Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Oomkin Vanilla Thread

Get ready to spam that Starfire and get out of mana!

oomkins weren't a thing till TBC...

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Well.. ok

Well, technically they were added with AQ. And for some reason breathed through their feet.

They didn't really become relevant until BC, though. No gear support, no power.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Well, technically they were added with AQ. And for some reason breathed through their feet.

Once these servers launch you'll find these things to be pretty different then you remember. The classic community has made a point of working out new ways to make old problems disappear and now there are bombkins, ferals, and ret paladins doing very respectable dps.

The problem is, in classic the buffs you can get are insane. There are dozens of consumables, buffs and ways you can improve your player power to the point that you might have 3+ rows of buffs in any raid, and more than half of them will come from something other than another class.

Without this type of effort ret paladin and bombkin is absolutely useless, but when you are getting full consumables you can actually reach levels of stats where your issues like being oom stop mattering.

It requires a ton more effort then say a Warlock though, and you barely get the same results.
    Regardless, it is totally playable. SUCKS for leveling though.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    The problem is, in classic the buffs you can get are insane. There are dozens of consumables, buffs and ways you can improve your player power to the point that you might have 3+ rows of buffs in any raid, and more than half of them will come from something other than another class.
    Flasks weren't unique, sooo, have fun stacking literally every alchemical creation, plus all the world items and buffs
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Moonkin was added a few months before AQ was added. Patch 1.8 Oct 2005 and AQ's patch was in Jan 2006. Either way it was a bit after the halfway point of Vanilla and well before the 1.12 patch that most people are familiar with.

As far as gear support there was some that they added in Dire Maul and even put in new pieces in places like Stratholme that were serviceable blue items. It just wasn't a good spot for moonkins until TBC though, like you say. Raiding in actual Vanilla in '05-'06 was quite the chore and many guilds were against the build because if you were a druid you were meant to heal in Vanilla as the saying goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Once these servers launch you'll find these things to be pretty different then you remember. The classic community has made a point of working out new ways to make old problems disappear and now there are bombkins, ferals, and ret paladins doing very respectable dps.

Without this type of effort ret paladin and bombkin is absolutely useless, but when you are getting full consumables you can actually reach levels of stats where your issues like being oom stop mattering.

It requires a ton more effort then say a Warlock though, and you barely get the same results.
    I'm not really worried about the 'classic community' that played on Vanilla-Like servers as it was mostly patch 1.12 and plenty of bug fixes/changes that were made over original Vanilla. Until it is known how the patching/buff system will be done on Blizzard's Legacy it really isn't worth going into much.

Just hit with your staff to get mana back!

10+ Year Old Account
    There is plenty of gear of balance druids in vanilla.

It is all cloth and you just need to get used to clothies loosing their shit when you roll on gear.

How it was through BC too
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post

It is all cloth and you just need to get used to clothies loosing their shit when you roll on gear.

There was plenty of leather as well, you couldn't always just take whatever cloth you wanted and even less of the case when competing for gear in 40 man raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    There was plenty of leather as well, you couldn't always just take whatever cloth you wanted and even less of the case when competing for gear in 40 man raids.

There was some elather...but you would need to just use it as a stepping stone to cloth...sorry clothies...but BIS is BIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Deleted
    Sadly it's is more true that there was leather gear but not with spell dmg stats (bwl chromagus leather gloves but had no spell dmg only hit or was it crit?). Most of the leather items where for healing and it wasn't ontill mid tbc that healer gear got a hybrid healer/spell dmg stat going.
    But i did raid uptil nax40 as moonkin. Yet it wasn't easy had a few healers get but hurt that their dps cloth went to a leather user a few times. (also got the mace from nefferion and his trinket)

and next thing for moonkins was threat.. really at times you couldn't go oom befor you pulled threat 2-3 times and just shift to cat form and cower away while bleeding.
    (again tbc added threat reduction into their spell dmg spec, the healer threat reduction talent wasn't ment for damaging spells)

And then there was the buffs, moonkin aura (stuck with mages and warlocks groups) and you had to keep buffing the tank with thorns with T1 items 10-15 mins if i remember correctly on the timer.
    And keep farie fire up. which reduced bosses armor and added hit chance (spell hit) which became a gobal hit chance again in tbc. yet i'd still try again to be a moonkin in the new "old server" nothing like 1-3 shotting elites while farming

Moonkin was added a few months before AQ was added. Patch 1.8 Oct 2005 and AQ's patch was in Jan 2006. Either way it was a bit after the halfway point of Vanilla and well before the 1.12 patch that most people are familiar with.

As far as gear support there was some that they added in Dire Maul and even put in new pieces in places like Stratholme that were serviceable blue items. It just wasn't a good spot for moonkins until TBC though, like you say. Raiding in actual Vanilla in '05-'06 was quite the chore and many guilds were against the build because if you were a druid you were meant to heal in Vanilla as the saying goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not really worried about the 'classic community' that played on Vanilla-Like servers as it was mostly patch 1.12 and plenty of bug fixes/changes that were made over original Vanilla. Until it is known how the patching/buff system will be done on Blizzard's Legacy it really isn't worth going into much.
    Well no, in terms of buffs it worked exactly as it had in retail. The only difference is that some of the items, especially foods were not available until later patches.
    All those world buffs like the ZG and ONY turn in were there as soon as their raids were available.

That's part of why Classic can be so daunting but also why raiding can be so easy. Recently private servers have been disabling these buffs to make sure people were facing the raids with as much effort needed as possible.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

<snip>
    They're probably not going to release Classic Servers until 9.0 or even later and I'm willing to bet they will probably tweak the numbers to not have such awful issues. If every class only has 1 viable spec to play, I really don't think players in 2017 will bother a sub cost over the (free) private servers.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I took a ton of effort to still be inferior to cloth casters. Who could get the same buffs as you. And if you ever died, you had to do it all over again, which, depending on the buff in question, wasn't really feasible during a raid.

Not to mention that the other casters could also get all this stuff, so it didn't make you any better compared to them.

Really, you're vastly overestimating how useful it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post

I still remember getting the Robe of Volatile Power in MC, and of course the Staff of Dominance. Still, would have been nice if the class sets had at least been useable. They actually removed all spell power from the tier 2 set for some arcane reason and only put +heal on it.
    There wasn't enough raid leather for a full set until AQ. And that set was a silly hodgepodge of poor design ideas.

There wasn't enough raid leather for a full set until AQ. And that set was a silly hodgepodge of poor design ideas.
    No question, it was badly itemized, I mean I was using blues from Strat that were leather int/spellpower gear that was better than raid drops because that was what they gave us to use as 'new' gear on one of the patches. I dunno about anyone else but I sure as hell don't remember 11-13 years ago going gungho to get as many buffs as some of these people are claiming.

could have sworn it wasn't added till TBC content came out and even in AQ balance druids had hurricane as their 31 pt talent.

there were ways around the gearing... except you had to compete with actual dps for anything and most of the shit with spell damage was either cloth or not for druids.

And yet when you click through random Vanilla logs it's nothing but fury warriors, rogues and mages.

could have sworn it wasn't added till TBC content came out and even in AQ balance druids had hurricane as their 31 pt talent.

there were ways around the gearing... except you had to compete with actual dps for anything and most of the shit with spell damage was either cloth or not for druids.
    No, it was one or two patches before AQ that they redid Balance and made Hurricane available to all Druids and castable on ground. I think it was the one that added Silithus. I still remember drowning in a puddle there.

A mage in full greens of fiery wrath(assuming they could stay alive) did more damage than available gear in most slots before naxx/AQ40. I'm not sure how much arcane/nature boomkin breaks down to.
    Feral druid was very interesting niche in vanilla with a large collection or variable level armor items for bear form that were make or break.
    Talent trees were VERY hybrid also depending what options you went with.