Poll: What is your opinion of the K&C?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Thoughts on the new expansion : Kobolds and Catacombs

I am curious what everyone thinks of the new Heathstone expansion?

Quite honestly I am pretty underwhelmed so far in terms of theme, art and mechanics. I feel like there are a lot themes for them to explore in this game and Kobolds just seems really uninteresting. I'm also not crazy about the major cycle this expansion being legendary weapons for all classes.

Its not really kobolds. The theme is about old school dungeon crawling, D&D type stuff. But they can't straight up call it dungeons and dragons so they came up with a parodied title of sorts.

The price is crazy... 50$/50€ - are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    The price is crazy... 50$/50€ - are you kidding me?
    That's what every Hearthstone pre-order has been.

50 packs for $50.

Granted, that doesn't change whether or not it's steep, it's just that it shouldn't be a surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't aware there'd been an announcement so indifferent I guess.

What I'm really not interested in are the cards as they are revealed in drips and drabs, what's the point of that?

A couple of the legendaries are already disappointing (Rin & the priest(?) weapon that summons a dragon). Hopefully the bad legendary trend in K&C doesn't continue with the future reveals, but if it does I see the expansion as potentially ending up disappointing many players during pack openings.

I honestly love the theme. I like exploring various aspects of the Warcraft universe that WoW never really touched on. Also the concept of dungeon crawling is a classic one in RPGs, so I think it's pretty brilliant to use that concept for a HS expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    A couple of the legendaries are already disappointing (Rin & the priest(?) weapon that summons a dragon). Hopefully the bad legendary trend in K&C doesn't continue with the future reveals, but if it does I see the expansion as potentially ending up disappointing many players during pack openings.
    I honestly see those legendaries to be pretty solid. Priests have that Elemental legendary (and that Elemental that reduces the cost of spells) from Ungoro to back up Dragon Soul, and control Warlocks could use a taunt.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another dumb mechanic that will vanish as soon as the set gets rotated out. I am not sure why Blizzard keeps convoluting the game with trivial mechanics rather than expanding on the existing and decent mechanics that already exist. The theme alone is dumb, and a lot of the cards look kinda meh. Seems like they tried a little too hard with adding more than one mechanic for this expansion too, which just makes things weird and old cards don't synergize as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Rin seems like a very slow ramp card. You have to play the same 5 cost card 5 times, which is just way too slow in this game. But if you can pull it off, that's a pretty gross card.

Deleted
    Feel sad about the whole "inspire" mechanic, guess they didn´t like the mechanic at all, so sad...

In regard to the mechanics, I'm sure some if not most will be revisited in the future. Magic the gathering do a very similar thing with each set having particular themes and many of the older ones get resurrected down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

Quite honestly I am pretty underwhelmed so far in terms of theme, art and mechanics. I feel like there are a lot themes for them to explore in this game and Kobolds just seems really uninteresting. I'm also not crazy about the major cycle this expansion being legendary weapons for all classes.
    I'm kind of new to Hearthstone, I tried it for about 2 matches when it came out, and ignored it since, I wasn't really into this kind of game, but recently a streamer I like played it, and I got hooked, been leveling my characters, and trying matches with the public - losing a lot, but I'm learning! I watched the presentation, really enjoyed it, and I think Kobolds will be a good way to get my first expansion experience.

I'm late to the game, but I get Hearthstone now.

Not a lot of cards revealed yet, so impossible to say much. I love the theme though, Dungeons & Dragons rocks.

Deleted
    Rather underwhelming so far, but lets see the whole set.

I was hoping for a card reveal sooner than the 20th. This feels very much like a filler expansion before sets rotate. The dungeon run mode looks fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by chezwickcheese View Post
    I was hoping for a card reveal sooner than the 20th. This feels very much like a filler expansion before sets rotate. The dungeon run mode looks fun though.
    I agree that it does seem like filler, further emphasized by the fact that they didn't have the supposed new adventures out to be released with the next expansion after KotFT. Not saying it doesn't seem like fun to see dungeon runs or a HS expansion seemingly based somewhat on old 5 man dungeon crawling from WoW, or nostalgic older questing experiences, but it does seem like there is filler from the get go without seeing any other card reveals.

I'm getting this feeling that new expansions come way to early. I really miss those adventurers that were meant to be in-between expansion content where it was easier to collect all the possible cards. I just barely saved up to 4000 gold despite saving for a while, I had 7000 gold before KotFT released. And they are always releasing 2 legendaries for each class instead of one, making it harder to get the cards I want. I guess the expansion itself looks fine with the treasures, legendary weapons for all classes and the new dungeon mode. I just wish that they slowed down with the new expansions.

Was excited at first, then lost all of it when they did a live demonstration of the dungeon crawler. That mode is WAY too easy and I really hope it gets buffed before they release it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    Was excited at first, then lost all of it when they did a live demonstration of the dungeon crawler. That mode is WAY too easy and I really hope it gets buffed before they release it.
    That live demo was stages 1-3 of 8. They are nothing but the entry-level, which the commentators made note are meant to be "gimmes". It didn't even begin to get to the challenging sections so we have no way of knowing what stages 4-8 will be like
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

I didn't like Knights of the Frozen Throne but this one has me interested for some reason. Something about Kobolds and nostalgia from long ago in World of Warcraft leveling does it for me I guess. Hearing that the Dungeon mode gives no rewards, drops my excitement level down significantly though.
    Last edited by Biggles Worth; 2017-11-11 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    That live demo was stages 1-3 of 8. They are nothing but the entry-level, which the commentators made note are meant to be "gimmes". It didn't even begin to get to the challenging sections so we have no way of knowing what stages 4-8 will be like
    Am I missing something? I meant when Kripp, Reynad, Dog, etc. went through the dungeon live on stage at BlizzCon. They all had to fight like 8 bosses and then got to the end. It was supposed to be a competition to see who'd get the furthest, but all of them made it to the end with ease.