Page 1 of 3
LastLast

EA to Acquire Titanfall Developer Respawn for Over $400 Million

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-23700-EA-to-Acquire-Titanfall-Developer-Respawn-for-Over-$400-Million.html

Includes all cash, equity and performance milestone payments.

According to Kotaku's sources, EA outbid the South Korean publisher Nexon, which currently publishes the Titanfall mobile game. EA had 30 days to match Nexon's offer which they ultimately did and the staff at Respawn were notified of the acquisition in a meeting earlier today.

Respawn was an independent studio based in Los Angeles until today but it looks as though everything that they're currently developing is still going ahead as planned such as the Star Wars action game, which EA had contracted Respawn to make earlier this year.

This news comes not too long after EA had decided to shut down Visceral Games with the publisher wanting to focus its future titles on a system similar to games like Destiny 2. What're your thoughts on EA's acquisition of the Titanfall developer?
    Well that's fucken derpressing, I hope whatever they release next strikes gold so they can live and make more games. Thanks to EA Titanfall 2 was sent out to die and that's a dam shame. The amount of support they have given Titanfall 2 for free since its release has been amazing. So also sadly I don't expect that with any other game they release going forward.

Such a dam shame.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Yet another victim is gobbled up by the corporate monstrosity...

*insert you made this? i made this meme* *insert EA killing a studio in 5 years meme*

Prepare for titanfail

That is the EA cycle...

They publish a game or 2 for you, usually partially sabotaging one of the releases to make the negotiations easier.

They then acquire you, turn you into a sequel plant pushing games out until they feel your light has faded and then close you down.

Lock IPs in a vault until one day some unsuspecting dev will be asked to make a new entry in the series.

who would sell themselves to EA? It's literally making a deal with devil. Is respawn stupid or were they legally forced to sell to EA?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this company is gona be dead soon.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    who would sell themselves to EA? It's literally making a deal with devil. Is respawn stupid or were they legally forced to sell to EA?
    When you signed a publisher deal with them, they blatantly sabotage the release of your 2nd game harming your companies worth it's pretty hard to say no to them offering you $500 mil.

EA continues to catch developers in that trap. The problem is that they sign publisher deals with them in the first place, after the deed is done the offer is pretty hard to not take because your company is not in the best place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    When you signed a publisher deal with them, they blatantly sabotage the release of your 2nd game harming your companies worth it's pretty hard to say no to them offering you $500 mil.

EA continues to catch developers in that trap. The problem is that they sign publisher deals with them in the first place, after the deed is done the offer is pretty hard to not take because your company is not in the best place.
    What idiot would allow EA to publish their game?

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    hopefully this will dissuade Devs from ever working with EA. Gonna suck for them unless they acknowledge what they've been doing and show the community that they can fix it. Which is unlikely. But hopefully these shutdowns are sending a message that EA is a PoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    Because games don't magically pay for themselves to be made.

10+ Year Old Account
    RIIIIPPP in pepperonis respawn

*sigh*

Another great development studio that will inevitably get shut down by EA. When will this madness end?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    *sigh*

Another great development studio that will inevitably get shut down by EA. When will this madness end?

When companies stop selling out? Blame EA all you want, but they aren't holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to sell.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess they're gonna need to respawn in a few years when ea shuts them down because tf3 doesn't sell 10 million units in its first hour.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Prepare for titanfail
    That's already what it is, because the games are highly mediocre.

Well they are so dead. They'll make one game then EA will murder them. Bad move
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

This is a sign that we are at stock market top.

Titanfall 2 sold poorly.