Wind Walker Monks

Hey all. Monks have always been a class which have interested me to actually have a go at. Have recently got my monk to 110 but not really sure what spec to go. BrM and WW both catch my attention and currently feeling WW. However, from what I can tell WW is a bit lack luster currently in pve. Am I mistaken or???? Any idea how they are looking for the new raid. I know I should be aiming for fun within my class but I feel like it would be a put off to play if invest a lot of time into the character but just feel like a wet pool noodle.

Cheers

Don't know your current item lvl but my super casual ~ 920 WW lady hits like a truck. Entering Argus at the beginning with around 840 I felt a little wonky but every 10 item level felt like a big improvement. As for raiding I don't know but I'd say you have nice burst and can take down ads super fast. Dependeing on your talents AOE should be upper middle of the pack but I'll leave that info to people that actually do high end raiding.

It took a little to grow on me but right know I consider WW (and monk in general) top three of my favourite classes fun wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Koojix View Post
    Am I mistaken or???? Any idea how they are looking for the new raid. I know I should be aiming for fun within my class but I feel like it would be a put off to play if invest a lot of time into the character but just feel like a wet pool noodle.

Cheers
    It's pretty much the same for every class. I have every class except druid mage and hunter. My main is a dk. An unholy one. Took me a whole year to finally get the 2 BiS (and all the unholy legendaries. yeah #FML again). And still, I find monk more fun to play. They have an unique style. They may seem fragile, but when you have LiLi Stormstout as your companion it makes everything easier be it BrM or WW.
    Now you may be right when Antorus will come out : their new set suck. But I'm pretty sure I'll still be playing it. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't play too much with the T19 set, because a lot of ppl seem to miss the strong synergy it provides to WW.
    Why don't you play both ? Just put legendaries loot to WW until you get the 2 BiS (or 3rd or 4th) and then switch to BrM. I played both because WW monk wasn't strong enough to survive against the rare elites.
    Another fun thing to have : the daily keg loot. You have a chance to get an infinite roll buff for 1 hour, which is very fun in Argus. You're literally the fastest guy. Even faster than the crafted legendaries.
    Now you're right about Raid dps. They're not the best. However, I'm not really having as much fun with a dk as I am with a monk. Not to mention monks are pretty versatile. DK ? You have to tunnel a boss with valkyr. You have to constantly spam Death Coil in order to do a lot of damage. You have to pay attention to a lot of ressources. You have to suck it up with your slow ass movement speed.
    Same sh.t with Spriest, You can't move as much as a monk.
    War ? They're good at dps. I just hate the fact that they have to rely on a spell every 30 sec or something in order to maximize the damage because that's where it all comes from.
    Shaman ? Meh. enh need like 3-4 even 5 constants buffs to be refreshed every 10 sec aswell before you can use Stormstrike and hit like a mad man. Pretty annoying aswell.
    Paladin ? Booooooooooooorrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg. Why not playing a Rogue instead ? They provide more damage and are more mobile.

And last but not least, they all need a specific legendary and set pieces in order to be competitive. Soooooooo yeah.
    If your monk is already 110, try to get him set for Antorus and do a few weekly M+ +4 set pieces. It won't kill you, will it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Koojix View Post
    Hey all. Monks have always been a class which have interested me to actually have a go at. Have recently got my monk to 110 but not really sure what spec to go. BrM and WW both catch my attention and currently feeling WW. However, from what I can tell WW is a bit lack luster currently in pve. Am I mistaken or???? Any idea how they are looking for the new raid. I know I should be aiming for fun within my class but I feel like it would be a put off to play if invest a lot of time into the character but just feel like a wet pool noodle.

Cheers
    WWs are currently fine being in the middle of the parses. Not bad, but not great either. Pretty much DH level of relevance, but slightly harder in execution.

You will find most answers here http://peakofserenity.com/

Brewmaster section is completely dead tho

10+ Year Old Account
    BrM is super slow kill time with shit aoe, only play this if you are running M+ or raids. WW is great in open world once you get decent gear 880+ I am currently around 920 as well and destroy everything. WW can in fact solo any of the elites but you must know how to use transcendance, karma, and your brew at the right times to heal cuz you are squishy. I found it is better to be squishy with a fast kill time than be unkillable but take forever to kill anything. I think MW is actually faster than BrM lol and MW is hella fun in pvp but unfortunately it is just yet another hard casting boring healer in pve thx to Legion redesign.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    BrM is super slow kill time with shit aoe, only play this if you are running M+ or raids. WW is great in open world once you get decent gear 880+ I am currently around 920 as well and destroy everything. WW can in fact solo any of the elites but you must know how to use transcendance, karma, and your brew at the right times to heal cuz you are squishy. I found it is better to be squishy with a fast kill time than be unkillable but take forever to kill anything. I think MW is actually faster than BrM lol and MW is hella fun in pvp but unfortunately it is just yet another hard casting boring healer in pve thx to Legion redesign.
    You are playing your BrM wrong if this is not your perception only, but rather some dps/uptime/travel time/quest-mob-kill-counter-time averages. I much rather pull half the location as BrM and double KegSmash+ExplodingKeg everything than try the same as WW. Also stating "BrM is shit aoe" is ... actually l should possibly not even reply to this really. You are either trolling or have no idea how to play a BrM.

BrM is super slow kill time with shit aoe, only play this if you are running M+ or raids.
    So like 90% of the game? Seems fair.

WW is perfectly fine, as is BrM.
    Gear matters like all classes. If you perform shit, your gear is shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Caus View Post
    WW is perfectly fine, as is BrM.
    Gear matters like all classes. If you perform shit, your gear is shit.
    Not completely true, execution does matter as well. The guild I was in for Nighthold pugged another windwalker one night. He was the same ilvl as me, did 300k less than I did, and it pissed me off.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

You probably shouldn't give any advice at all. If you feel squishy, get lili stormstout as your follower. I've been trying to say it for a long time but it seems nobody want to take my advice haha.

Anyway, BrM has one of the best AoE dps when it comes to tank. May I know what's your tank legendaries ? Since you're 920 and seems to like WW more, I'd bet you don't have any but the neutral's ones.

I don't even have shoulders, and still I know BrM could be really good at aoe damage. I just don't know why you'd call it sh.t. Have you ever played the others tanks ?
    MW can deal a lot of damage aswell, but you'll spend more time healing yourself than doing damage. I'd rather play a BrM than a MW for rare elites, plus I have Lili to heal me. If I know the elite isn't hitting hard, I'd take WW.

WW is all in all fine IMO. I main a rogue and second main (if you will) a holy priest. I quit when MOP came out, came back to the game with Legion and now over a year later I finally rolled a Monk and love it. My dps is solid in raids as long as I don't have too much time off the boss and in M+ it's just a nuke fest every trash pack. Tanking is pretty simple, my guildies threw me into tanking a 10 and 12 (prior I'd only tanked a 5 and 8) and I didn't have any issues. I'm still working on figuring out how to play MW optimally as it's a tad different from the holy priest I've had since BC.

All in all though it's a fun class with options and easy to level and gear up with the Argus quests so you'll be able to find out pretty quickly if you like the play style or not

Deleted
    If you have no idea at all how a BrM works or have no clue at all how to play one, you should be the last one to be giving others advise about it really.
    BrM shit aoe.... i better hope you are trolling at this point, but with the way your profile is setup, you probably are.

I just leveled a monk and play WW; and BrM a little bit. I find both specs really fun to play (only 911 ilvl with 1 lego). My dps on WW seems middle of the pack and it's a fun spec to play. I feel like it's a bit gear dependent just like every other dps spec. I found from 890 to 910+ my dps sky-rocketed. I can imagine it's the same at 930+.

I hadn't played my WW Monk much. Just recently joined a new server with a friend and chose to level a Monk. The play style is fun and much more engaging IMO than many other specs because of how many different buttons and abilities you need to use in order to perform efficiently. There's a talent at level 90 that increases the amount of damage you do for every non repeated move so you essentially just combo your abilities and make sure you don't hit the same ability twice....it's really cool to play.

Damage wise, I've always found myself either topping the meters while leveling (which isn't saying much) or middle of the pack. Based on what others have been saying, my experience, and other online sources WW Monks and well played BrM are completely viable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do all my WQs and such as a BrM. With the Chest and Shoulder leggo, I can pretty much burst kill any WQ non boss instantly. Plus, since I'm in a PvP server, it makes me nigh ungankable.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama