Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Your tears are delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    You grind gear to grind gear. There are now simply more avenues to grind gear than before, but they're all just renamed types of the same content placed in different or the same locations.

I also have no idea what all your fucking acronyms mean.
    Shit Warframe is like WoW now. I never knew!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Not the best of comparisons. I've played on private servers and I would never pay a sub (I might donate pocket change sparsely). I would however pay 15 bucks a month to Blizzard for the exact same service. Do you want to know I'm actually paying for? Permanency.
    Highly anecdotal and doesn't actually mean anything at all in long term. But ok, I'll play this game.

When Blizzard launches their service - and takes paid for it - they have customers.
    And if you look at this forum, you'll see many threads that are prime examples of what their customers will demand.
    Dual classes, QoL changes, progressive servers. They basically want to play Wrath again.

And you know what Blizzard does when their customers whine endlessly? They cave in.
    Good bye permanency.

None of the pservers have to care about that because they don't have customers.

Wouldn't Blizzard need to track your IP to do that? Or admit to doing it on current WoW? I dunno, honestly it wasn't even something I ever thought about. I usually played around on them during spurts of official WoW.
    Like I said, chance is close to none, I was just a bit paranoid about it.

I don't think it's a waste at all, it's a win/win situation even if classic fails. So many ppl have wanted vanilla and constantly say how much better it is. If it fails then those ppl will finally shut up, and classic needs to stay as raw as possible b/c any changes can drastically change the experiences and the vanilla cult will blame classic failing b/c of those changes. If it does well, then that's more money for blizzard and could impact future changes to retail. There is a lot to learn from this experiment that will only benefit us in the future.

Deleted
    Wouldn't Blizzard need to track your IP to do that? Or admit to doing it on current WoW? I dunno, honestly it wasn't even something I ever thought about. I usually played around on them during spurts of official WoW.
    Warden could easily scan your system for modified pserver clients if it wanted to. But Blizzard doesn't care.
    They care about stopping pserver admins, because that infringes on their trademark. Blizzard is the only one who has right to provide World of Warcraft service.
    They're not after punishing the the players.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I'm surprised how bitter some people are about it.
    It is sad to see them reduce the amount of devs working on retail in order to keep a classic server going though.
    I mean, the new expantion pack they just revealed seemed to have about the same amount of features as a normal content patch.

if nothing else it might help inspire dev's of the current game to pick up on the few key elements that made vanilla fun, and try to reincorporate them into the existing game.

Not entirely a waste of time if we can get back to some of the original concepts.
    (personally hoping to see them work on server/shard community actually meaning something again, taking steps away from the anonymous que based game we have now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Instead of focusing on evolving the MMO genre by trying to improve WoW and maybe make a sequel, they're hiring grade A talent to work on code from over a decade ago for a game that was in a piss poor state compared to the systems it offers today just so it can serve as a fan service to a couple thousand people who can't admit that WoW hasn't changed at all in terms of gameplay since pre-BC, it's simply received tons more options to do the same things by reducing the pointless downtime and grind required for every single task, turning the game into a literal second job. Not to mention the improved graphics, phasing and other story telling elements. However, the core gameplay is 100% the same.

This is like bringing back Warcraft 1 multiplayer because a couple of retards think that selecting only 6 units at a time and very limited strategies are what the RTS genre is all about.

What a fucking waste. Just leave it open source for those aptly named "nostalrius" fags and put this quality and ambitious talent to pushing the MMO genre FORWARD not fucking backwards.

You make the assumption that Blizzard has been improving their game the past few xpacs, when in fact, it has been getting worse and worse since Wrath. It isn't even an MMO anymore, it is more like a single player lobby game at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyOcelot View Post
    Highly anecdotal and doesn't actually mean anything at all in long term. But ok, I'll play this game.

When Blizzard launches their service - and takes paid for it - they have customers.
    And if you look at this forum, you'll see many threads that are prime examples of what their customers will demand.
    Dual classes, QoL changes, progressive servers. They basically want to play Wrath again.

And you know what Blizzard does when their customers whine endlessly? They cave in.
    Good bye permanency.

I mean I knew you'd bring up anecdotes. What I'm pointing out with my anecdote, is that the comparison just doesn't hold as they function differently (private v. paid). Better comparison is an analysis legacy servers of other popular MMOs and transpose that to WoW.

Sure there is a risk (seen this one coming too, this why my posts are so long usually). There is a risk playing current WoW as well. There is a world of difference in investment risk between the: Illegal operation of a server that can be shutdown whenever, and: A juggernaut like Blizzard making alterations in which my investment is still preserved with possibly some alterations.

I mean MMOs in general are built on the concept of permanency.

Warden could easily scan your system for modified pserver clients if it wanted to. But Blizzard doesn't care.
    They care about stopping pserver admins, because that infringes on their trademark. Blizzard is the only one who has right to provide World of Warcraft service.
    They're not after punishing the the players.
    It's more likely that it's illegal. I don't know for sure. Also having it installed is not a guarantee of actually playing it. They'd have to prove that too.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2017-11-12 at 10:47 AM.

If nothing else I hope the return of classic teaches the developers that having a server community and identity is more important than clicking a button to do anything you want.

How many of them have a monthly subscription?
    This. People played Nost and those things because they were free. If people were complaining that WoD, with its slow release of new content, wasn't worth two quarters a day to access, how do you think they'll respond to a game that will NEVER have new content?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlaid View Post
    If nothing else I hope the return of classic teaches the developers that having a server community and identity is more important than clicking a button to do anything you want.
    I agree, but they can't really go back..The outcry for the removal of the quallity of life changes would just be too great.

Deleted
    It's more likely that it's illegal. I don't know for sure. Also having it installed is not a guarantee of actually playing it. They'd have to prove that too.
    What's illegal? Scanning your system and reporting back to mothership? That's not illegal. You gave your consent to it when you installed WoW.
    But yeah, they tend to ban people for running processes only. And I highly doubt they'd ever ban a pserver player. They're not after the players, like I said.

You seem upset over this.

Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    I agree, but they can't really go back..The outcry for the removal of the quallity of life changes would just be too great.
    If anything I would expect something like a slow ramping down of these systems or making it far more rewarding to group within your own server to create greater incentives. Similar to how they basically phased flying out of the game by giving it to people at the end of an expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    By all means, please stay away from Classic if you don't like it. It will only have a positive effect on the community and the game overall.
    But now the biggest part,
    is all about the image
    and not the art

Good bye permanency.

- Launch with no changes whatsoever
    - People whine, make changes
    - The vanilla fans leave
    - The guys left figure out that QOL was a terrible idea, leaves
    - Now no one plays anymore. Congratulations, you ruined classic wow for no reason.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

What's illegal? Scanning your system and reporting back to mothership? That's not illegal. You gave your consent to it when you installed WoW.
    But yeah, they tend to ban people for running processes only. And I highly doubt they'd ever ban a pserver player. They're not after the players, like I said.
    Scanning files not part of the actual official install? I mean every Vanilla client I installed was a completely separate installation with no access to Blizzard servers enabled. I'm not entirely savvy on this stuff, but that means it has to scan files not part of your current install and that seems...questionable at best.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    Legion and Bfa arent „pushing forward” kind of things. Adding diablo design to mmorpg isnt pushing forward.
    holy shit dude your sig is hilarious