Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even with Frostbite engine games which say 16GB recommended on the box you'll still be fine with 8GB providing you don't play with like 21 Chrome tabs open. That said I would still recommend 16GB if only to make it one less component you'll have to concern yourself with for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    says someone with 8gb of ram. sorry but i see a noticeable difference now with 32gb than with 16.
    You'd have to provide more details than this otherwise you've essentially lost your credibility.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-10-31 at 01:59 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

7+ Year Old Account
    You won't see much gains from going up to 16gb Ram by gaming performance. However, having 16 isn't a bad thing if you are doing stuff on the side at the same time. You'll only ever need as much ram as your pc requires. Like the picture posted above, doesn't matter if you have 64gb ram, if what you are doing is only using a total of 7-8 gb, there won't be a difference.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

Deleted
    The use case you (OP) described doesn't really call for more than 8GB, so I think upgrading to 16GB DDR3 would be a waste of money.

Either upgrade your GPU first - especially if you also play more demanding titles. Or, if you really just play WoW and Hearthstone, get a bigger SSD, put the games on it and benefit from significantly reduced loading times. Both upgrades would of course carry over to a new build unlike the RAM.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2017-10-31 at 03:26 PM.

says someone with 8gb of ram. sorry but i see a noticeable difference now with 32gb than with 16.
    Yeah, I have 8GB RAM because that's all that's really needed. You can see it from the benchmark I posted.

I'll also say that I built my wifes computer identical to mine, so she has an identical 8GBs RAM. I can take the 8GB RAM from her machine and put it into mine and run some tests at both 8GB and 16GB if you'd like, but I already provided a benchmark.

Please provide some proof of that statement. I provided verifiable benchmarks that show no difference between 8GB and 16GB. If you can show proof or benchmarks, I will agree with you. I've been posting that same link here for about a year now and have had several people come and try to tell me I am wrong, yet none are ever able to come up with any proof.

Please, I implore you, go ahead and record your gaming with 32GB RAM and then take out some RAM and record with 8GB RAM. Post the results. Make sure settings are shown and identical in both videos. I would absolutely love to see some evidence of it being better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, I have 8GB RAM because that's all that's really needed. You can see it from the benchmark I posted.

I'll also say that I built my wifes computer identical to mine, so she has an identical 8GBs RAM. I can take the 8GB RAM from her machine and put it into mine and run some tests at both 8GB and 16GB if you'd like, but I already provided a benchmark.

Please provide some proof of that statement. I provided verifiable benchmarks that show no difference between 8GB and 16GB. If you can show proof or benchmarks, I will agree with you. I've been posting that same link here for about a year now and have had several people come and try to tell me I am wrong, yet none are ever able to come up with any proof.

Please, I implore you, go ahead and record your gaming with 32GB RAM and then take out some RAM and record with 8GB RAM. Post the results. Make sure settings are shown and identical in both videos. I would absolutely love to see some evidence of it being better.
    I play eve online running anywhere from 5-25 clients of the games on max settings at a time, previous pc had 16gb of ram and would take a shit with more than 10 clients. Now i can push 25 on max settings perfectly fine.

Deleted
    So basically what you're saying is, that if you only ever run one copy of a (this) game at a time then 4GB is plenty and 8GB is more than enough for some extra stuff on the side?

Deleted
    Question about cleaning PC case and its elements out of dust. Haven't done that in a while.

How safe is it to use Compressed Air spray-bottle? I wonder, because if I did put its pipe close to something (desk for example), then start spraying, there'd be plenty compressed air coming out of it no doubt, but also some water-alike particles that dry quickly. But looks like water after all. Is it really safe?

And another concern, what about these small Surface Mounted Devices elements? Wouldn't the air flow damage them (for example rip it off PCB)?

And last question:

What's the best way to remove dust from the elemenets I selected with red color? I'd have to put compressed air spray's pipe really close to it and that would most likely damage it and wouldn't really clean it properly. Ear sticks or tissue etc. wouldn't do the job at all because that surface is all bumpy and sharp. So how do I clean it properly?

Thank you
    Last edited by mmoc9707634f2d; 2017-11-01 at 02:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I have a GTX 770 that still maxes out games at 1080.
    No it doesn't. Unless you're only playing old/not graphically intensive games. I should know because I had a GTX 770 before my current RX 480 and it couldn't handle games like BF1 for example on anything more than medium settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Noticeable?
    In gaming? Really? lol
    I like to have huge excel worksheets open at the same time I play Call of Duty. So I need at least 32GB. Got to crunch those numbers.

Loading everything into RAM is fun times too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostrix View Post
    Question about cleaning PC case and its elements out of dust. Haven't done that in a while.

How safe is it to use Compressed Air spray-bottle? I wonder, because if I did put its pipe close to something (desk for example), then start spraying, there'd be plenty compressed air coming out of it no doubt, but also some water-alike particles that dry quickly. But looks like water after all. Is it really safe?

And another concern, what about these small Surface Mounted Devices elements? Wouldn't the air flow damage them (for example rip it off PCB)?

And last question:
    *snipped*
    What's the best way to remove dust from the elemenets I selected with red color? I'd have to put compressed air spray's pipe really close to it and that would most likely damage it and wouldn't really clean it properly. Ear sticks or tissue etc. wouldn't do the job at all because that surface is all bumpy and sharp. So how do I clean it properly?

Thank you
    i just use compressed air and q-tips. never had a problem. just don't tilt the can sideways and you shouldn't have a problem with liquid coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    No it doesn't. Unless you're only playing old/not graphically intensive games. I should know because I had a GTX 770 before my current RX 480 and it couldn't handle games like BF1 for example on anything more than medium settings.
    That's your CPU, I damn near max out BF1. This is at 1080 just to be clear. And I'm not getting into 4xaa and ridiculousness like that. Just high graphic settings.
    I also mentioned it depends on what you are playing, but I haven't encountered any issues. Granted like you said, I'm not playing super new games often, I play Destiny 2 but I haven't even looked at the graphics setting it's on because it looks glorious as it.

1080 as a resolution is old now, most cards can handle it without issue.

I play eve online running anywhere from 5-25 clients of the games on max settings at a time, previous pc had 16gb of ram and would take a shit with more than 10 clients. Now i can push 25 on max settings perfectly fine.
    Ah well yes, you are running a special use case. Not very many people run multiple clients. If you do, then of course you are going to need more RAM than usual. I,m willing to bet the OP is not trying to run multiple clients, let's ask him.

@OP, are you running an insane number of clients of any online game or anything like that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    So basically what you're saying is, that if you only ever run one copy of a (this) game at a time then 4GB is plenty and 8GB is more than enough for some extra stuff on the side?
    Pretty much, even with 65 Chrome tabs open. I still recommend at least 8 and will generally recommend 16 in a new system just because. However, in the OPs case, he already has 8 and that's fine and DDR3 is basically dead so no point in getting more. Unless of course he wants to run multiple clients at the same time.