Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Were the Star Wars Prequels really that bad?

If not what would you have done differently?

I personally like all three, I will admit they weren't but I do appreciate what lucas tried to do, which was to make it more episodic and treated the acts as separate films, I also like that he took risks.

And is George Lucas a Great director and genius?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Yes. Unfortunately, that post is too short to submit on this website.

Jar jar, the goofy robots and the pod racing were toy and video game grabs that also made the movies much worse then they should have been.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yes. Unfortunately, that post is too short to submit on this website.
    What was it missing? In your opinion.

They did atleast give us some awesome stuff like younger Obiwan and the other Jedi.

Still better than the new rey mary sue bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes OMFG YES! They are fucking horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Jar jar, the goofy robots and the pod racing were toy and video game grabs that also made the movies much worse then they should have been.
    What about the Ewoks, I found them just as goofy and Return of the Jedi was great. I disagree Empire Strikes Back was better.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they were that bad. With few exceptions, the writing was horrendous, the actors chosen for the roles were terrible(I'm looking at you Haydn Christensen), and some of the characters (I'm looking at you JarJar) should not have been so stupid due again to the poor writing.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Yes and No. They had some positives but the negatives outweigh them. TBH the only good thing that came out of this was them creating The Clone War TV series

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Still better than the new rey mary sue bullshit.
    I've hear that description before, what do you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Yes they were that bad. With few exceptions, the writing was horrendous, the actors chosen for the roles were terrible(I'm looking at you Haydn Christensen), and some of the characters (I'm looking at you JarJar) should not have been so stupid due again to the poor writing.
    He was barely in most of the film, besides the first, I think people blow Jar Jar Binks thing out of proportion, I thought his story fit well in the first film.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    What was it missing? In your opinion.
    Good direction and believable dialogue. Even the world building sucked because it was all so obviously green-screened.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

I personally like all three, I will admit they weren't but I do appreciate what lucas tried to do, which was to make it more episodic and treated the acts as separate films, I also like that he took risks.

Yes, the Star Wars Prequels were really that bad.

The Plinkett reviews are both really, really entertaining, and walk though in excruciating detail exactly why they are bad. http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/ (click on the image to start up each series)

George Lucas is a lazy director and not particularly a genius. In fact, there is strong opinion now that the the reason the first two Star Wars movies (Ep IV and V) were so good has more to do with his wife's (at the time) superior editing skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've hear that description before, what do you mean?

- - - Updated - - -
    My guess is that since Darth Edge didn't completely slaughter her before the planet blew up she's a mary sue
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    They're fine mostly, Hayden isn't even a bad Anakin but the script he was given was bad, Ewan is the perfect Obi Wan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Good direction and believable dialogue. Even the world building sucked because it was all so obviously green-screened.
    What is good direction what would that have looked like?

And Jurassic Park uses the same green screen and that was fantastic.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don’t think they were bad movies I personally enjoyed them all but all of them have huge flaws.

Episode one would have been better if jar jar was comptly cut and they focused more on aniken being super powerful as a kid and more insight into Maul and the emperor or some build up for count duku instead of pod racing and what not.

Episode two would have been better if aniken wasn’t so whiny and his and padma’s relation ship was more organic. Duku also needed more build up instead of just showing up.

Episode three needed again a less Whiny aniken and more build up for general greavius to show that he was a real threat and not jist an asmadic robot.

Over all I think all three movies could have been better if they were say on the level of quality as the storm wars show with character build up and such.

ROTS is probably in my TOP3 SW movies...
    It's not like they were not good, they just were worse than the original trilogy.

Go now and watch episode one again. Ignore Jar Jar, forget that hate train. Watch little Anakin deliver his lines as if they are being read to him. Either atrocious acting or awful directing, and I think it's both. The prequels demonstrate that George was never really a good director or writer. He had some cool story ideas, and the original trilogy and Indiana Jones did a lot of good things, but this man was basically a flash in the pan, but one that started IPs that tickled people's interests in space operas and Nazi punching.

They are a little week with some poor acting and writing choices, but they are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. Frankly I would put them above the most recent film in the main story line. I just hope The Last Jedi will be a big improvement.