Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Crysis is ten years old today.

Think about it. This incredible looking game is 10 years old already.

AC1 is 10 years old as well, as both were released in November 13, 2007.

Just wanted to share with you guys. Time sure flies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I saw an article about this and am confused. Why does anyone care about Crysis? Didn't it, along with its sequel, receive lukewarm reception and have lackluster sales?
    I actually love Crysis - at least, some parts of it. The jungle setting against the north korean soldiers is freaking amazing, hunting them like you're the Predator, and just destroying stuff in general - It's fun to play around with the world in Crysis - But the moment that aliens are introduced, the game loses a lot of its charm. So it's like a 40% excellent game, and a 60% "medium to mediocre" game.

I saw an article about this and am confused. Why does anyone care about Crysis? Didn't it, along with its sequel, receive lukewarm reception and have lackluster sales?
    Benchmark game really impressive and really heavy for its time, or bugged and heavy, generally a benchmark game is always remembered.

I loved Crysis and the standalone expansion and really played it to death, it definitely doesn't hold up that well these days though if you actually install it and play it (as apposed to looking at a flattering screenshot), even if it's incredible for a 2007 game. I loved Crysis 3 too, these games have really good fleshed out single player campaigns and that is exactly what I like in a shooter.

It's a landmark title, not only was it years ahead of anything else graphically but it was also a very non-linear FPS shooter with destructible environments, somewhat unique at the time. These days we are used to open world shooters but before Farcry and then Crysis it wasn't really a thing, both Farcry and Crysis set landmarks for graphics and world design... They were incredible games that unfortunately needed high end systems to really play, I know so many people who wanted to play Crysis but couldn't due to their systems, "can it run Crysis" meme is a meme for a reason.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-11-13 at 02:44 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Because it's a meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/but-can-it-run-crysis

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Crysis was more than a meme, have some respect

But Crysis sold really well considering it was PC exclusive
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Crysis is basically a tech demo, the game itself was okay, nothing really outstanding in the gameplay but graphically it took a shit on everybody else, that's why it was so praised by a lot of people, it's a technological marvel.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember Crysis being hyped up as the next gen of games prior to it's release with how much IGN, Gamespot and The Escapist gushed about how the graphics were amazing and their forums were full of people marveling at it and kept saying future PC games graphics should be based around it. The only problem was when it actually released most people couldn't get that graphical quality unless they had up to date recent rigs and most were stuck at Medium to High as opposed to Ultra setting and the texture and detail had a huge drop off after you downgraded from Ultra. Couple that with an average story, decent gunplay and customisation, a definitely interesting power suit augmentation system and the game was received rather well but didn't really have that lasting an impression. I mean most people don't even remember that Crysis had Multiplayer before the second game. Then Warhead came out and was basically Crysis with a different main character that had a voice this time and cost the same amount as the original game but with less stuff and Crysis 2 just cocked it all up by messing up the power system, making the game environments very linear and having frankly terrible multiplayer.
    Last edited by Darknessvamp; 2017-11-13 at 08:37 PM.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Crysis was more than a meme, have some respect
    It would require me to be very generous to the game itself for it to be considered more than a meme.

The original Crysis was a lot of fun till you met the Ceph, after that its gotten super linear. The Warhead expansion was neat but to short. Gameplay wise it wasn't anything special but the graphics at the time were stunning, even today they hold up well when modded.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    I remember Crysis being hyped up as the next gen of games prior to it's release with how much IGN, Gamespot and The Escapist gushed about how the graphics were amazing and their forums were full of people marveling at it and kept saying future PC games graphics should be based around it. The only problem was when it actually released most people couldn't get that graphical quality unless they had up to date recent rigs and most were stuck at Medium to High as opposed to Ultra setting and the texture and detail had a huge drop off after you downgraded from Ultra. Couple that with an average story, decent gunplay and customisation, a definitely interesting power suit augmentation system and the game was received rather well but didn't really have that lasting an impression. I mean most people don't even remember that Crysis had Multiplayer before the second game. Then Warhead came out and was basically Crysis with a different main character that had a voice this time and cost the same amount as the original game but with less stuff and Crysis 2 just cocked it all up by messing up the power system, making the game environments very linear and having frankly terrible multiplayer.
    Warhead didn't cost as much as the original game, I bought Warhead before the original game and it cost me £20 new while Crysis was still selling for £30 despite being older, Warhead was the typical box price of an expansion game at the time, £20. The Warhead campaign is also comparable in length to any full price shooter these days so you could say it was good value for money, especially given that for gameplay value it offers a lot more than most modern single player campaigns.

By what basis do you use to say most people don't remember Crysis had mulitplayer, that seems to be something you've plucked out of thin air, of course Crysis multiplayer wasn't that popular, but then it existed in an age where single player campaigns sold FPS games, not multiplayer. As for Crysis not on Ultra, nobody played it on the highest settings when it was new (even the best possible system at the time would struggle) but the game looked fantastic on everything other than the lowest settings where it effectively downgraded to FarCry graphics. You say that Crysis didn't have a lasting impression, but here we are talking about it in 2017.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

And it only took until 2012-ish that we started getting games that looked as good and/or better.
    Also, fuck you time, why you gotta fly by so fast?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    And it only took until 2012-ish that we started getting games that looked as good and/or better.
    Also, fuck you time, why you gotta fly by so fast?
    Crysis still does a lot of things that makes current games avoid doing (mainly because it is not their focus, but still) - destructible scenarios, a lot of interactable stuff, real-time weapon customization, dynamic lightning, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Warhead didn't cost as much as the original game, I bought Warhead before the original game and it cost me £20 new while Crysis was still selling for £30 despite being older, Warhead was the typical box price of an expansion game at the time, £20. The Warhead campaign is also comparable in length to any full price shooter these days so you could say it was good value for money, especially given that for gameplay value it offers a lot more than most modern single player campaigns.

By what basis do you use to say most people don't remember Crysis had mulitplayer, that seems to be something you've plucked out of thin air, of course Crysis multiplayer wasn't that popular, but then it existed in an age where single player campaigns sold FPS games, not multiplayer. As for Crysis not on Ultra, nobody played it on the highest settings when it was new (even the best possible system at the time would struggle) but the game looked fantastic on everything other than the lowest settings where it effectively downgraded to FarCry graphics. You say that Crysis didn't have a lasting impression, but here we are talking about it in 2017.
    It was the same price as Crysis at release when I saw it in the store I bought the Original at which was why I didn't buy Warhead when it released but then the price did start getting gouged pretty quickly a couple of months after release as Warhead wasn't selling as well as the original. I'd say it was a little overpriced considering it was reusing a lot of the assets from Crysis, had significantly fewer single player levels then original and put a lot more emphasis on the mini multiplayer expansion it included that I've never seen anyone talk about on forums but I'll be honest that I don't remember the average cost of expansions back in those days. Apparently TES4: Shivering Isles expansion went for about $29.99 back in 2007 and considering that was like £15 back then and had a lot of original stuff added, I would say Warhead was definitely overpriced. Hmm I wouldn't say that as a blanket statement, it might be as long as a CoD game in this day and age but games like Wolfenstein and Battlefield One's single player campaign did last longer and granted they may not have had open environment levels like Warhead, they are still incredibly fun games. Now I never said Crysis: Warhead was a bad game in the series (that's reserved for Crysis 2) but it certainly wasn't that amazing or substantial of an addition to the series as it could have been.

Well that's just been in my experience to be honest but whenever I see conversations or threads about games with competitive multiplayer and as well specifically shooters I rarely see anyone mention Crysis's multiplayer mode. I don't really see that as a valid reason for why the first Crysis's multiplayer wasn't popular never mind isn't remembered considering CS (1.6 and Source) were thriving at the time in addition to Team Fortress 2 which released the same year in the Orange Box was super popular. I think it was more due to the fact that the matchmaking and lobby system for the multiplayer was really dodgy not to mention to really have fun with the control point and base assault game mode it required a dedicated server and a constant 50 people playing and considering about a year later only 20 people total were playing online kinda suggests why people don't really remember it and why they switched to small arena based multiplayer for the second Crysis. As I mentioned only higher end up to date rigs could play it on Ultra which was why many played it on Medium and High which still looked great sure but you could definitely see the downgrade from the highest setting not to mention the lower settings were plagued with pop ins whilst it was said to not happen on ultra which suggests the lower quality textures weren't as optimised. Except this isn't a general game or shooter discussion. The only reason we're talking about it is because someone posted a thread saying remember Crysis was a thing from 10 years ago and the first response is Why? that really shows it made a lasting impression aside from a meme rarely used in this day and age. I'm not saying Crysis was a bad game but frankly people forget it exists and really only know it for the fact it had ridiculously high requirements for it's highest graphics settings at the time. If you ask people if they remember the nationality of the soldiers you were fighting (Korean) or what the whole point of the game was (finding Space Aliens who freeze everything), most people don't remember unless you say or they google it.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity