"Alleria is the first mortal to succeed at defying the shadow's whispers"

This comes from the Void Elf description on the official site.

The full quote is:
    Many have sought to harness the corruptive magic of the Void. Most who tried have fallen into madness. Determined to use this power for the good of Azeroth, Alleria Windrunner is the first mortal to succeed at defying the shadow's whispers. Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, Alleria has vowed to train these Void Elves to control the shadows within them and pledge their newfound powers to the Alliance.

Makes me wonder if shadow priests (pre-Alleria) have been made non-canon now. Kinda hard to believe considering their Artifact Weapon, Order Hall and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    This comes from the Void Elf description on the official site.

The full quote is:

Makes me wonder if shadow priests (pre-Alleria) have been made non-canon now. Kinda hard to believe considering their Artifact Weapon, Order Hall and such.
    Dabbling into the void and embracing it are very different things.

7+ Year Old Account
    shadow priests are canon.

unlike shadow priests however, alleria literally eats void energy.

Formerly known as Arafal

Void elves are the Demon hunters of the new expansion, just for fan service.

I still fail to see the difference. Priests can soak themselves in void via shadowform and, more recently, void form. They do harness the powers of the void on a large scale. Shouldn't the void be constantly trying to corrupt one in such a close contact with it? Not to mention the corruptive influence of the Artifact which is basically the physical embodiment of the void?
    Last edited by Trollokdamus; 2017-11-05 at 04:04 PM.

Deleted
    I still fail to see the difference. Priests can soak themselves in void via shadowform and, more recently, void form. They do harness the powers of the void on a large scale. Shouldn't the void be constantly trying to corrupt one in such a close contact with it? Not to mention the corruptive influence of the Artifact which is basically the physical embodiment of the void?
    It's the same difference between Fel-user like Warlocks and a Demon Hunter.

Shadow priests channel the void. Alleria and the void elves are 'wrapping' themselves in it it; they make it a part of themselves.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2017-11-05 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    Shadow priests channel the void. Alleria and the void elves are 'wrapping' themselves in it it; they make it a part of themselves.
    So shadowform is basically noncanon for spriests.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimpe View Post
    Void elves are the Demon hunters of the new expansion, just for fan service.
    Don't see how they're fan service. Void elves didn't exist until this argus patch, nobody gives a crap about them. There's a million subraces people would choose over void elves.

Deleted
    I think it goes a different route. Like with Warlocks and Demon Hunters. One of them uses the energies, and one of them actually makes part of a void creature fuse with themselves.
    It's also a matter of how fast you do it. Shadowpriests learn to use that power and slowly incorporate some of it, void elves do it all in one go.
    That's my take on it.
    The general philosophy may play a role too, priests are priests after all, that's about cooperation with beings of higher power. For the others it's bending the void creature's will to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Don't see how they're fan service. Void elves didn't exist until this argus patch, nobody gives a crap about them. There's a million subraces people would choose over void elves.
    They are essentially blood elves are they not? The most played race in wow, -only now with DARKNESS

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    the difference is if shadow priests succumb too much to the void they are consumed by it and die, see Surrender to Madness

Once again, shadow priest channel void energy, yes even their shadowform is just channeling, just more than usual. What Alleria does is basically consuming it all making it a part of herself.

That's not what I was saying. Don't twist my words.

To me, Void Elves are an unwanted fan service.

We said HIGH ELVES, Blizzard!

Dammit!

Mhm, I always thought shadowform was a visual sign of a priest merging with the void, making it part of their very being. Anyway, I see what you're saying guys but my point still stands. Void is extremely corruptive and, channeling it, priests have to resist its influence in order to not go insane. But Blizzard are now saying that Alleria is the first mortal to have successfully resisted the shadow's whispers.

Mhm, I always thought shadowform was a visual sign of a priest merging with the void, making it part of their very being. Anyway, I see what you're saying guys but my point still stands. Void is extremely corruptive and, channeling it, priests have to resist its influence in order to not go insane. But Blizzard are now saying that Alleria is the first mortal to have successfully resisted the shadow's whispers.
    Shadow priest hear these whispers, while they channel the void. Alleria hears them 24/7 and the more she absorbs the louder they become.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicrusader View Post
    To me, Void Elves are an unwanted fan service.

We said HIGH ELVES, Blizzard!

Dammit!
    What if you could make a Void Elf with very light - almost white - skin and blond hair? That probably means that, outside of Edgeform, they'll look like High Elves, because their eyes are white-blueish!

This is the person whose going to absorb N'zoth so it makes sense that she would not only be immune but also thrive in it.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWithTheWeatherReport View Post
    This is the person whose going to absorb N'zoth so it makes sense that she would not only be immune but also thrive in it.
    Headcanon much again Larry?
    That was just a random vision which will, most likely, never happen.