Beta Key Giveaway Week 3: Winners have been selected!

Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    Happened to me too, which is why I started often carrying hunter ammo as a rogue.

Which is something I can't wait to get back in WoW Classic. In a multiplayer game you need to have group members rely on each other—in good and in bad. And that means one person can screw up the whole group, but also that another person can save the group from a screwup (as a rogue I was always prepared to blind a mob that got loose and ran for the healer, for example).
    I remember one evening we were doing a guild run and our healer ran oom during a fight. I was on my rogue and happened to have a max 1st aid skill, so I had the (Over vent) tank run from the stuff he was tanking while another in group slowed them, then hit him with a bandage. He jumped back in and was able to continue tanking without dying. I loved moments like that.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by AgeOldGnomette View Post
    Perhaps you could play retail and let people who want to play vanilla... play vanilla? The whole reason these servers are happening is because of Nostalrius.
    Because they see a load of cash coming their way with doubling up on subs more like it

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post

...I could go on and on.
    we found yet another person who didn't play vanilla. seriously, stop commenting. the game you're advocating for is later incarnations of the game we played 13 years ago. Wait, see how it is and make your decision then. I'm balls deep in it. i want it, i loved feeling like every level mattered.

I've played on a Vanilla realm for a week now (level 38 Priest) and while I love how much I have to invest into leveling, making gold and making connections for future dungeons and such there's one thing I don't like: the game was extremely unbalanced and primitive, as a healing priest if a rogue, feral druid or hunter pet was on me I couldn't cast anything because of pushbacks from their attacks. In general the game balance was completely broken and a big majority of specs simply weren't finished.
    This week I've just been reminded over how fun Vanilla was because of the community you had to invest into, the game was broken and unfinished in a lot of areas. That's one of the things I hope blizzard change for the better, they should complete Classic WoW as they intended, visioned or wanted it to be. If Classic is released as it was back before the TBC pre-patch you'll have a lot of negative spam and attention from the 7+ million people who try it while the 100-200k who like it will defend it. Obviously a bad situation!

To name a few big errors...
    Prot paladins didn't have taunt.
    Prot paladins needed spelldamage to increase threat but items with spelldamage never came with defense, a stat tanks needed to not get crushed.
    Ret paladins had like 4 abilities that did damage. (not counting different seals)
    Hunters used mana and would have to use mana pots or feign death to drop combat and drink in the middle of fights.
    Hunters had One spec, marksmanship. The other two were pointless (some BM talents were good for pvp)
    Every single spec that used mana would eventually run out of mana and deal no damage, meaning they were useless if they didn't have mana regen pots, innervate or other ways to regen mana (which only Mages, Warlocks and Druids had)

...I could go on and on.
    I have never read so much BS together in one post.

I have done every singe raid in the game except Naxx 40 as a Hunter, and I have never had to feign and drink in the middle of a boss fight. I can't be arsed with the rest of your ignorant BS tbh.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Legendary! Huntingbear_grimbatol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I have never read so much BS together in one post.

I have done every singe raid in the game except Naxx 40 as a Hunter, and I have never had to feign and drink in the middle of a boss fight. I can't be arsed with the rest of your ignorant BS tbh.
    Then you raided after class rewamps.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

I'll paste my reply here from the thread that got locked...

So I played WoW from launch pretty much straight through 3 expansions. I was one of the few who raided Naxx 40 up to 4H when it was current. We never did kill the last 3 bosses, but I was basically the only mage on the server who had 5 or 6 piece tier 3. I quit somewhere around the middle of Cataclysm, not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I was moving to Asia for a new career. I missed Pandaria (sadly because I love Asian culture), WoD, and most of Legion. So that's 6 years I've been out of the game.

I renewed my sub a weeks ago and made a Pandaren Warrior because I was so lost trying to figure out what to do with my level 85 characters, I figured starting from scratch was best. I was having fun leveling. Although it was beyond easy and I never had to worry about dying, the Pandarin starting zone was fun. Dinged level 20 in less than 2 afternoons of playing, and decided to run Deadmines for some gear. That's where the fun stopped. From the moment of zoning in, to the end boss, it was just a bumrush. Literally, nothing could kill us. I had trouble distinguishing bosses from regular mobs. There was no teamwork. Just 5 strangers mashing their buttons and each getting their own loot after certain mobs.

I never logged in again after that 1 Deadmines run. There was no fun. No social aspect. No teamwork. No RPG aspect to the game.

I later decided to find a way to play Vanilla wow to see if it was just nostalgia or if it really would be more fun than my abysmal Legion experience. And after a few weeks of playing casually, I can say it is superior in almost every way. I'm level 30 currently and having a blast. Quests take time, thought, and strategy to complete. Dungeons are challenging! Even Deadmines requires you to work together as a group to win. It's not streamlined. It's not easy. So each accomplishment you reach, fills you with pride. You fight for bag space (especially as a hunter). You read quest text. You're impressed with the stoylines of the zones you quest through. You have to have a mining pick, skinning knife, or fishing pole in your bags if you want to do those things. You have to use the WHOLE capitol city to train, up your professions, auction items, etc. You have to learn how to use new weapons from weapon trainers.

In short the RPG aspect of the game is back. You're not playing what has essentially been dumbed down to a fantasy FPS like retail WoW has.

So, I'm here to tell you, that the nay sayers are wrong. It's not mere nostalgia. The social aspect of the game is real. On my server already, I know large number of people who I run into looking for the same dungeons or elite quest groups. You quickly learn who is good and who is bad. Who is friendly and who is a jerk. Rivarlies pop up on PvP servers all the time.

This is real WoW. This is what it was at its HEIGHT. When celebrities like Mila Kunis and Vin Diesel played along side us. If you give it a try and don't agree with me, that's fine. But I sincerely believe, Classic wow will remind people what an MMORPG is supposed to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep... the guy you quoted doesn't even know how little he knows.

But in ALL likely-hood. Blizz will start Classic on the patch AFTER all the class tunings. There's no reason not to. They were all gradually released over several months. The only viable way to do it now is to make all classes have their tunings already, or release all class tunings in 1 patch at some point.

You are talking about "Class Reviews" back in Vanilla? I raided before the "Hunter Class Review" and I still never ran out of mana. The only way I can see one running OOM is raiding without mana pots which means one is a scrub and a bad raider.

I will bother to address the rest of your BS b/c I see the shit you throw caught on other clueless posters.

Vanilla class design was different than Retail. There were no "pointless" specs. There was one tree for levelling, one tree for PvP and one tree for Raiding.

Beast Mastery was the levelling spec, Survival was the PvP spec and Marksmanship was the Raiding spec. It is that simple. There were no redundant specs, just bad players who didn't understand class design.

So much for your BS.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Didn't see it mentioned in the OP, but didn’t hunter pets not automatically level up to what the player was when they were tamed? If a hunter was level 48 and tamed a level 13 pet, they had to level up the pet, yes?
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | My Website | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Didn't see it mentioned in the OP, but didn’t hunter pets not automatically level up to what the player was when they were tamed? If a hunter was level 48 and tamed a level 13 pet, they had to level up the pet, yes?
    Yes. Hunters had to level up each pet. Certain rare pets had more nuanced distinction for pvp. Broken Tooth for example was highly annoying for casters to deal with.

Yup I'll add that.
    @Nomads...your post is thoughtful, but the aspects of the game you liked are still present, but not in the same place. Mythic+ requires every bit as much teamwork as the old dungeons. However, the difficult parts of the game have been moved to max-level and leveling is no longer a challenge. To declare that the social aspect was removed after you did one Deadmines run is like declaring Japan overrated after deboarding a plane in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    correct, yes.

Thanks, @evogsr and @Wardrake.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | My Website | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Yup I'll add that.
    @Nomads...your post is thoughtful, but the aspects of the game you liked are still present, but not in the same place. Mythic+ requires every bit as much teamwork as the old dungeons. However, the difficult parts of the game have been moved to max-level and leveling is no longer a challenge. To declare that the social aspect was removed after you did one Deadmines run is like declaring Japan overrated after deboarding a plane in Tokyo.
    Oh I'm sure it's still there. I just dont want to have to wait until raids to get there. End game raids have basically become dungeons. Dungeons have become the elite quests. Elite quests have been removed. I simply dont like this change in the design of the game.

I dont see why questing has to be this boring grind just to get you to level cap so you can start playing the "real" game. I enjoy leveling, running dungeons, getting blue gear, and finishing the zone storylines. But retail WoW had badically turned leveling into one longass tutorial to get you ready to do group content at level cap.

Well that's kind of why they made it go so much faster, because there's so much more content to go through.

It would be interesting if they added a mythic+ feature to lowbie dungeons. I could see that being really popular.

a week ago, resubscribed to wow again. Was too lazy to level my warrior from 85 so opened a demon hunter.
    I am in suramar now, pulling mobs right and left at least 4 minimum as I understood killing mobs one by one is an incredibly stupid and time wasting stuff. Pull everything, use eye beam to metamorph press 2-2 -3-3 rinse and repeat.

Now I remember the lost coin or something similar quest that sends you to raptor nesting area.

"Ok, better stick to the left as much as you can, If I can pull that patrolling raptor alone then approach the box from this angle I should be able to pick it without pulling the other 2 raptors".

I prefer the barrens one over that mindless mob pulling anytime.

I tried running dungeons too. I don't even know the name tho. You follow some nagas into portal at the end of a quests with the help of that ghost night elf. Since I have no idea I entered and waiting for tank to pull the first 2 nagas and guess what? everybody mounted up and running all the way down to god knows where. All the mobs running after us to the boss and same eye beam rinse and repeat. whole dungeons the same thing rinse and repeat.

Now where is the immersion? where is observation? where is caution? where is play god sake? what happened to this game?

I left the game when the siege of orgrimmar raid hit the servers. thanks to the game being so dull apart from normal story line questing.
    But holy shit it is ridiculous right now.

Going jenkins in a dungeon? what the fuck? killing mobs in masses? wth? I am not saying you couldn't do these in mop, you could but in these numbers?

I will welcome the slow and tactical approach to wow. It is not a strategy game of course but sheep, sap, shackle move slowly, random fears pull other shit etc and somehow managing the situation felt great back in those days. Plus, I would welcome the communication once again between party members.

The game was incredibly grindy but rewards were necessary and satisfying.

I am great fan of wow's lore and been keeping with it outside the game up until now. That being said, I will continue playing the retail too to follow on the story in game again once more.

Legendary! Huntingbear_grimbatol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    You are talking about "Class Reviews" back in Vanilla? I raided before the "Hunter Class Review" and I still never ran out of mana. The only way I can see one running OOM is raiding without mana pots which means one is a scrub and a bad raider.

I will bother to address the rest of your BS b/c I see the shit you throw caught on other clueless posters.

Vanilla class design was different than Retail. There were no "pointless" specs. There was one tree for levelling, one tree for PvP and one tree for Raiding.

Beast Mastery was the levelling spec, Survival was the PvP spec and Marksmanship was the Raiding spec. It is that simple. There were no redundant specs, just bad players who didn't understand class design.

So much for your BS.
    So in your eyes there were no issues with the following specs?:
    Ret paladin, Prot paladin, Feral (cat dps) druid, Balance druid, Arcane Mage, Disc Priest (you only wanted one per raid for spirit buff- which didn't require a full disc tree) and pretty much all dot specs because of debuff cap on mobs.

Talking about raiding.
    Certain specs only usable for leveling (or pvp) just shows how badly designed and balanced the specs were back then. You could even just look at tier sets from the raids and understand the limitations you had...
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post

I am great fan of wow's lore and been keeping with it outside the game up until now. That being said, I will continue playing the retail too to follow on the story in game again once more.
    Not really worth it, man. I cannot stomach retail anymore, basically for all the reasons you listed. All flash and no substance. I don't know how people stick with it currently, BUT i guess their numbers are at their lowest point they've ever been, so I guess not many people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Oh I'm sure it's still there. I just dont want to have to wait until raids to get there. End game raids have basically become dungeons. Dungeons have become the elite quests. Elite quests have been removed. I simply dont like this change in the design of the game.

I dont see why questing has to be this boring grind just to get you to level cap so you can start playing the "real" game. I enjoy leveling, running dungeons, getting blue gear, and finishing the zone storylines. But retail WoW had badically turned leveling into one longass tutorial to get you ready to do group content at level cap.
    I'm sorry, but nothing about the game has changed in that regard. Leveling has always just been a grind to get to end game, except maybe the first few patches of Vanilla.
    I'm a thread killer.

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    I'm sorry, but nothing about the game has changed in that regard. Leveling has always just been a grind to get to end game, except maybe the first few patches of Vanilla.
    No sir. There are statistics from vanilla showing that the majority of players NEVER even made it to 60. Most played casually, rolling alts, running dungeons with their friends, etc. Getting to 60 was a pretty huge accomplishment back in the day. Hence, the large number of videos on youtube where players filmed their reactions when they hit that final "Ding". A lot of players considered that the end of the game.

I think a lot of people don't remember this. Kinda like no one seems to remember that like 1% of the population raided Naxx past Spider Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Not really worth it, man. I cannot stomach retail anymore, basically for all the reasons you listed. All flash and no substance. I don't know how people stick with it currently, BUT i guess their numbers are at their lowest point they've ever been, so I guess not many people do.
    Well I am not excited to play retail either. But I have some time for myself these days and said why not. But really, for example I will clock out soon and go back home but I am not excited to log in in the slightest. Probably will play something else.