Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Movie] The Lion King (2019)

All-star cast

They are remaking something that doesnt need remaking again?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    All-star cast

Well, Guess Adult Nala is going to sing in this one.

Queen Beyonce!
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay, CGI lions I guess.

Beyonce kinda ruins it, the rest looks pretty solid.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the fuck does Hollywood think everything that's older than 20 years needs to be fucking remade?

Blame us consumers who actually pay for wanting to see shit like that. EVERYTHING is either a sequel, a remake or a superhero movie. No originality, just marketing schemes for maximum profit.

More proof that Holywood can't come with something new and are too scared to take risks.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Why the fuck does Hollywood think everything that's older than 20 years needs to be fucking remade?

Blame us consumers who actually pay for wanting to see shit like that. EVERYTHING is either a sequel, a remake or a superhero movie. No originality, just marketing schemes for maximum profit.
    B&B made nearly 1.3 Billion ofc we will see now every Disney Movie remade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    More proof that Holywood can't come with something new and are too scared to take risks.
    Blade Runner 2049 took some huge risks by being an actual movie for once (despite being a sequel) and they got shat for it, especially by American and Chinese audiences.

Deleted

Blame us consumers who actually pay for wanting to see shit like that.
    Because it is just around the time that people usually have kids themselves, and I think many of us can attest to Disney movies bringing us good memories, so when we see that there is a "new" version of something we remember, we go see it with our kids in hopes that it will have the same positive effect.

It is actually kind of ingenious.

Also we are on a gaming website, we literally are the epitome of this poor practice

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Good gosh I hate seeing people who don't know what they are talking about say this. Hollywood constantly make "something" new, it's your fault if you don't go see it.

Now, on the actual subject of The Lion King being remade:

So far we've seen a few different versions of live action takes on animated classics. I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast, but I've heard a lot of criticism about it being almost an exact copy of the animated version. Then there's the Alice in Wonderland movies which are sequels to the original, which aren't super popular critically at least. Maleficent was a bit of a twist on Sleeping Beauty, which wasn't too popular either.

All of the above still made a lot of money, maybe except for Through the Looking Glass.

However, there's two remakes which I actually thought worked quite well and that are in fact better than the original: Cinderella and The Jungle Book. Now, both were quite a bit older than The Lion King, and The Lion King is still considered one of the top animated movies ever by a lot of people, but with Jon Favreau doing quite a good job with The Jungle Book, I am hopeful that there will be more to it than just a live action version of the animated movie.

And honestly, even if there isn't, we don't really lose anything we have.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-11-03 at 04:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    B&B made nearly 1.3 Billion.
    Jesus Christ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Good gosh I hate seeing people who don't know what they are talking about say this. Hollywood constantly make "something" new, it's your fault if you don't go see it.
    He is 100% right. Hollywood seldom makes a movie that isn't just a cash grab anymore.

He is 100% right. Hollywood seldom makes a movie that isn't just a cash grab anymore.
    Unless you have a weird definition of cash grab, that's just an untrue myth by people who either don't know or have highly pessimistic memories.

That cast looks like a mandated diversity quota

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you have a weird definition of cash grab, that's just an untrue myth by people who either don't know or have highly pessimistic memories.
    http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Gho...6)#tab=summary

Do I need to say more?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    That cast looks like a mandated diversity quota
    beat me to it, lol.

Man, are you serious? "Here's a single example of a modern-ish reboot of a movie that didn't go over very well, I rest my case!"?

Hollywood makes hundreds of movies every year. Just this year from the movies I've watched that are completely original (so I'm not even counting movies like Blade Runner 2049 and Logan): The Zookeeper's Wife, The Big Sick, Get Out, Dunkirk, Wind River, Baby Driver, The Lost City of Z. And there's lots more coming out that I haven't seen yet, and even more that have come that I haven't seen.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-11-03 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, are you serious? "Here's a single example of a modern-ish reboot of a movie that didn't go over very well, I rest my case!"?

Hollywood makes hundreds of movies every year.
    http://www.the-numbers.com/market/source/Remake

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/2017/summary

For 2017 I see one out of 10 movies that isn't either a remake, sequel, or part of a franchise (comics).

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/source/Remake

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/2017/summary

For 2017 I see one out of 10 movies that isn't either a remake, sequel, or part of a franchise (comics).
    These are numbers for the movies that make the most money, which are remakes, sequels or parts of a franchise for the most part, and you can blame the consumers if you don't like that. But loads of movies that aren't top grossers are released that are very much original movies.