and doing exactly that, but it would be more for storage, as you can see my PC is on a coffee table my grandad or his dad made (my mom can't remember)... lots of wood-working on her side of the family! They made seriously gorgeous bows. My mom, her brother, her dad, and his dad at least, that I know of, all did wood-working, though my mom and uncle didn't go the pro route. So, that's kinda the story behind what my PC is on... and might I add: the coffee table is deceptively heavy!

Some day I'll get a decent new picture, if I ever clean up fully. Been way too busy with life! Also not pictured is my KRK 10S subwoofer. :P

No more stashing of beer, btw.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

get an executive desk if ur gaming u prolly want a 24 inch 144hz monitor atleast a tiny desk like the one you linked youll have ur monitor in ur eyes givin u a headache trust me i had one for a while

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    get an executive desk if ur gaming u prolly want a 24 inch 144hz monitor atleast a tiny desk like the one you linked youll have ur monitor in ur eyes givin u a headache trust me i had one for a while
    lol 24" in your face.

Try a 34". XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol 24" in your face.

Try a 34". XD
    It definitely nice having this second desk for the space.
    And 34" jesus haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I think desk shells are the way to go, great price and build quality.

Example:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Alera-Ale...ogany/14957957

If you want wall-to-wall....

Head to Ikea and get the hardwood countertops.

Such as: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20274961/

Thats the price for a six foot long section. Then you just head over to the desk area, and pick out the legs you want (and just screw them into the bottom of the countertops). Done.

If you watch Paul's Hardware or (previously, at his home studio before he moved to the new space) JayzTwoCents, they both use(d) these countertops. Pauls entire desk area in his garage is this setup.

Then you can get rollaway filing cabinets or even top-of-the-desk hutches for storage, or, do what my wife did for her sewing cutting table and build it out of these and use the Kallax 2x2 organizer as the legs.

The GALLANT is also a good desk. My current desk is the slightly L-shaped Gallant (curving to the right), and it fits both my daily driver Mac with its 25" ASUS 1440p screen and my gaming rig with its 27" ASUS gaming monitor, and both keyboards, etc, no problems.

But if i had it to do over again... (and i maybe will, next year)

I'd be putting in the countertops-as-desk, with some Kallax under-storage and a 1x4 Kallax mounted above monitor height on the wall for storage.

So I am off for a few weeks over the holidays and am going to get this done.

I have settled on ordering 2x ikea ALEX Desk drawers and just purchasing a sheet of maple lumber for my desk top.

I want to get some sort of spacer I can put on top of the drawers in between the drawer and table top surface to add 3-4 inches to my desk. I'd like something that is good looking, cheap and nice shiny metal.

Suggestions?

I have settled on ordering 2x ikea ALEX Desk drawers and just purchasing a sheet of maple lumber for my desk top.

I want to get some sort of spacer I can put on top of the drawers in between the drawer and table top surface to add 3-4 inches to my desk. I'd like something that is good looking, cheap and nice shiny metal.

Suggestions?
    Not really, but you could just grab a ser of legs from Ikea to put the top on. They have a set of metal adjustable legs that are like... ~25$ each or so.

Yea but then I wouldn't have my drawers. Need some storage.

Suggestions?
    Like just round or square or does it need to be the size of the ikea things?

Round or square, anything that has a clean look to it. I'm thinking 2 or 4 per drawer, attach them in the middle of the drawers in a straight line (2) or each corner (4).

Yea but then I wouldn't have my drawers. Need some storage.
    The drawers would still sit under the desk just fine.

So I finally found what it is I want exactly for spacers between the desk.

Thoughts on what these are?

https://imgur.com/a/OB3J8

Deleted
    I got an IKEA desk at home too and it's great. This one can be easily adjusted in high and is really clean.

http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/S89110934/