Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    I have a few logistical concerns with the horde races you suggested like for example the sethrak being on the same faction as the vulpera AND the vrykul working with the horde after you know who tried to enslave eyir.
    Jk on the Sethrok. I don't really care for them that much.

But the Vrykul? Someone brought that up on a different thread and with Helya dead, Sylvanas could somehow get her power or resurrect King Ymiron to lead the Northrend Vrykul to the Horde while God-Queen Sigryn will aid the Alliance with the Stormheim Vrykul.

And no, it won't be a neutral race like the Pandarian nor their terrible way they join us. They would be two different races, with different starting areas. And Stormheim Vrykul can be Paladin while Northrend Vrykuls can be Death Knight at lvl 20.
    Last edited by The BrewCity Monk; 2018-03-23 at 01:03 AM.
    Allies Race Wishlist: ALLIANCE: Tuskarr and Vrykul HORDE: Gnoll and Mok'Nathal
    New Class Wishlist: Blademaster, Tinker, Necromancer, Bard

I'd love to see this updated more by having pics of stuff Male and Female Models, Skin Tones, Faces, Hair Styles, Body Markings, Horns, Racials and Ect. You know the usual customization stuff lol. There is this great thread by Traycor about High Elves as an Allied Race that could probably give you an idea of what I'm getting at. Here's hoping you can make this a super popular thread again

Deleted
    I don't think that Ogres should be an Allied race. They should be a full-fledged race, not something that was made for reskins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddi View Post
    I don't think that Ogres should be an Allied race. They should be a full-fledged race, not something that was made for reskins.
    allied races do not have to be reskins... although the player base wanted "sub-races", blizz thought "allied-races" sound more proper than the derogatory "sub-races". but an allied race by definition does not need to be constrained to "only races that resemble other current races in stature and heritage".

that being said, neither Ogres nor snake type races will ever be playable. not in wow, just not gonna happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddi View Post
    There is no point to "full-fledged races" anymore. The only difference is that a normal race doesn't get heritage armor, has a selection of mount recolors instead of just one, and has a 1-20 zone.

The Kul'Tirans show that they don't have to be reskins, as they use a completely new model/animation set. Blizzard has also said before that non-related races can become allied races, they don't need to be related to a current race. Allied races save time and money, which is why we are getting so many.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazindragon1737 View Post
    I'd love to see this updated more by having pics of stuff Male and Female Models, Skin Tones, Faces, Hair Styles, Body Markings, Horns, Racials and Ect. You know the usual customization stuff lol. There is this great thread by Traycor about High Elves as an Allied Race that could probably give you an idea of what I'm getting at. Here's hoping you can make this a super popular thread again
    A lot of the artwork in my thread was created by Jokubas. I bet if he could show a base Kul'Tiran reskinned to an ogre, that would look awesome. It seems almost a given that Blizzard has this in mind already.

Quote Originally Posted by The BrewCity Monk View Post
    As much this sound like a good idea, I would rather have Vrykuls over the Ogres for the Horde. The two heads thing won't work at all, the female model won't be appealing to anyone to be playable (yes I seen the Travlers crap and it's not helping their case), and the Kul'trian human model is not nowhere the same as the Ogers. Just because they're fat doesn't mean all other fat races can fit it, Ogres are way fatter then them and stubbier. Maybe they can share the Pandaren's skeletons.

I'm happy with Mag'har and Zandalari. The Horde need the Vrykul to give them another bad human-like race like the Undead. And since the Alliance have the Kul'Trian, the Vrykul would make a better ally with the Horde then the slow-moving Ogres.
    Ogres date back to WC1: Orcs and Humans. Vrykul are just some random viking themed race Blizz made up to go with the Northrend expo.

Wish people would stop obsessing over Vrykul... There are dozens of much more interesting options.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    that being said, neither Ogres nor snake type races will ever be playable. not in wow, just not gonna happen.
    Says some random guy on the internet.

Just put them in the game already? There is plenty of artwork and lore in the game for over a decade. It's the dev team that has to give the nod at this point.

bEdit: I threw together something with the current ogre since it's what I have on hand. It's at the end of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazindragon1737 View Post
    The ogre creator on my website is sort of that for male ogres, although it's a bit conservative because it was made long before Allied Races and getting tattoo options and stuff left and right. At the same time, one of the reasons I was able to do that is because key parts of it already exist. Ogres already have a basic model and a variety of skin colors, which makes it easier to build everything off of that (and the second face is just taken from the second head of two-headed ogres).

I've always wanted to do female ogres, but it's really beyond my level. Even if I take an existing model like the dire blood troll females, I have to paint over a lot, and I can only do so much of that before it looks terrible. The high elf stuff was a lot easier because high elves already exist in game, so it was just a matter of brainstorming ideas for them.

I'll see what I might be able to put together for at least the males though. I could maybe elaborate a bit further, and it's easier doing it in quick mock-up images than it is making sure new options work on the ogre creator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traycor View Post
    A lot of the artwork in my thread was created by Jokubas. I bet if he could show a base Kul'Tiran reskinned to an ogre, that would look awesome. It seems almost a given that Blizzard has this in mind already.
    Here's a quick comparison I made. There are some surprising similarities (they have a similar overall shape, stubble, and sunken eyes), but there are also some noticeable differences in proportion.

Faces

Right off the bat, I got burned out here. I took the base face, and the scarred face made for my website, but decided to cut the third face. Faces don't tend to really change the model, so I saved the single-eyed face for later. On that line, though, my mind was blanking on what to actually do in the little texture space I have.

Second Faces

I'd like to imagine that if ogres were playable, you could choose whether or not to have a second head, and you'd be able to customize that head separately (even hair and beard and such). Back in the day it was pretty unfeasible, but the character creator certainly has the room for adding the categories for it. It would still be a bit unprecedented, but am I mistaken in remembering that Blizzard expressed a desire to separate worgen customization from their human form and let you do them independently? In other words, I feel like it's something that might not be that crazy forever. I had a similar problem as last time with the face designs themselves, though.

Hairstyles

Maybe I should have waited longer, because I didn't have many ideas here either. I took my hairstyles from Ogri'la, which include a ponytail/topknot inspired by Cho'gall's and a more wild ponytail inspired by an old ogre artwork by Samwise. The last hairstyle was supposed to be a Klingon hairstyle just for fun, but it really didn't come out well.

Horns

The first two horn styles exist in game. The third horn style was inspired by that Samwise art again, but the Traveler series confirmed that ogres with two horns are still canonical. The final "horn" I did here was inspired by the "ogre lords" from Outland who were a lot more rocky and had more spines, and ogres with such growths appeared in artwork as recently as the second Chronicle.

Hair Colors

This is pretty standard, nothing special here.

Beards/Accessories

The beards are just supposed to cover a spectrum. The second one is based off that Samwise artwork again, the fifth one is from Cho'gall, and the sixth one is based on the king of Dire Maul in the Traveler. I realized that you can do other features than just beards, and you might want some accessory if you didn't want a beard, so I added the last two. They're kinda hard to make out, but the first is supposed to be earrings and the last one is a nose ring.

Skin Colors

These are all just from the game, except sort of the third one. I say sort of because it doesn't exist on this ogre model, but it existed on a special ogre enemy back in Cataclysm. I used that as a skin color on my ogre creator, and when I updated to the new model, in order to keep the ogre creator consistent, I tried to replicate the old skin as best as I could.

Tattoos

The first one is what ogres have in game. The second one takes some inspiration from that Samwise artwork, while incorporating the ogre symbol from the Kargath Lords of War (which kinda sorta is already on the existing tattoos). For the third one, I used the symbol of Goria in the center, and then just added random details. The fourth one is just a Horde symbol, like the original ogre models had. After that is the nautical tattoos that Chopper Redhook from Siege of Boralus has. The final option is a crossed scar pattern inspired by Cho'gall and his cultists.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2018-04-19 at 09:09 AM.

I'm a Alliance player and I suport Ogre for the Horde.
    Is lorewise (ogres are old members of the Horde), is high connected to the core of the Horde (well, at last the Honored Thrall's Horde) and horde players apear to be happy with it.
    Its enought to me.
    I think would be better as a normal race. But as another one talked here, allied races could be a good possibility to this implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Ogres date back to WC1: Orcs and Humans. Vrykul are just some random viking themed race Blizz made up to go with the Northrend expo.

Wish people would stop obsessing over Vrykul... There are dozens of much more interesting options.
    I always thought vrykul would make a better Alliance race, as a sort of counterpart to ogres since both races share a lot of similarities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    bEdit: I threw together something with the current ogre since it's what I have on hand. It's at the end of the post.

The ogre creator on my website is sort of that for male ogres, although it's a bit conservative because it was made long before Allied Races and getting tattoo options and stuff left and right. At the same time, one of the reasons I was able to do that is because key parts of it already exist. Ogres already have a basic model and a variety of skin colors, which makes it easier to build everything off of that (and the second face is just taken from the second head of two-headed ogres).

I've always wanted to do female ogres, but it's really beyond my level. Even if I take an existing model like the dire blood troll females, I have to paint over a lot, and I can only do so much of that before it looks terrible. The high elf stuff was a lot easier because high elves already exist in game, so it was just a matter of brainstorming ideas for them.

I'll see what I might be able to put together for at least the males though. I could maybe elaborate a bit further, and it's easier doing it in quick mock-up images than it is making sure new options work on the ogre creator.

Here's a quick comparison I made. There are some surprising similarities (they have a similar overall shape, stubble, and sunken eyes), but there are also some noticeable differences in proportion.

Faces

Right off the bat, I got burned out here. I took the base face, and the scarred face made for my website, but decided to cut the third face. Faces don't tend to really change the model, so I saved the single-eyed face for later. On that line, though, my mind was blanking on what to actually do in the little texture space I have.

Second Faces

I'd like to imagine that if ogres were playable, you could choose whether or not to have a second head, and you'd be able to customize that head separately (even hair and beard and such). Back in the day it was pretty unfeasible, but the character creator certainly has the room for adding the categories for it. It would still be a bit unprecedented, but am I mistaken in remembering that Blizzard expressed a desire to separate worgen customization from their human form and let you do them independently? In other words, I feel like it's something that might not be that crazy forever. I had a similar problem as last time with the face designs themselves, though.

Hairstyles

Maybe I should have waited longer, because I didn't have many ideas here either. I took my hairstyles from Ogri'la, which include a ponytail/topknot inspired by Cho'gall's and a more wild ponytail inspired by an old ogre artwork by Samwise. The last hairstyle was supposed to be a Klingon hairstyle just for fun, but it really didn't come out well.

Horns

The first two horn styles exist in game. The third horn style was inspired by that Samwise art again, but the Traveler series confirmed that ogres with two horns are still canonical. The final "horn" I did here was inspired by the "ogre lords" from Outland who were a lot more rocky and had more spines, and ogres with such growths appeared in artwork as recently as the second Chronicle.

Hair Colors

This is pretty standard, nothing special here.

Beards/Accessories

The beards are just supposed to cover a spectrum. The second one is based off that Samwise artwork again, the fifth one is from Cho'gall, and the sixth one is based on the king of Dire Maul in the Traveler. I realized that you can do other features than just beards, and you might want some accessory if you didn't want a beard, so I added the last two. They're kinda hard to make out, but the first is supposed to be earrings and the last one is a nose ring.

Skin Colors

These are all just from the game, except sort of the third one. I say sort of because it doesn't exist on this ogre model, but it existed on a special ogre enemy back in Cataclysm. I used that as a skin color on my ogre creator, and when I updated to the new model, in order to keep the ogre creator consistent, I tried to replicate the old skin as best as I could.

Tattoos

The first one is what ogres have in game. The second one takes some inspiration from that Samwise artwork, while incorporating the ogre symbol from the Kargath Lords of War (which kinda sorta is already on the existing tattoos). For the third one, I used the symbol of Goria in the center, and then just added random details. The fourth one is just a Horde symbol, like the original ogre models had. After that is the nautical tattoos that Chopper Redhook from Siege of Boralus has. The final option is a crossed scar pattern inspired by Cho'gall and his cultists.
    This is amazing man! I've always wanted to roleplay as an ogre blacksmith, maybe not a Gorian-level intelligent ogre, but a hardened, badass monster that swings a hammer and pounds metal.

Jokubas, those ogre concept are amazing. I'm all for it, been wanting playable ogres for a while now. I love your passion, great work.

Playable ogres when?

Now we're talking. Likely the head would be replaced with an actual ogre head. The biggest complication would be the legs, which are noticeably smaller. The arms you could get away with, but those legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    allied races do not have to be reskins... although the player base wanted "sub-races", blizz thought "allied-races" sound more proper than the derogatory "sub-races". but an allied race by definition does not need to be constrained to "only races that resemble other current races in stature and heritage".

agreed! the best examples of non re skinned coming soon playable races are the Kul'tiran humans.

15+ Year Old Account
    My carved orge idol could use an upgrade bring on the new models!

Quote Originally Posted by Traycor View Post
    Now we're talking. Likely the head would be replaced with an actual ogre head. The biggest complication would be the legs, which are noticeably smaller. The arms you could get away with, but those legs...
    I actually did that at first but... it didn't turn out so well. It was interesting to learn what I didn't have to change on the Kul Tiran face, though, like the stubble and the sunken eyes. I still had to do the lips and important things like that, but I just found that interesting. After seeing your post, though, I decided to try to do the ogre head again, making some tweaks to offset the problems from before. I mean, they've shown that reusing a skeleton does not mean having to imitate the model exactly, but it was fun to experiment with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    This is amazing man! I've always wanted to roleplay as an ogre blacksmith, maybe not a Gorian-level intelligent ogre, but a hardened, badass monster that swings a hammer and pounds metal.
    Thanks! I don't think my new options turned out so well, but having it laid out like this helps visualize it I think, even in a way that my ogre creator didn't. I never really thought about a blacksmith before, but that's cool. One of my primary inspirations has always been this:
    http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/viewer...rcraft&art=200
    I always felt he was legitimately intimidating. It may be from 2003, but most of it's still relevant, too. The arm tattoos still exist in game, and the Traveler novel confirmed that such hair and beards and extra horns are still canonical.

I really like how Warlords of Draenor started to give ogres a real history with the Gorian Empire and stuff, but every time I start to hear about their sorcerer-kings and stuff, I just kinda want to play a warrior again. Even the magic breakers I think are pretty cool, but I think I'd rather make a centurion like Tormmok (the trouble would be getting an armor set). I do appreciate them trying to improve their intelligence though. I don't need ogres to be smart to be playable, but sometimes I think they take it a bit too far. I don't just say that due to personal preference, but because of actual canon. Way back in the day, I used to quote the Warcraft III manual that stated that ogres were a lot smarter than people gave them credit for, but World of Warcraft really only had one or two NPCs (and Cho'gall) that fulfilled that. Then it was said the Gorian Empire would actually be smart, but outside the Lords of War, Tormmok, and Mar'gok (and Cho'gall again), all of the ogre NPCs in the world came across just as stupid as before, which I feel was just a missed opportunity.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2018-04-19 at 06:21 PM.

i've stopped at ogre being dk, because blizzard are so lazy to patch the new race to be dk.. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    It's basically a crime that Ogres aren't a playable Horde race by now.

I suspect that with the defeat of Azshara during the arc of BfA, we're going to be freeing up Naga. I'm of the opinion that a portion of Naga will seek redemption and reconciliation with NEs after her defeat and will be added as an Alliance allied race at the same time Ogres are added to the Horde. That way, both factions will get probably the oldest and most asked for player races at the same time.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

I actually did that at first but... it didn't turn out so well. It was interesting to learn what I didn't have to change on the Kul Tiran face, though, like the stubble and the sunken eyes. I still had to do the lips and important things like that, but I just found that interesting. After seeing your post, though, I decided to try to do the ogre head again, making some tweaks to offset the problems from before. I mean, they've shown that reusing a skeleton does not mean having to imitate the model exactly, but it was fun to experiment with this.
    I think maybe with the head scaled down, it fits with Ogre proportions better. It even makes the legs looks better. With big fat boots it might actually work. The heights are hard to judge because the human legs are bent.