Poll: What do you think of the show 13 Reasons Why?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

15+ Year Old Account

[TV/NetFlix] 13 Reasons Why

So I was searching for a thread about this and couldn't find one. I just recently started watching this. I know the series is very controversial and it seems like people who have watched the show have polar opposite opinions on it. They either love it or hate it. I think the show is very well written and put together rather well. It deals with issues that today's youth are facing with. Honestly, the things happening on the show could have happened 20 years ago and still been true (taking away the social media/internet aspect of it). I remember "the list" being passed around in high school and junior high. I heard stories about girls who were easy. Kids would drink & smoke pot. Nothing is different back then than there is now with the exception of social media playing a bigger role in how these kids get bullied and/or reputations.

What are your guy's thoughts on this show?

I don't agree with the people who think the show "glamorizes" suicide as revenge. At the same time, I think lots of kids that age are very susceptible to outside influences and sometimes don't actually suffer from the clinical mental illness diagnoses which lead to suicide. So I can kind of see the argument on both sides. But I think the message is important enough to get out there. I think, ultimately, the idea that some outside influence can "make you" commit suicide if you're not already on that road is pretty silly. Sort of like the argument that violent video games can lead to violent tendencies. The premise of this particular show rubs me the wrong way a little, because I don't people who commit suicide generally care so much about explaining themselves, beyond maybe a note.

I have a weird history with friends and suicide. I knew only one person who killed himself in high school. But now, in my mid 30s, I've known about a handful, the folks who just never got situated and the people who've realized their lives just aren't going to go in a positive direction. There's a gap in the 20s where people generally have a positive outlook on life, they survived high school, things are looking up, etc.

Loved the start cos I was like what could he have possibly done, but ended up not that bad, and some of what others did werent that bad. The girl also wasnt that nice to others too. Was kinda surprised the jock is gay irl

started decent but turned to shit pretty quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of empathy or a moral compass and narcissistic assholes offended at the prospect of being accountable for their shit and the consequences others pay as a result. Haven’t seen it but judging by the critics this doesn’t surprise me considering the themes. The truth is shit like this makes me understand how mass shootings take place.

This stupid notion of unmitigated self righteous hypocritical truth is something valuable to learn is pathetic. The problem isn’t people with thin skin. The problem is with small brains and big mouths.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    The truth is shit like this makes me understand how mass shootings take place.
    Then you might want to watch season 2 of 13 Reasons Why because its supposed to be centered around a mass school shooting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone heard anything about season 2 yet? Release date or leaks about possible plots?

Writing was awfully cringy and the pacing horrific. Legit the first 30 minutes of the show is the main character physically fighting against himself in the most contrived tension to ever exist.

The initial purpose was to show how all the little things can add up, but then the last 3 tapes took a sledgehammer to that philosophy and twisted it away from what it was trying to be. I think some scenes were quite important/relevant for young people to see, but most of the show was trying to be heavy but ended up as nonsense imo.

I super dig emotional stories, and the general theme of it was right up my alley but the execution was poor. Part of my distaste for it is because I'm not a teen, but I tried to take it for what was there as fairly as I could and yeah... there wasn't much to take.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've been watching the second season the past couple days. I've cried quite a few times already and I still have the final 2 episodes of season 2 to finish. I feel I can relate to so many characters on this show. I was bullied for my sexuality starting in 7th grade. I felt like the outcast all the way through high school. Starting college and being around people accepting of who I am (not saying I had no friends in high school but I had no friends that were "like me" who could relate to me) opened my eyes to a whole new world. As much as I hate saying it, I identified with Tyler & Cyrus and that group of kids a lot. Then you throw in the fact that I have several friends who at some point in their lives were molested or raped. I have attempted suicide on more than one occasion going back as early as 7th grade. I even once took 30 Ambien & about 50 Xanax at one time on one of my attempts which led me to a week's stay in a psych ward as a 51/50. But I think the thing that has me so emotional is remembering back to the night my little sister came home after being date raped and the feeling of utter helplessness I felt because I couldn't take away the pain she was going through. She didn't tell anyone about that and made me promise not to ever tell anyone about it. My little sister had 2 very dark secrets she kept from everyone (she passed away at 21 from acute liver failure) else that she promised me to never tell anyone. That is one of them.

I know some of you may feel this show glamorizes suicide and trivializes being raped or isn't "keeping it real" but this show stirs raw emotions inside me that I can relate to. If you want to watch a heart-felt show that addresses real issues, I would recommend this show. If you or someone you know is feeling suicidal, please reach out. https://13reasonswhy.info/ can help you. If you have experienced rape of any kind and need help please go to https://www.rainn.org/ for guidance.

I heavily dislike it because they actually show suicide which is something you absolutely aren't supposed to do pretty much every psych agrees that can be very harmful to people who are on the edge.