Page 1 of 3
LastLast

People who raided vanilla servers, how'd you set up groups/rotation for Four Horsemen

Just curious how people who ended up doing it on Elysium and such set up groups and movements with the benefit of time and understanding the game better. Six tanks? Eight tanks? Six groups? Something else?
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2017-11-11 at 06:57 AM.

You simply paid Crogge for full Tier 3 and then had him mod-command slay the Horsemen for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    here's a video of a recent kill that looked pretty clean

I've seen that, hard to tell the timings of when which groups are moving where though from a video.

On a side note, man they kill it fast compared to old vanilla kills. Old videos from 2006 are like 22-25 minute kills. Also, man their characters have a lot of HP compared to videos from 2006.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2017-11-11 at 06:50 AM.

Well considering like most people never even got to Naxx <1% of the overall community. You're only talking to Elysium players.

Nostralius was taken down before Naxx, Naxx was at the end of Vanilla, Nostralius was shut down days before AQ.

From listening to Kungen someone who killed KT (once), pretty certain groups of that time period did have eight tanks, two on each boss, as you had to switch out the stacks, but at the same time had to keep aggro on the bosses. The way the fight worked it was pretty impossible for tanks to just communicate in two tank groups, the tanks would rotate around the room, and they had to take turns doing this.

tanks 12, 34, 56, 78.
    stacks get too high: 2, 4, 6, 8 run to tanks 3, 5, 7, 1 respectively.

now the room looks like: 23, 45, 67, 18.

stacks get too high again, 1, 3, 5, 7 run.

so the room at this point could go back to 12, 34, 56, 78
    or 27, 45, 63, 81

Obviously better to maybe make a diagram of a quad and plot out where tanks should be travelling and at which times.
    the groups fell apart because without a diagram this is hard to communicate to healers and tanks.
    Last edited by JohnnyMccrum; 2017-11-11 at 09:14 AM.

Death and Taxes put part of their spreadsheet up in 2006, I was curious if they did it the same way.

Wrong. All wrong. 4H and Thaddius are why my guild fell apart. RIP.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Oh yeah? How so? What'd your guild try?

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    You simply paid Crogge for full Tier 3 and then had him mod-command slay the Horsemen for you.
    This actually made me laugh really hard Thanks for that
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    back in the days you needed 8 well geared tanks in order to tank them '' properly '' because of stacking debuffs on tanks. doing it with 4 tanks swapping doesn't work as intended because they do heavy aoe damage to all raid when they are close to each other and it is inevitable while tank swapping with only 4 tanks.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Killed in actual Vanilla, and JohnnyMccrum is basically right. Eight rotating tanks. If I remember right (it was a long time ago, I don't remember all the actual details, lol), what made it extra sucky was that it wasn't just eight tanks, for many guilds it was 8 WARRIOR tanks with 4pc t3, because without it the tank switching was absolute balls. I do remember that the fight itself was not bad/hard at all. Even the rotation strat was not a big deal. The only really hard part, and why it took so long for guilds to down them, was tank gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I loved Thaddius. He was one of my favorite bosses of all time. Loatheb killed my guild though. We we're only missing 4 bosses in Naxx. 4h, Loatheb, Saff, and KT.

People in 2017 just have addons that yell at people to move. Back in the day some guilds might have written custom addons to do this, or just written out macros in the order they wanted the swaps announced and hit them on a timer.

Quote Originally Posted by MMO-C Hands View Post
    I loved Thaddius. He was one of my favorite bosses of all time. Loatheb killed my guild though. We we're only missing 4 bosses in Naxx. 4h, Loatheb, Saff, and KT.
    Did we play in the same guild? What server were you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Did we play in the same guild? What server were you on?
    Reign of Darkness on Stormscale.

Okay but here's the question, how do you actually set the groups up and who needs to be where when? I actually couldn't find a guide for this googling it. I don't want to sit down and do the math my brain might implode.

Quote Originally Posted by fizyx View Post
    Killed in actual Vanilla, and JohnnyMccrum is basically right. Eight rotating tanks. If I remember right (it was a long time ago, I don't remember all the actual details, lol), what made it extra sucky was that it wasn't just eight tanks, for many guilds it was 8 WARRIOR tanks with 4pc t3, because without it the tank switching was absolute balls. I do remember that the fight itself was not bad/hard at all. Even the rotation strat was not a big deal. The only really hard part, and why it took so long for guilds to down them, was tank gearing.
    8 warrior tanks plus 4pc T3 PLUS the trinket from Zul Gurub giving you +spellhit in case you missed taunt (it was a spell back then). We actually rented tanks from other guilds back then.

However we tried Naxxramas every now and then in TBC with somewhat decent groups to get Ashbringer from 4h and some +frost resistance for Hydross. The health pool in early TBC wasn't that much higher than endgame Vanilla. I remember using half of my T3 throughout T4 content. And we managed to do 4h with 6 tanks regularly.

I would guess that with todays player min/maxing you could go for 6 tanks easily - so instead of switching in and out groups you basically run from one boss to another, allowing you to optimize uptime. Maybe even with 5 or 4 tanks if you burn the first two very hard. I remember a lot of our players not utilizing their gear nearly as good back then as today so it might be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Okay but here's the question, how do you actually set the groups up and who needs to be where when? I actually couldn't find a guide for this googling it. I don't want to sit down and do the math my brain might implode.
    So you want to kill a boss thats been dead over 10 years but you are too useless to work it out? Why don't you just pay some people to play your account for you? Its four horsemen, not rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    So you want to kill a boss thats been dead over 10 years but you are too useless to work it out? Why don't you just pay some people to play your account for you? Its four horsemen, not rocket science.
    Nice, why don't you go post the same in every thread ever asking how a boss is killed? There's about 20,000 of them in the raid and dungeon forums. And 99% of those bosses actually have tons of guide videos up.

We all rotate every 3 marks. 8 tanks, 2 on each boss. 4 for those in the back, 4 for those at the front. 4 tanks pick up one boss each and move it to its designated corner, while the other 4 tanks move to safe spot. The tanks will now rotate every 3 stacks so it essentially becomes a 4 tank rotation both in front and back, meaning that for example the first tank on Zeliek will get relieved at 3 stacks, move to safe spot, and wait for the new tank on Blaumeux to get 3 stacks, then go and taunt that boss, and then repeat the process back to Zeliek. All healers (except one or two who will stay at safe spot and heal people up) will be split up into four groups and start on one of the bosses each, and at each mark, a designated healer move clockwise around the room to the next boss. Half of the DPS start on Thane, some start on Mograine and rest start on safe spot. DPS rotate counter clockwise in a triangle betwen the two front bosses and the safe spot, so DPS that was on Thane now swap to Mograine and vice versa. Once the two front bosses are dead you just repeat the process for the two in the back, except only a few DPS at a time rotate because the bosses are actually more dangerous with more people in their proximity. Melee does not go to Zeliek at all. The safe spot doesn't change since the bosses will continue stacking marks even after death.

There are other ways to do it but this worked best for us. Each horseman has an ability that may or may not fuck up your rotation so you might need to improvise, not to mention the fun that is taunt resists.
    Last edited by Whiskra; 2017-11-13 at 02:19 AM.