Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You call this a ''new law'' ?

Hammurabi code, -1750 BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I thought someone on here stated the point was to rehabilitate.
    For minor stuff, sure. For stuff like murder, no.

New law?

Eye for an eye predates any current established legal systems. Though in some cases, it's actually a suitable punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    For minor stuff, sure. For stuff like murder, no.
    Many people don’t get sent to Federal prisons for “minor stuff” my friend. That is where the misconception lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaboostme View Post
    For example: They tortured their victim by burning them alive.

Give it to them the exactly the same way.

Or if its something less serious than murder like: They threw boiling water on their victim multiple times.

Do the same back.

Too much?
    This is just Sharia law. It already exists. Move to the Middle East.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Many people don’t get sent to Federal prisons for “minor stuff” my friend. That is where the misconception lies.
    Half of the prisoners in the US are there for drugs. So...not so sure about your claim. Violent criminals are the minority at all levels of imprisonment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    In that case the laws across the whole planet need to become harsher, because in some countries the punishment for raping someone and emotionally scarring them for life is what? A few years behind in bars and nothing more. Too often the punishment for a crime and the severity of the crime don’t correlate.
    Yeah, I don't disagree. The punishment - especially for severe, violent crimes - needs to be much harsher in some cases. However, that doesn't change the fact that the purpose of punishment is not retribution; which is also why we don't have the victims choose the sentence.

You mean an old law... as in eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. Like old testament, real rules for mankind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Looking at it in a purely logical way, if someone breaks a law, and then the punishment is to do the exact same thing to them, this would mean that the punishers are also breaking the law. If the law is written in such a way that those who mete out punishment are exempt from said law when they are acting as the means of punishment, this creates a special class of hypocrisy.

I dunno, I think we have enough stupidly hypocritical people in positions of power. Let's not add more to the pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

nope its not the same it must be worse
    becuase criminals are not the same as innocent

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Yea but a blind man can't shoot up a school/cinema/concert/church
    Actually...those are perfect situations for a blind man to shoot a place up...target rich environment, Spray and pray style
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

It actually is an old law, which humans realised is savage, inhumane and very costly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

I can see it now. Some blind dude all strapped and suited up ready to cause some chaos slowly walking around feeling with his cane.
    Not all blind people are as helpless as you seem to think they are.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The only thing I think about blind men is that they can't see. Why do you all keep defending handicap people? Who is attacking them?
    Well...you did say this:

I can see it now. Some blind dude all strapped and suited up ready to cause some chaos slowly walking around feeling with his cane.
    I'm just informing you that isn't the case for many blind people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind.

Ever heard of Jesus and how you should turn the other cheek when slapped?
    I don't agree with eye for an eye, but not with always turning the other cheek either. If good guys always give up, evil will conquer the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    this law sounds like a fantastic idea. i'm 100% serious.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

No. We've evolved past that. Paying barbarism back with barbarism is just infantile.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    I don't agree with eye for an eye, but not with always turning the other cheek either. If good guys always give up, evil will conquer the world.
    Only nutcases are inherently evil. Winning hearts and minds will always be more effective than gunpowder and violence in the grand scheme of things. Not saying we shouldn't have a military for defense. Just that there's more effective ways to fight if you're given the choice.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VIII
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
    Punishment is essential, but 'eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind' means the punishment only encourages further retribution.

1. It's ineffective (more so than what we have now).
    2. It's cruel, we're above bringing ourselves down to their level.
    3. Not to mention that the legal system is nowhere near as blind as it acts like it is. The number of innocent people who are punished is unacceptable for the punishments we have now let alone some trial court bullshit you're suggesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's just run over the dickheads that keep on thinking its a good idea to get into trucks/vans and drive into crowded places.