Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leodric View Post
    You clearly have some problems understanding the connection between a characters statement and their emotions behind it. He was obviously disgusted by the Undead. He looked around, saw all the horrible shit around him and made that statement right afterwards. So there is again obviously a connection between it, especially because it is known, that Humans hate the Undead and find them unholy/disgusting (WC3 RoC Campaign). You can even read it in the wowwiki, which is of course written by some hardcore fans, but to just prove you, that you are twisting actually what he thought.

I quote:

"Varian and Jaina gathered the Alliance army and attacked Undercity, hoping to reclaim it as Lordaeron for the Alliance and bring Putress to justice. When entering Undercity, Varian becomes disgusted by the condition of the once great city, which he knew since childhood. Tracking Putress to the Apothecarium, Varian and Jaina defeated him. But, to Varian's horror, they also discovered dozens of mutilated and defiled human corpses, on which the Apothecary Society experimented to create the New Plague...."
    Connection, sure. But not MOTIVATION.

His intent to kill all the "Green Aberrations" and the motivation behind it are -clearly- outlined. Sylvanas and the treatment of Undercity are almost an afterthought compared to that. Yeah, he was disgusted by the undead. But not -nearly- so disgusted as he was with Thrall. And it wasn't what lead to his ultimate decision in destroying Thrall's "Kingdom of Murderers and Thieves" rather than "Torturers and Necromancers" or "Gravediggers and Corpses" or some other phrasing.

I'm not saying he wasn't angry, horrified, upset, whatever about the corpses and the experiments. I'm saying that people are putting WAY TOO MUCH emphasis on those things compared to what the character is actually -actively- communicating.

As to WoW-Wiki, I wouldn't put -too- much faith in their phrasing since it's written by players, not developers. Each with their own personal takes and biases on the events of the story. But it -is- worth noting that Varian intended to go to war -before- leaving for the Undercity.

Full disclosure: I joined WoW when Cata Launched (My mother finally convinced me to get an account). So I didn't get to -do- the Battle for the Undercity event. I only read about it and watched videos of it on Youtube and the like.

Apparently Varian initially thought the Horde had betrayed the Alliance at the Wrathgate (Which is dumb, since the Horde lost just as many soldiers and heroes, there, as the Alliance, but there's a reason Varian was a Warrior and not a Mage...) and intended to go to Undercity to conquer it. Then Jaina told him the truth of what happened and he changed is plans, slightly, to "Kill Apothecary Putress, -then- Conquer Lordaeron"

Soooo... we're actually arguing over something largely irrelevant, since what happened in the Undercity is largely irrelevant: Varian had decided to kill Thrall and take Lordaeron before he ever left Stormwind..?
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Elven Athena View Post
    If expansion ends with everything Horde being razed to the ground, and Horde races being scattered to the winds without any homes, remember that when you return to these forums. Because that's how a faction war should end. not like it did in MoP where Garrosh becomes the bad guy everyone gets to attack and the horde whiners gets to pretend they were victims of mean ol' mister hellscream too.
    Hardly a fair trade. Forsaken 'homeland' is a rotten, plagued out sewer full of undead and filth. Teldrassil is a beautiful, aesthetically pleasing zone.
    Teldrassil will be a giant piece of ruined coal.
    Lordaeron can in time be restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Elven Athena View Post
    Hardly a fair trade. Forsaken 'homeland' is a rotten, plagued out sewer full of undead and filth. Teldrassil is a beautiful, aesthetically pleasing zone.
    Tirisfal glades is like this unwanted deformed child with tumors. It is ugly and noone wants to be near of it, but everyone knows, in the heart, this child is just beautiful

No seriously, Trisfal and Silverpine are one of the best looking zones in the old world IMHO

5+ Year Old Account
    Tactical Benefits of Teldrassil: None.
    Economic Benefits of Teldrassil: Minimal. (Most resources come from neighboring territories)
    Aesthetic Benefits of Teldrassil: None. (It's a big stump.)

Tactical Benefits of Undercity: Seaside Stronghold commanding a sheltered valley with narrow passes to enter.
    Economic Benefits of Undercity: Minimal (Most resources come from neighboring territories)
    Aesthetic Benefits of Undercity: Moderate (It's gloomy as fuck, but that's aesthetically pleasing to Goths and Edgelords)

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Tactical Benefits of Teldrassil: None.
    Economic Benefits of Teldrassil: Minimal. (Most resources come from neighboring territories)
    Aesthetic Benefits of Teldrassil: None. (It's a big stump.)

Tactical Benefits of Undercity: Seaside Stronghold commanding a sheltered valley with narrow passes to enter.
    Economic Benefits of Undercity: Minimal (Most resources come from neighboring territories)
    Aesthetic Benefits of Undercity: Moderate (It's gloomy as fuck, but that's aesthetically pleasing to Goths and Edgelords)
    I still think that at some point Teldrassil is going to be showered with Azurite and that’s the yellow glow in the non-burning concept art.

In which case, Ecomonic benefit of Teldrassil: immeasurable

I *might* be misremembering this, but I'm pretty sure at some point during BlizzCon when this was shown they responded under the context of rebuilding the city that it would be revisited with their modern standards of design and fidelity. I don't remember the panel, I don't remember the people, but I remember hearing something to this effect. It was carefully phrased and they didn't want to make it out as a promise, I think.

I really, really, really hope we get to choose to change back to the original version whenever we please just as with Theramore, Blasted Lands and Silithus.
    Next time I hope they burn down ugly fucking Stormwind instead of Darnassus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ningjinq View Post
    I still think that at some point Teldrassil is going to be showered with Azurite and that’s the yellow glow in the non-burning concept art.

Where can I find this concept art?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Right, as Alliance I really fail to understand why some people are so nostalgic about that ugly stump.

Even if you disregard the uglyness, it's also the most inconvenient capital city from a gameplay standpoint. If you have any business in Northern Kalimdor, the best way is Stormwind->Mount Hyjal and fly from there (or Moonglade if you're a druid).
    There we go! corebit said it was ugly so it must be ugly...no one else could possibly have a different opinion!

http://wow.zamimg.com/images/blizzar...Teldrassil.jpg See the yellow glow? Imo that’s Azurite. To me that’s also just about the only tactical reasoning for burning it or attacking it in the first place for the Horde.

5+ Year Old Account

I hope the story is that the Nelves steal Azerite and stockpile it in Darnassus, which leads the Horde to marching on the city (Crushing Darkshore along the way) and then watching as the tree explodes without the Horde actually firing a single shot when the Azerite goes up 'cause the Nelves do something catastrophically wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkins View Post
    I *might* be misremembering this, but I'm pretty sure at some point during BlizzCon when this was shown they responded under the context of rebuilding the city that it would be revisited with their modern standards of design and fidelity. I don't remember the panel, I don't remember the people, but I remember hearing something to this effect. It was carefully phrased and they didn't want to make it out as a promise, I think.
    I don't recall, but I hope that's true.

7+ Year Old Account
    Alliance complains about losing a City...

Horde loses Ruins of Lordaeron too.

When Horde has lost 3 leaders, characters that were beloved by some while they still have most of their original leaders. Yeah okay sounds fair to me.

"Only Beasts are above deceit" - Rexxar

7+ Year Old Account
    http://wow.zamimg.com/images/blizzar...Teldrassil.jpg See the yellow glow? Imo that’s Azurite. To me that’s also just about the only tactical reasoning for burning it or attacking it in the first place for the Horde.
    While it does make a certain kind of sense, you can deduce that the glowing points are not "showered" all over; but rather, arrayed precisely and in trails & clusters that suggest "roads" & "enclaves" - which is exactly what a city grown into a giant tree would look like.

I think some shit is bound to go down when the Windrunner Sisters have their reunion. Vareesa is mysteriously MIA, so I'm thinking she dies in such a way that Sylvanas sees fit to blame the NElves and burn everything down. Sylvanas is and always has been a vengeful bitch, but she's no warmonger.
    Last edited by vondevon; 2018-01-22 at 04:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Bannon: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Covfefe The Wise?
    Trump: No?
    Bannon: I thought not. It’s not a story the Democrats would tell you. It’s a GOP legend. Covfefe was a Dark Lord of the GOP, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the masses to vote against their interests… He had such a knowledge of demagoguery, he could even keep the ones he cared about from becoming liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyduke View Post
    Dude. She killed his son. What do you expect? Of course he's going to follow her and try to kill her until one of them dies. I take it you don't have children do you?
    His son died taking a bullet for him.

"How dare you not magically stop your arrow when you saw it wasn't going to hit the target you wanted!?" /froth

It actually always felt to me like Genn was disrespecting his son's sacrifice by stirring up all this trouble in his name. How many Gilneans have died in conflicts that Genn started "because his son was killed"? Would his son want his people dying in his name? Nope.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Decisive The Hallowed View Post
    Anyone else annoyed that once again Horde has taken another chunk of major Alliance territory, this time an actual homeland of a race, which judging by the image from Blizzcon, has been completely destroyed.
    While....Horde just have to defend off the Alliance from a corroding castle that really means very little?
    The fact that its even stated that Teldrassil was destroyed, but Horde are only simply attacked? Lorderon isn't taken over, isn't destroyed, no...just...attacked. Which we can easily assume they will defend off the forces of the Alliance and still keep their rotting castle. With the possible outcome of a few small Alliance bases settled into Lorderon land just for a few skirmishes... How is that even remotely fair Blizzard?
    Alliance needs more loss. Horde has lost alot more than Alliance ever did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyduke View Post
    Dude. She killed his son. What do you expect? Of course he's going to follow her and try to kill her until one of them dies. I take it you don't have children do you?
    Not saying that Genn reasons are not justified.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Not saying that Genn reasons are not justified.
    But... they're not?

Like, I get his loss. I get how powerfully wrecked he is. But he's far from the first king to lose a son to an enemy and his responsibility is to his people, not his vengeance. He's getting his allies killed, and his people killed, while leaving them as refugees in foreign lands for his revenge.

He's a bad king. Good father, bad king.

10+ Year Old Account
    But... they're not?

Like, I get his loss. I get how powerfully wrecked he is. But he's far from the first king to lose a son to an enemy and his responsibility is to his people, not his vengeance. He's getting his allies killed, and his people killed, while leaving them as refugees in foreign lands for his revenge.

Not saying he is right or that is a good justification, but it is a justification for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    His son died taking a bullet for him.

"How dare you not magically stop your arrow when you saw it wasn't going to hit the target you wanted!?" /froth

It actually always felt to me like Genn was disrespecting his son's sacrifice by stirring up all this trouble in his name. How many Gilneans have died in conflicts that Genn started "because his son was killed"? Would his son want his people dying in his name? Nope.
    I agree, IMHO Genn should have made a statue of his son and be done with it.

Maybe even remember him in an event, but not remember him as his son, but as a soldier that sacrificed everything to save his people, like many others, to also give some peace to all those gilneans that lost family in the war against the Scourge / worgen / forsaken.

But... they're not?

What? How is he responsible for what the Horde does? That has to be the most asinine "horde dindu nuffin" excuse I've seen on this website.

Quote Originally Posted by Decisive The Hallowed View Post
    Lorderon isn't taken over, isn't destroyed, no...just...attacked.
    It is both taken over and destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Leodok View Post
    It is both taken over and destroyed.
    They fall back.
    So no its not taken over.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor