1. #1

    Question: Option to fight with weapons

    Hi everyone,
    I would like to hear your thoughts about Monks and how they fight. Now I dont have anything against Monks fighting with their fists and feet. I would just like to have an option to toggle off the punches and kicks and have normal animations with a weapon.
    I believe it would not be that big of a deal to change the weaponless attacks of the monk to attacks with weapons. There are plenty of animations to cover every attack, even fists of fury could have an animation like double whirwind or a shorter, slower bladestorm.
    What do you think? It his so unrealistic, would it destroy the Monk theme? I always had the impression, that Monks could very much fight with weapons all the time without using kicks and stuff like that.
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

  2. #2
    I don't think monks should have had a weapon slot to begin with. AFAIK our damage scales more with our stats than weapon damage, so not a big deal there. I just think it's stupid that monks formed from learning how to fight without weapons, then went "ok the mogu are beaten. Start handing out the weapons".
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I don't think monks should have had a weapon slot to begin with. AFAIK our damage scales more with our stats than weapon damage, so not a big deal there. I just think it's stupid that monks formed from learning how to fight without weapons, then went "ok the mogu are beaten. Start handing out the weapons".

    Would be cool to have the option. Dont you agree?

  4. #4
    I would very much prefer it as it used to be. In the past monks had one weapon strike and it fitted perfectly imo.

    More or less I accepted the fistweapons because the class is fun in general but I hate them deeply. I wish I could draw a sword / axe / polearm... only from time to time.

    Having high hopes for the new expansion because the artifact will be gone which could open up other weapon slots with an attack again.

  5. #5
    to clarify, I just want the option. Players who want to fight without weapons should totally be able to do that. But I would like to have the option to fight with weapons. Maybe a glyph, maybe a option to toggle. Something like that. I see the "they learned to fight withouth weapons" argument, but I think they could also learn that from now on. I think it would not hurt anyone if if would just be an option
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

  6. #6
    No, it would kill the theme completely. The whole point of monks right now is kicks and punches.

    It is very similar to other classes situation, arms warriors for example. Thematically they can wear all weapons possible (heck the name "arms"), but it would be VERY strange to see them using knuckles or daggers.

    Second part is implementation. They still can't make casters use their weapons to cast spells and you're asking for special animations as an OPTION to the LEAST played class around. Nah, too unrealistic.

    But honestly I would love having a leg weapon boots (as a part of the main weapon) for monks that would be shown even when the fists are sheathed.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    No, it would kill the theme completely. The whole point of monks right now is kicks and punches.

    It is very similar to other classes situation, arms warriors for example. Thematically they can wear all weapons possible (heck the name "arms"), but it would be VERY strange to see them using knuckles or daggers.

    Second part is implementation. They still can't make casters use their weapons to cast spells and you're asking for special animations as an OPTION to the LEAST played class around. Nah, too unrealistic.

    But honestly I would love having a leg weapon boots (as a part of the main weapon) for monks that would be shown even when the fists are sheathed.
    I am not asking for special animations. I am asking, that they use the animations they use for other classes as an option. I also disagree that it would feel wrong to have an arms warrior use something different than a two handed weapon. I could argue for a Paladin, yeah. Shamans used two handers, and it is sad, that they cant nowadays. Also, I hate it, that Fury Warriors need to use two two handed weapons. And since I would like to see an option, not a complete redesign, I think it would not kill the theme. The people who would like to not use the option are fine, and people who think it is sad that they cant use their weapons and just carry them on their back have the option to use them.
    I agree, that it is about time, that casters get the option to use their weapons while casting. Thats just a thing that was possible in Warhammer online.
    I could also see weapons that are attached to your boots, thats a very cool idea. Your fists are free, but the boots are weaponized. Or both, I think that would be possible too.
    If you dont like it, I totally see your point. I am on the other side, I would love to see the weapons used. But thats why I just want an option. So everyone can pick what they prefer.
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

  8. #8
    I dunno, it's like asking for frost mages to use shadow magic as an option. If you want dual wield swords then why not rolling more appropriate rogue spec then. It's like you're saying that "I want this, with this and this, but without this and that."
    You're completely ignoring many factors like the spec lore, artifact connections etc.

    I'm actually happy that WW can't transmog fists into swords. At the same time I hate Demon Hunters running around with katanas, light sabers and scimitars instead of warglaves. It just feels weird and wrong. Well, at least to me.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I dunno, it's like asking for frost mages to use shadow magic as an option. If you want dual wield swords then why not rolling more appropriate rogue spec then. It's like you're saying that "I want this, with this and this, but without this and that."
    You're completely ignoring many factors like the spec lore, artifact connections etc.

    I'm actually happy that WW can't transmog fists into swords. At the same time I hate Demon Hunters running around with katanas, light sabers and scimitars instead of warglaves. It just feels weird and wrong. Well, at least to me.
    I am ignoring artefacts all together in my request. Since they go away. I think more of BfA options where we get all new weapons. I dont want fist weapons to be transmogged into swords for example. Though compared, I would like to be able to let a Warrior wield two one handed swords as a fury. But I also dont see a problem if someone wants to transmog their fistweapon to a dagger or a sword. What would be the problem to you personally? Does it even affect you?
    My opinion comes from a more aesthetic point of view. In legion we have the artefacts, I can live with that, though it was quite annoying for me playing some specs.
    Your last part, concerning demon hunter, I understand that. Thats me on the other side, where I would enjoy the monk more (or play a monk) if I could use the weapons all the time. And that is just for my personal view, I dont want to change it for other people. Its like the option for straight up standing orcs. Great, that everyone can choose. And I can see how this running around as a DH without glaives annoys you.
    Your Mage example, i think its a bit different, I would as that a frostmage can use axes or two handed swords.
    I also disagree that I am asking for this this and this. I wrote that I would like to be able to do do this as an option, completly not interfering with other players who would prefer weaponless combat.
    Your lore example, the theme of the class, I see that. Though on the other hand we could also argue, that since the shadow pan or the pandaren as a whole, live free from the mogu who forbid using weapons. So at this point it would be quite acceptable to train with weapons. Different enemies need different tactics and not using weapons would simply put you on a disatvantage and be (on a totally tactical view, absolutely not refering to your points) stupid. One could argue, that the monks started to train using weapons while still honoring the way of the weaponless combat. Again, just as an option and with this explanation I cant see a problem with that. The world moves on.

    Funny you mention the rogue. Two specs can only be played with daggers. Thats fitting to the core fantasy of the class. Thats why I run around as an outlaw when I play my rogue. I also hate many tank animations, especially the female belf who holds her shield to the back instead infront of her. I gender changed her to a male belf when I started to tank in LK. I just could not take it. Many other animations for tanks are the same. There is only the animation for weapons but with the shield, and thats just sad. I hope there will be some more tanky options for tanks in the future. Same goes for worgen. I would love to play a worgen, but ALL the animations (tank, heal, casting, melee) annoy me. I just cant play it because my eyes bleed. I am weird that way I know.
    Still, an option would be nice. I see your point and respect it, and since there are no news of a change it will be the way you prefer it.
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas Prime View Post
    I also hate many tank animations, especially the female belf who holds her shield to the back instead infront of her.
    I understand your pain, bro. Who the heck thought that was a good idea?

    Your points are completely reasonable. There are always pros and cons for any new implementation. Pretty sure Blizzard considered different options for fist animations and stuff as it was the most mentioned issue about "feeling epic" while running around with your weapons around Dalaran. I wish that would be as easy as putting your daggers on your back like with rogues.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bas Prime View Post
    Still, an option would be nice.
    This example is not really related to our discussion, but I'm still writing it.
    Some years ago when Aeon (that korean mmo) released for the west I tried it. The whole thing about insane customization was something very huge to me, a real deal. Well, in a week the world was flooded with absolutely atrocious mutants with long spaghetti legs/arms, giant monsters or just unidentifiable creatures. This "option" scarred me so much that I'm still having PTSD about it till this day
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2017-11-08 at 04:25 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I understand your pain, bro. Who the heck thought that was a good idea?

    Your points are completely reasonable. There are always pros and cons for any new implementation. Pretty sure Blizzard considered different options for fist animations and stuff as it was the most mentioned issue about "feeling epic" while running around with your weapons around Dalaran. I wish that would be as easy as putting your daggers on your back like with rogues.

    - - - Updated - - -



    This example is not really related to our discussion, but I'm still writing it.
    Some years ago when Aeon (that korean mmo) released for the west I tried it. The whole thing about insane customization was something very huge to me, a real deal. Well, in a week the world was flooded with absolutely atrocious mutants with long spaghetti legs/arms, giant monsters or just unidentifiable creatures. This "option" scarred me so much that I'm still having PTSD about it till this day
    Yeah, no, those options should be reasonable. I would like to see taller orcs or gnomes the size of a normal dwarf (who in turn could also be taller, but not as tall as a human) just in a normal way. As the body option in swtor. You can pick from 4 body types. I would like this as an option. But again, no, not that weird stuff they did in Aeon you described. It musst be reasonable and in a "normal" way, as far as the warcraft bodies are able to be normal here =)
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas Prime View Post
    Yeah, no, those options should be reasonable. I would like to see taller orcs or gnomes the size of a normal dwarf (who in turn could also be taller, but not as tall as a human) just in a normal way. As the body option in swtor. You can pick from 4 body types. I would like this as an option. But again, no, not that weird stuff they did in Aeon you described. It musst be reasonable and in a "normal" way, as far as the warcraft bodies are able to be normal here =)
    I fear the day when I would see a dwarf-size gnome...

    Blizzard said that they would make straight back orcs as a sub-race. Well, they already did straight back trolls in the way of zandalari ones. I'm changing to zandalari troll monk day one. I was previously a troll monk, but it's impossible to make a good tmog for him because of those shoulders and cloak looking like a kid version.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I fear the day when I would see a dwarf-size gnome...

    Blizzard said that they would make straight back orcs as a sub-race. Well, they already did straight back trolls in the way of zandalari ones. I'm changing to zandalari troll monk day one. I was previously a troll monk, but it's impossible to make a good tmog for him because of those shoulders and cloak looking like a kid version.
    The straight back option was confirmed at blizzcon, or am i misunderstanding you? I hope normal trolls get this option too
    Blademasters are as much Warriors as Navy Seals are Soldiers.
    A possible thought of a Blademaster about Warriors
    "They shout, they curse, stabbing wildly; more brawlers than warriors. They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part"
    (300)

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas Prime View Post
    The straight back option was confirmed at blizzcon
    Yes. In one of the interviews one of the devs from the panel said that they're implementing straight-back orcs in the future.

  15. #15
    I'd just like fist weapons that weren't cartoonishly huge, ugly as shit, stupid looking, or gaudy.

    Given that we use our legs and feet a lot too, I'd like it if we had leg and foot wear that looked weaponized or something. Otherwise I'm fine with the way it is currently.
    SW:ToR Referral code for 7 free days of play: http://www.swtor.com/r/kyRr8Z

    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are Stupid

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •