Thread: Kitten Advice.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Kitten Advice.

Any advice on how to get a kitten to stop chewing on cords? Bitter apple spray doesn't seem like much of a deterrent, unless I apply it every hour or so. Also telling him "no" + removing him from the cords is ineffective.

Bought cord covers and he chews on those, too.

Obligatory pics here: https://imgur.com/gallery/FAiny

He's four months.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Spray water on him every time you catch him chewing cords,
    Try using that spray that you use to stop cats from marking the furniture

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this is about your cat but can I just say, I love your dog. Also I have no advice because mine has never cared about cords, sorry =( BUT CONGRATS ON THE GORGEOUS DOG!!
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Spray water on him every time you catch him chewing cords,
    Try using that spray that you use to stop cats from marking the furniture
    Yeah I tried that too, doesn't phase him. Was just once, though.

Not sure what spray you're referring to. Feliway?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    I know this is about your cat but can I just say, I love your dog. Also I have no advice because mine has never cared about cords, sorry =( BUT CONGRATS ON THE GORGEOUS DOG!!
    Thank you, she's my princess <3

10+ Year Old Account
    What you have to do is pick him up put him in the chair, I am serious write this down.

This is going to be tough, and you are going to have to tell him that "chewing cords is unacceptable", make sure you point at him so he knows not only are you talking to him, and that you mean business.

Otherwise it might be time to get the police involved.

OR...
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    What you have to do is pick him up put him in the chair, I am serious write this down.

This is going to be tough, and you are going to have to tell him that "chewing cords is unacceptable", make sure you point at him so he knows not only are you talking to him, and that you mean business.

Otherwise it might be time to get the police involved.

OR...
    I used my stern voice when I told him "no"!

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Any advice on how to get a kitten to stop chewing on cords? Bitter apple spray doesn't seem like much of a deterrent, unless I apply it every hour or so. Also telling him "no" + removing him from the cords is ineffective.

Bought cord covers and he chews on those, too.

Obligatory pics here: https://imgur.com/gallery/FAiny

He's four months.
    Play with the kitten until it's tired at least once every day with a consistent toy rotation (IE: a different toy each week rotated throughout the month) was the only method that wound up working for us.

Deleted
    I've heard from friends with cats, that a good thing is to put something more pleasant and fun to chew and scratch on just nearby the item that you want to protect. Though don't have any personal experience with this, so can't say how good it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used my stern voice when I told him "no"!
    No, NO NO that won't work, you have to make sure he knows you mean business, sit him in that chair, and you say "Look Paul, I am tired of this shit now, I don't feel you are respecting me, I provide for you, and give you a house and home, plus I am the boss, so you must do what I say" If he starts to object, make sure you hear him out, but you have to reinforce that there is to be no cord biting, and that he must also put the toilet seat back down when he's done, unless he was raised by freaking wolves.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I tried that too, doesn't phase him. Was just once, though.

Not sure what spray you're referring to. Feliway?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, she's my princess <3

This is the stuff I used when I had to deal with 5 kittens bought at the local petshop

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Play with the kitten until it's tired at least once every day with a consistent toy rotation (IE: a different toy each week rotated throughout the month) was the only method that wound up working for us.
    I've been taking him on walks and playing with him, he definitely has kitten energy but is not the most hyper kitten I've met...I'd consider him to be pretty mellow. But yeah we have a few toys we play with.

I just ordered him a chew toy online so I'm hoping that will help a bit. Suspect he's teething.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No, NO NO that won't work, you have to make sure he knows you mean business, sit him in that chair, and you say "Look Paul, I am tired of this shit now, I don't feel you are respecting me, I provide for you, and give you a house and home, plus I am the boss, so you must do what I say" If he starts to object, make sure you hear him out, but you have to reinforce that there is to be no cord biting, and that he must also put the toilet seat back down when he's done, unless he was raised by freaking wolves.
    Hahaha. He has some pretty strong opinions on things...likes to sit in front of the fridge and meow/whine when he has a full bowl of food, also let me know in no uncertain terms that he did not appreciate having to sleep by himself in his safe space in the bathroom for the first couple of nights.

But yeah I'll give it a shot.

hit it in the face.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    This is the stuff I used when I had to deal with 5 kittens bought at the local petshop
    Hey thanks! Will buy this for sure. This cat hasn't tried scratching the leather couches yet, but he likes my kitchen chairs...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    hit it in the face.
    I mean he's my cat and I actually like him, so I would like to foster a good relationship that does not involve smacking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been taking him on walks and playing with him, he definitely has kitten energy but is not the most hyper kitten I've met...I'd consider him to be pretty mellow. But yeah we have a few toys we play with.

I just ordered him a chew toy online so I'm hoping that will help a bit. Suspect he's teething.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha. He has some pretty strong opinions on things...likes to sit in front of the fridge and meow/whine when he has a full bowl of food, also let me know in no uncertain terms that he did not appreciate having to sleep by himself in his safe space in the bathroom for the first couple of nights.

But yeah I'll give it a shot.
    Sounds good, I am glad I could help.

This woman seems pretty successful.

Cats chew on cords because they like the texture of the plastic. I suppose a cat might even still chew on a cord with a sheathe on it if it has already associated that shape with that texture. Perhaps try to find your cat a toy with a similar texture so that the cat will change its association from the cord to the toy.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Cats are assholes, kittens are smaller assholes, so trouble is to be expected.

We didn't have too much trouble with our recent kitten attacking cords only because he liked to attack other cats instead.

Remember that cats are complete jerks. Mine would do the "knocking stuff off tables" thing. Just jump up, sit for a while, casually knock a pen or glass off, and then return to sitting like nothing happened.

They do not respond well to typical dog training techniques.

My advice, and take it as you will because I'm not a cat trainer, is first: protect your cords, cats will attack any dangly floppy thing. Second: establish an area near you, preferably within arm's reach, for your cat. Load that area with toys*, maybe scent it with catnip, make sure it has things to claw or chew. Third: pray. Fourth: defend that area from any other pets you have; cats and dogs can be great friends, and the cat will eventually control that relationship, but the cat needs to feel safe first.

*Cat toys are a waste of money. Some crumpled printer paper is sufficient.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2017-10-31 at 04:50 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Have you tried oranges? Cats fucking hate citrus fruits. I hadn't heard of bitter apple spray, suggestion I saw was oranges.

Other than that, all I can suggest is finding ways to sheathe or hide the cables, or hope they lose interest as they grow (mine did).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Remember that cats are complete jerks. Mine would do the "knocking stuff off tables" thing. Just jump up, sit for a while, casually knock a pen or glass off, and then return to sitting like nothing happened.

They do not respond well to typical dog training techniques.

My advice, and take it as you will because I'm not a cat trainer, is first: protect your cords, cats will attack any dangly floppy thing. Second: establish an area near you, preferably within arm's reach, for your cat. Load that area with toys*, maybe scent it with catnip, make sure it has things to claw or chew. Third: pray. Fourth: defend that area from any other pets you have; cats and dogs can be great friends, and the cat will eventually control that relationship, but the cat needs to feel safe first.

*Cat toys are a waste of money. Some crumpled printer paper is sufficient.
    Yeah some days I really wonder why people have cats...

Cats hate tinfoil, you can try wrapping foil around the spots the kitten is chewing on.

Try Lavander oil, citronella oil, or a repellent with capsaicin pepper in it. My cats didn't respond to any of that, but they did end up hating the smell of peppermint, so I used that when they were kittens to train them not to chew on cords and furniture. You just have to figure out which smell is repellent and use it.

Cats are generally smart enough to recognize their name, so say "NO <KITTENNAME>!", then move it to where they have toys they can play with and chew on. Saying their name leaves them little choice then to realize you're admonishing them.