Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu1grim View Post
    Let's be honest here though. Playing on private servers was also FREE. Shocking how that was popular.
    Plenty of people play both private and live servers, which kinda negates that argument. Not to mention it's pretty easy to play the retail game for free once you learn to make gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Personally, I don't see it lasting more than six months after it goes live. What else is there to do once you've cleared the three only raids that the game will ever have? Spend month after month, grinding the same mats for the same resist potions, and making the same resist gear, killing the same bosses? I mean, I like Super Mario Bros. as much as the next guy, but I don't play it anymore because there's nothing there that hasn't been beaten.

Now, the Mario Maker game, that's endlessly fun, with all new levels made by thousands of people, constantly adding more content. That's a Mario game you can play forever.

This Classic stuff...I can't imagine any raiding community that'd be okay with 15 year old content that's never going to be updated, never going to be progressed...ever.

I mean, this is the same community that rages about six months without new raid content and now they're making servers based around the entire idea that it's never going to have anything else ever added to it? Seriously?

Nostalgia and misplaced emotion, trying to remember what it was like to be a kid and mistaking that yearning for youth for yearning for a game they played as a youth.

Pro-tip: You're going to get Classic, gleefully sign in, spend weeks grinding up and when you get in there, you're going to be the same guy, feeling the same way as you do now. Old, jaded, bored.

That's when you're going to realize that you built this shit up in your mind to being this glorious experience that never really existed.

It's just you, wanting to feel like the kid you were when you first found World of Warcraft. And the disillusionment is going to be massive.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu1grim View Post
    Let's be honest here though. Playing on private servers was also FREE. Shocking how that was popular.
    This sort of argument works both ways. A lot of people stay away from private servers due to their illegitimacy/stability (Nostalrius gone, millions of nerd hours down the drain instantly), and I'd venture to say there are some people who don't know they exist.

Also, a lot of games are free, but people don't play them. Just being free isn't much incentive to play a game, maybe one game over another, but this is WoW, the MMO king, and 15$ a month is a pittance for the amount of time people sink into it. I don't think the sub cost will deter as many people as naysayers think.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I think the main reason people are clamoring for vanilla wow is to try and gratify their ego. It was easier to exclude people and get things that is was hard for most people to get in the game. They like the lack of dungeon and raid random groups because they might participate in game activity that others cant. These kind of people seem to like the idea of having to kiss arse to some guild leader just so you can do a dungeon run.
    Wow, those are some massive insecurity issues you're dealing with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    It's hard to get started (always broke), it's incredibly challenging.

The world around you is deadly. There is no potion to get you out of a mess.
    You sound as if you were talking about Dark Souls. I doubt you ever played Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Housebroken View Post
    Isn't current WoW much more exclusive than any previous version?
    AOTC and related achievements
    Item levels
    Group finder with ridiculous requirements
    Artifact weapon levels
    Prestige requirements
    Rating requirements

Sure some of those things have been in since BC, but it's really difficult to exclude people in vanilla, when there are like zero ways to really tell if someone has done the content.
    And how many of those are player-created rather than created by the game.
    It is as easy to exclude players as someone else wants it to be.

That is not the fault of the game.
    Information on its own is not the problem, but how we choose to act upon it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    People complaining with no flying, people complaining with grind AP, people complaining about balance of the clases, people complaining about not being able to get 20 players to raid mythic.

But they also want classic servers with no flying infinite grind, the most unbalanced game in the history, raid for 40 people getting just 4 items, I'm just with the original thinking of blizzard, you think you do but you dont, the server is going to be for players who want to experience that for like 2-4 weeks and then quit, because the classic veterans now dont have lots of time to spend on it like when they where young, and new playerbase just dont have the patience to play that kind of game anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    Personally, I don't see it lasting more than six months after it goes live. What else is there to do once you've cleared the three only raids that the game will ever have? Spend month after month, grinding the same mats for the same resist potions, and making the same resist gear, killing the same bosses? I mean, I like Super Mario Bros. as much as the next guy, but I don't play it anymore because there's nothing there that hasn't been beaten.

Now, the Mario Maker game, that's endlessly fun, with all new levels made by thousands of people, constantly adding more content. That's a Mario game you can play forever.

This Classic stuff...I can't imagine any raiding community that'd be okay with 15 year old content that's never going to be updated, never going to be progressed...ever.

I mean, this is the same community that rages about six months without new raid content and now they're making servers based around the entire idea that it's never going to have anything else ever added to it? Seriously?

Nostalgia and misplaced emotion, trying to remember what it was like to be a kid and mistaking that yearning for youth for yearning for a game they played as a youth.

Pro-tip: You're going to get Classic, gleefully sign in, spend weeks grinding up and when you get in there, you're going to be the same guy, feeling the same way as you do now. Old, jaded, bored.

That's when you're going to realize that you built this shit up in your mind to being this glorious experience that never really existed.

It's just you, wanting to feel like the kid you were when you first found World of Warcraft. And the disillusionment is going to be massive.
    There are 6 raids in Vanilla: MC, ZG, BWL, AQ20/40, Naxx. Gearing takes awhile, 40 man raids and 2 pieces per boss, patches will most likely be released in progression, so BWL won't be out for a few months ect.

Leveling takes awhile as well. The hardcores will no life to 60 in a week or two, and the rest of the server will catch up in a month or two. Then you need to farm dungeons and resist gear/professions, then farm MC (And ZG if it's released, but iirc that came after MC), BWL will probably hit in 4ish months, then AQ opening event ect. They're not just going to drop all the raids at once because things get tricky with certain raid bosses being doable in less gear, a few AQ40 bosses can be done in MC/early BWL gear, it shortens the servers life span and wasn't doable during real live progression, it'd make raiding even easier. It'd be like going into nighthold for the first time with ToS gear.

Classic wow is just a different game for a different type of person than you. We don't just play for nostalgia, we just enjoy a game you don't and that seems to confuse you or something. Nostalgia runs out, but people keep playing. It's really that simple.

Judging from reactions in guild: Some people are extremely happy. Typically those have been playing already on private and are looking forward to having a stable and supported classic experience. For them the classic announcement completely trumps the new expansion announcement. Others are 'interested' and will certainly have a look to see whether they like it, and still others can't be bothered and just look forward towards the next expansion.
    Myself I love the option. If the next expansion turns out to be a WoD, then I'll go 100% classic. If however it is a Legion quality expansion, then it will be tougher as both classic and modern WoW tend to be infinite time-sinks, and doing both would probably stretch it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And how many of those are player-created rather than created by the game.
    It is as easy to exclude players as someone else wants it to be.

That is not the fault of the game.
    Information on its own is not the problem, but how we choose to act upon it.
    Fair point. But I'm not making the argument that players aren't at fault. I'm making the argument that the current game is easier to exclude players based on what information is available, than what information is provided in Blizzard in Vanilla; it's not a fair statement that people will only be playing vanilla to exclude others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    You sound as if you were talking about Dark Souls. I doubt you ever played Vanilla.
    It depends on your class. Warriors got it really tough for example. Hunters and Locks are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    There are 6 raids in Vanilla: MC, ZG, BWL, AQ20/40, Naxx. Gearing takes awhile, 40 man raids and 2 pieces per boss, patches will most likely be released in progression, so BWL won't be out for a few months ect.

Leveling takes awhile as well. The hardcores will no life to 60 in a week or two, and the rest of the server will catch up in a month or two. Then you need to farm dungeons and resist gear/professions, then farm MC (And ZG if it's released, but iirc that came after MC), BWL will probably hit in 4ish months, then AQ opening event ect. They're not just going to drop all the raids at once because things get tricky with certain raid bosses being doable in less gear, a few AQ40 bosses can be done in MC/early BWL gear, it shortens the servers life span and wasn't doable during real live progression, it'd make raiding even easier. It'd be like going into nighthold for the first time with ToS gear.

Classic wow is just a different game for a different type of person than you. We don't just play for nostalgia, we just enjoy a game you don't and that seems to confuse you or something. Nostalgia runs out, but people keep playing. It's really that simple.
    I'm terribly confused by the idea that people can actually be entertained by a static game that's never going to be updated or have anything added to it. Like...ever.

I mean, Tic-Tac-Toe is a static game that I 'can' play, but I don't think I'd play $15 a month to play Tic-Tac-Toe, either.

Your explanation is basically "It'll take a lot longer to finish the stuff" but you KNOW that you're going to finish it. And then, when it's finished...that's it. I mean, that is IT. There's no Pre-BC patch, there's no BC, no LK, no nothing....Just "let's go kill Sulfuras again."

It baffles me. And for this limited ratrace, you're giving up X-mog, flying, much better balanced classes, ease of play, much less grind and actually engaging and complicated(in comparison) Raid fights. I mean, let's not pretend like MC was hard, ever.

You're giving up a ton of QOL stuff in return for getting dry-shafted because you plainly remember it being fun, kinda, back when you were younger and didn't know any better.

Yes, I'm fucking confused. This whole thing is fucking retarded.

It depends on your class. Warriors got it really tough for example. Hunters and Locks are a different story.
    I leveled a warrior. Well, you had to carry food and healing potions with you. Big fuckin 'deal. The description I quoted is still ridiculous. People are really exaggerating and their "memories" after 14 years are mainly from the Land of Wishful Thinking and Hearsay City.

And I love they explicitly stated 'There won’t be cross-realm servers'. Makes me feel J. understood some community stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm terribly confused by the idea that people can actually be entertained by a static game that's never going to be updated or have anything added to it. Like...ever.
    Why do you not think it will be progression realms? Reference?

What I sincerely hope is that they deliver a perfect replica of the Vanilla experience, right down to the unstable server crashes.

I've no doubt that some people will jump in here any moment to talk about how the server crashes were part of Vanilla's charm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    And I love they explicitly stated 'There won’t be cross-realm servers'. Makes me feel J. understood some community stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you not think it will be progression realms? Reference?
    Other than the fact that they went back to the original game, literally rewinding and naming it CLASSIC?

Just a fucking hunch, broseph.

10+ Year Old Account

I mean, Tic-Tac-Toe is a static game that I 'can' play, but I don't think I'd play $15 a month to play Tic-Tac-Toe, either.

Your explanation is basically "It'll take a lot longer to finish the stuff" but you KNOW that you're going to finish it. And then, when it's finished...that's it. I mean, that is IT. There's no Pre-BC patch, there's no BC, no LK, no nothing....Just "let's go kill Sulfuras again."

It baffles me. And for this limited ratrace, you're giving up X-mog, flying, much better balanced classes, ease of play, much less grind and actually engaging and complicated(in comparison) Raid fights. I mean, let's not pretend like MC was hard, ever.

You're giving up a ton of QOL stuff in return for getting dry-shafted because you plainly remember it being fun, kinda, back when you were younger and didn't know any better.

Yes, I'm fucking confused. This whole thing is fucking retarded.
    People quit all the time. Can I not play Vanilla wow and enjoy myself for a year, and then when it's all done and I've "beaten" it, stop playing? And can I not play live servers along side it, continuing to get all my X-mog, flying, "balanced classes" (Better than vanilla for sure, but still shite) ect? And how do you know they won't progress the server if its popular? EQ2 does it, with a much smaller crowd, but it's enough to keep servers running. EQ2 uses a vote system for progressing expansions, WOW could easily do the same. When the majority of the population is done with Vanilla, they vote and TBC pops. Pretty easy way to keep the server going if Blizz found a suitable way to arrange patche data and what not, if they're doing it with Vanilla they can do it with TBC ect.

And yeah, MC and BWL weren't very hard, but the reason most people use those as examples of Vanilla raids is because they never got beyond them, because AQ40/Naxx were not easy, and I have a feeling a lot of people will still struggle with them.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2017-11-04 at 06:50 AM.

Was recently leveling a Warrior on 'Blizz-like' private, and I don't see it being the extreme difficulty people tell it to be. Sure, you grab some food in between mobs, and you don't have a pet that takes the aggro (I leveled a Warlock before) , but apart from that ...

- - - Updated - - -

What I sincerely hope is that they deliver a perfect replica of the Vanilla experience, right down to the unstable server crashes.
    I've no doubt that some people will jump in here any moment to talk about how the server crashes were part of Vanilla's charm.
    Sounds like you have some personal issues man. Hope you'll get cured.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll never understand why people think nostalgia is literally the only reason people want Vanilla, can't possibly be because it's a different game and they enjoyed it more than live servers. Nostalgia wears off quickly, but people continue to play on private servers, because they just enjoy the game in general, and aren't trying to recapture some lost feelings or something.
    To each their own. If they like it, they can play it now. Go have fun. ^_^

I, on the other hand, consider the game to be VASTLY improved now. And I will be staying here; where I don't have to feed my pet, carry an entire bag of bullets/arrows, or wait till level 40 for a slow as fuck mount. Those are memories I do not want to re-live.
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2017-11-04 at 06:54 AM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolascancer View Post
    it's a different game man, it breeds a different player.
    Exactly - it bred elitism and exclusion, and the elite and exclusive loved it.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Dont get me wrong vanilla was great when it released but now there is nothing left to beat in vanilla, we defeated all raids, the only thing that remains is some pvp perhaps, why would you even bother with a game you have already defeated? there is nothing to progress upon, i never understood this vanilla server thing, it makes so sense.
    It's because they've been playing it on pservers, for free. I doubt people will be quite as enthusiastic when they have to pay a full sub for it.