Mounts "usable by a single character"

If we are going for any of the numerical mount achievements, would it make sense to boost a paladin and then power level tailoring and engineering?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    If it worked as it says on the achievement, That would be the most ideal yes.

Alas, all profession mounts count as total count for all chars and all class mounts (minus a few like priest/mage and one of the warlock mounts) also boost your count for whatever reason.

So I need an engineer and tailor and pally, but doesn't matter if they are same toon?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... I've crafted (and used) a couple profession mounts today, but my mount count hasn't changed?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    you need leather working, tailoring and engineering on any chars (theres 2 mounts from LW) for all the profession mounts and then a paladin with upto 7 class mounts

if you have a paladin/dk/warlock already you will probably need to log onto them for your mount count to change due to their class mounts also.

Some profession mounts do not require the profession to be learnt, but some do, and the latter WILL NOT count towards the total usable mounts if you do not have a profession on a character.

Engineering has 2 mounts that are only usable when you have engineering, Leatherworking has 2, Tailoring has 4. So you should get Tailoring and then Engi/LW on your paladin for best count.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Some profession mounts do not require the profession to be learnt, but some do, and the latter WILL NOT count towards the total usable mounts if you do not have a profession on a character.

Engineering has 2 mounts that are only usable when you have engineering, Leatherworking has 2, Tailoring has 4. So you should get Tailoring and then Engi/LW on your paladin for best count.
    This is incorrect, unless they changed something recently. There is a filter that allows you to hide unusable mounts on any given character, which covers class & profession mounts as well as opposite faction, but those that count count even if they are hidden.

As someone that worked their ass off for lord of the reins, here's my input:

1. All Profession Mounts count towards mount count on any toon. this means you can have a mage with tailoring, hunter with leatherworking, and a warrior with engineering, and all of those mounts will count towards usable mounts on your Paladin, even though he cannot use them. I dont know if you NEED to have a toon with that profession for them to count though, as i've never ditched a profession after learning their mount.
    2. Class mounts only count towards mount count on that specific class. This means that your best bet is to use a paladin to get the highest count possible. You have your lvl 40 and lvl 60 ground mounts, you have 1 from the argent tournament, and you have 4 from Legion. This means paladins have an additional 7 mounts.
    3. I do not know whether or not PVP mounts (the vicious saddle ones) work towards mount counts on characters that haven't earned them. Same with glad mounts. Wasn't a hardcore pvp person when I earned my achieve.

So to answer your question, you should level a paladin and unlock all the mounts that are paladin specific (7). You then need to have Leatherworking, Tailoring, and Engineering on any toon, and learn/make their respective profession-locked mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    This is incorrect, unless they changed something recently. There is a filter that allows you to hide unusable mounts on any given character, which covers class & profession mounts as well as opposite faction, but those that count count even if they are hidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylista6 View Post
    As someone that worked their ass off for lord of the reins, here's my input:

1. All Profession Mounts count towards mount count on any toon. this means you can have a mage with tailoring, hunter with leatherworking, and a warrior with engineering, and all of those mounts will count towards usable mounts on your Paladin, even though he cannot use them. I dont know if you NEED to have a toon with that profession for them to count though, as i've never ditched a profession after learning their mount.
    I just went and checked. I have a mage with tailoring and created 2 mounts on it. Both of these mounts are shown as unusuable on other characters. Based on that, I believe they do not count.

If they do, it's a bug.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2017-11-17 at 08:33 PM.

If you're saying all mounts count for the achieves even if you can't use it. You're wrong. For the 250 achieve, I had gotten to 248 mounts. Logged over to my paladin to do AH stuff, and the achieve triggered. I looked and it said I had 251. He has 2 mounts that my monk doesn't have (paladin mounts).
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Ok I stand corrected. I just checked it myself as I had a tailorer laying around untouched since Cata. Crafted a Magnificent Flying Carpet and it added +1 on my Paladin, even though the paladin cannot use it.

This is pretty illogical but yes it's true, so thanks for pointing that out to me. That means I have some easy mounts available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I just went and checked. I have a mage with tailoring and created 2 mounts on it. Both of these mounts are shown as unusuable on other characters. Based on that, I believe they do not count.

If they do, it's a bug.
    It's been like this since forever and it's not a bug. Those mounts are restricted by your profession skill. In theory, you could always switch profession back and forth to make those mounts either usable or unusable. Mechanically they are not much different that mounts which require you to be in water or AQ. Even if you can't use them, you still own them.

The mount tab is a bit messy, what it shows, what is usable/unusable and what counts for the achievement don't overlap very well, so here's a breakdown, as far as I know:

1. Mounts that are restricted, but ARE still considered account-wide:

- Profession mounts.
    - The vast majority of Legion class mounts.
    - The opposite faction Blizzcon 2017 mount (mirrored faction mounts, as a rule, only counted once even if the models were different, but these count as two separate mounts).

2. Mounts that ARE NOT account-wide:

- Basic class mounts for Paladin, Warlock, DK and DH.
    - A few of the Legion class mounts, which are probably bugged (mage for sure, I think priest and another one or two).

*Faction mounts: with few exceptions mentioned here, they only count for the achievement on the faction that can use them, in spite of the mount tab taking them in consideration for the overall total.

3. Mounts that do not automatically unlock a cross-faction equivalent:

- Basic - rare and epic - racial mounts (except the Panda ones, which are identical).
    - The Azerothian Choppers (Horde players go it from the promotion and it's no longer obtainable now, Alliance players can buy it for 100k gold).
    - Ashran rep mounts: due to a possible bug, they are not considered faction mounts, so you have to get them separately, but you CAN use both of them regardless of faction.

Edit: Mymori corrected me, the Tourney and PvP mounts do unlock the faction equivalents now. I'm not sure about the basic ones so I left them in, but they could have been changed as well. If anyone can confirm they are shared I'll remove them too.

4. Mounts that are hidden away by the the unusable toggle:

- Opposite faction mounts.
    - All the variations of the basic class mounts.
    - Legion class mounts.
    - Profession mounts.
    - Mounts that are only usable in a certain zone (but NOT general use underwater mounts) - these remain hidden even if you enter that zone.
    Last edited by Coconut; 2017-11-18 at 08:50 AM.

The Legion class mounts do count for the achievment on every char, so you get them all you get like 20 mounts (not sure how much of them are) for the achievment.

The old Pala/Lock/DK mounts didn't count, but I'm not sure if that changed.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    3. Mounts that do not automatically unlock a cross-faction equivalent:
    - Argent Tournament racial mounts (but NOT the Silver Covenant/Sunreavers flying mounts).
    I've always had them unlocked on both factions anyway but I think this was changed recently? or if you had the horde ones it made your alliance count higher. Not 100% sure.

Everything else aside, these achievements are so ridiculously arcane.

Everything should count. All toons, all profs, both factions. Just up the req. number as needed. I don't have a clue what my current count is, as there's no achievement past 300 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mymori View Post
    I've always had them unlocked on both factions anyway but I think this was changed recently? or if you had the horde ones it made your alliance count higher. Not 100% sure.
    You're right! I'll modify the post to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Everything else aside, these achievements are so ridiculously arcane.

Everything should count. All toons, all profs, both factions. Just up the req. number as needed. I don't have a clue what my current count is, as there's no achievement past 300 right now.
    You can check the number that would count for achievements under Statistics > Character > Gear.

If you are going to pay for a boost and spend the time leveling that other crap you might as well just buy the shop mounts.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kharum View Post
    The Legion class mounts do count for the achievment on every char, so you get them all you get like 20 mounts (not sure how much of them are) for the achievment.

The old Pala/Lock/DK mounts didn't count, but I'm not sure if that changed.
    I did not know this! Guess I need to get busy on a couple of alts.

You're right! I'll modify the post to reflect that.

You can check the number that would count for achievements under Statistics > Character > Gear.
    Thanks! 351 according to that count. Bring on the next achieve!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it might be time to just make it so EVERY mount counts towards ones achievement. So much simplier. Almost everyone will be happy except Blizzard (since they would have to make a new reward or two.)

In my experience the difficulty of the achievement isn't to the point where I'd boost entire characters and professions. That time would be better spent targeting big mount droppers like the netherwing and argussian reach factions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.