10+ Year Old Account

Hard mode option while leveling that makes use of zone level scaling.

An idea for a seemingly easily implementable hard mode option popped up in my head earlier while reading the title of the "Expert Mode" for WoW thread. The mode would allow the player to up the virtual level of mobs while leveling by an amount of their choice. This would affect the amount of damage and HP a mob has to make leveling more challenging for those who want it.

Additional features could be to modify certain stats individually such as only increasing a mob's damage by X amount of levels while their HP stays the same, visa versa or a combination of the two.

It wouldn't even really be a mode, just an option in the interface that you could change and disable whenever you wanted.

I have no clue if this would be easy to implement at all, just assuming that if they can alter and have levels scale with you with you that they'd be to add +5 levels to mobs across the board that'll alter the damage and HP they have.

Isn't that what they're already kinda gonna do?

This is what happens when you start actually listening to the vocal minority btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    What do you get?
    you get fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Why the hell would you make leveling even more obnoxious??

Im honestly not against the idea to give the players the OPTION to do harder contents. Im always vocal for blizzard offering options. But i would imagine such a system, where you scale (kind of like diablo 3 system), would be a hefty amount of time consumed.

But at least, the current state is blizzard is gonna remove this "one shotting while leveling" thing. Im more curious how that works out.

I don't see a problem with just making the world more dangerous baseline. People who want that have been alienated in this regard long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    An idea for a seemingly easily implementable hard mode option popped up in my head earlier while reading the title of the "Expert Mode" for WoW thread. The mode would allow the player to up the virtual level of mobs while leveling by an amount of their choice. This would affect the amount of damage and HP a mob has to make leveling more challenging for those who want it.

Additional features could be to modify certain stats individually such as only increasing a mob's damage by X amount of levels while their HP stays the same, visa versa or a combination of the two.

It wouldn't even really be a mode, just an option in the interface that you could change and disable whenever you wanted.

I have no clue if this would be easy to implement at all, just assuming that if they can alter and have levels scale with you with you that they'd be to add +5 levels to mobs across the board that'll alter the damage and HP they have.
    This would actually work to Blizzards benefit as the only thing it would do is cause more people to pay for level boosting services.

I don't like how easy is leveling.
    in the past you need to read the quest, to know where to go. that was really hard because my English. XD but I like it realism.
    but now the game do everything for you. you only play to be the top, not like the past, for adventure and discovering new zones creatures etc...
    and most important the power of the ai before when you fight something you feel the realness
    now its like killing things while your eyes is closed.

26:19 way better than now leveling

I know it's not technically an answer to your post.

but just wait for vanilla, it's going to have way harder leveling than live :P

but honestly i don't mind that leveling is easy now, because it's not really "content" anymore. if you get what I'm saying.

wow has evolved into an endgame only game so to speak, where leveling is only an entry exam and a storytelling device basically.

back in vanilla it was time consuming, and hard because it was a whole new world and they wanted you to feel it's dangers and challenges.

but now, 13 years later and having done it over 20 times, it's no longer a part of the game I want to be challenging.

ofc when vanilla comes ill be the first there, but the live game has evolved beyond it.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-11-11 at 05:22 AM.

Yep, I've been thinking on this topic a lot. Add a "Heroic" mode when you create a character. If you choose your character to be Heroic, you cannot change that until you reach current max level (leveling a non-heroic character is a joke anyway, so you can just start from scratch if you give up. Or use boost). Heroic characters cannot be boosted. Heroic characters are in a shard where the world is much much much more dangerous. Pretty much Vanilla levels. You have to carefully pick your fights (you won't just barge in through the main gate of that Lakeshire castle where 3-4 mobs are guarding. You will pull one on the side and sneak into the castle while avoiding the other guards. Or you will take them down one by one). And if you want to take on more than 1-2 mobs, bring some friends. You can't solo elites and quest targets, bring friends or be smart.

What do you get for doing that? What do you get for playing WoW? (Aside from the fun) REWARDS! Now you get more of them. Well, let me elaborate. You know all those players who hate LFR and whine they feel forced to do it in order to get into Normal raids. Well, if you level 1-max level on Heroic mode, by the time you reach max level you have a full set of LFR-equivalent gear. So you can get right into Normal raids. So when expansion launches, you usually have 1-2 weeks to level your character to the new max level, then do dungeons/LFR to gear up for raids. Now you can spend that time leveling your character and when you finish, you will still be ready for raids but you had more fun than the guys who chain-runned the same dungeons you will be doing for 2 years and get to skip LFR completely. Why can't we have this?

Quote Originally Posted by Farrarie View Post
    snip[/video]
    yeh fighting mobs 4 levels above you has been difficult for most people, when glancing blows resists reduced damage crushing blows etc.

if you want to level like that, only level with ress sickness on now.

Do the Iron man challenge after they implemented level scaling.

I did suggest plenty of times ages ago to add a new feature based on them Iron Man challenges for levelling up, that would reward Achievements, cosmetics, vanity items and titles... where selecting the type of challenge, on character creation, will automatically apply restrictions and goals based on said challenge permanently on that character.

Blizzard can continue to add more challenges. Would have the added effect of giving life to the world, no?

Idea sadly fell on deaf ears.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-11-11 at 06:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Yeah, but what's the reward? How does anyone know you did it? Do you get an achievement? Is it just like taking all your gear off and leveling naked? Is it just a personal challenge for self-satisfaction?
    Yes, like literally any activity - it's fun that matters, if you don't get fun off your hobby - it's a shitty hobby

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Farrarie View Post
    That's what you get for using corruption without 5 points spent into it. Fucking shit ability and a noob-trap. Oh yeah, i thought he was level 6-7, because it's when you are supposed to kill these things
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-11-11 at 06:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yeh fighting mobs 4 levels above you has been difficult for most people, when glancing blows resists reduced damage crushing blows etc.

if you want to level like that, only level with ress sickness on now.
    XD yess indeed but not only that before you need to read the quest to know the location etc
    very releastic compare to now my best quest is in the barrens where you kill the blue lion

That wouldn't work in WoW. In WoW you can't avoid damage regardless of your skill. For example, I played Witcher 3 on the hardest difficulty an occasionally I would fight skull level enemies that could one shot me or get my health really for like 5 minutes or more and still kill them. In WoW the enemy will hit you hard, you will pop up some cooldowns and if you don't kill the fucker in like 20 seconds you are dead.

What works in WoW is to have enemies with deadly mechanics that you need to watch for, and those are pretty rare. The best example would be the Panda rares, those would fuck you up if you missed an interrupt.

I've done the Ironman challenge and believe me it's no fun to shot at a mob for 30 seconds, especially if he ignores the pet and range fucks you in big chunks. There's no fighting skill involved, just attention to surroundings to not pull more mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like this idea. Challenging leveling is good. I would also add exp rates like 0.5 or 0.75.