Thread: Old player back

Deleted

Old player back

Hello fellow Monks. I'm a veteran wow player who just came back after a long long break.
    I would like to ask how monks doing atm(all 3 specs)
    I was playing Monk since MoP so I'm very familiar with them.
    I'm a casual player atm since I can't get into raiding guilds because I missed half of the expansion and limited game time(perhaps some mythics).
    And can someone show me some guides to 7.3 of talents and rotations perhaps ? It would be great to know what was changed over the time
    Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by DkWarrior View Post
    Hello fellow Monks. I'm a veteran wow player who just came back after a long long break.
    I would like to ask how monks doing atm(all 3 specs)
    I was playing Monk since MoP so I'm very familiar with them.
    I'm a casual player atm since I can't get into raiding guilds because I missed half of the expansion and limited game time(perhaps some mythics).
    And can someone show me some guides to 7.3 of talents and rotations perhaps ? It would be great to know what was changed over the time
    Thanks everyone
    Icyveins.

Brewmasters are good and fun but their next set seems trash.
    Mistweavers are fun but I don't know how good they are, I rarely play it but when I do I find it strong.
    Windwalker is lackluster, boring as fuck and the rotation is beyond terrible with gigantic downtime when all you have left to do are 2 annoyingly bland skills that don't do shit, also blizzard never seem to fix the issues and the upcoming set looks like puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    rotation is beyond terrible with gigantic downtime

Deleted
    Well i know icyveins, I just tought I'ts not that fresh or things have changed since my time :P
    I don't know but I like that new set. It looks monkish

Well i know icyveins, I just tought I'ts not that fresh or things have changed since my time :P
    I don't know but I like that new set. It looks monkish
    Icyveins is updated constantly, don't worry about it. It's a good source of information for learning the class.

Slightly more in depth http://peakofserenity.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    It's not so bad with T20, but the reduced cooldown on FoF is gone with T21, so it's back to doing tiger palm and blackout kick during 15 seconds straight, which is so boring it's like doing nothing at all.

Deleted
    I'm not intereted in t20-t21.

I would like to know how basicly the specs of the Monk how good, or tell me about the specs that feels better to play as a melee player.

I would like to know how basicly the specs of the Monk how good, or tell me about the specs that feels better to play as a melee player.
    WW is mediocre. MW is mediocre. BRM is fine.

Melee specs that are better: Arms, Subtlety, Unholy, Feral

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    WW is mediocre. MW is mediocre. BRM is fine.

Melee specs that are better: Arms, Subtlety, Unholy, Feral
    Statistically, late stage Tomb, MW is actually climbing up there in logs compared to other healers. T21 isn't terrible (even if the gear looks it).

So it's not a complete dumpster fire like the WW rotation. Which hilariously is actually regressing as a spec the further the expansion goes on.
    Mistweaver Tax noun 1. The effect of both high mana costs, and lack of utility, coupled with requiring specific talent combinations to compete with other healers, while still not being able to compete with toolkits said healers have baseline in any competitive area.

I don't think the OP is looking for high end raiding advice....

My monk is rather casual with only 920 item level but here's my experience:

Windwalker:
    I cut through Argus mobs like a hot knife through butter. It feels realy strong and you don't have to care about pulling too many mobs. I also feel strong in M+ and usualy finish first or second damagewise. Depending on the item level of the otther dps of course. Roll/Torpeedo, Transcendence, self heal, AOE stun, etc. are nice tools. Random PVP is also great fun and you have the potential to kill people in a stun. If you leave out set bonus(es?) I'd say WW is in great shape. A few little tweaks and it should be perfect.

Mistweaver:
    You can kill stuff as MW on Argus surprisingly well just lack a bit of AOE. Depending on the tank and how much damage he gets you are able to finish 2nd or third place in damage of a dungeon if you are kind of "aggressive". But you can also just relax in the back if you want. Healing in general feels strong. You don#t have that much tools like a resto shamen but is a lot more fun when there is nothing serious to heal. I only play MW in PVP occasionaly and I you don't get trained it feels strong and mobile as well.

Brewmaster:
    I only go BrM for timewalking and there it feels totally solid. There is no need to change from WW to BrM for WQ as WW is strong enough. I'm still a bit salty about the BrM Legion changes so it took a few months to (re)grow on me. I feel I take a little bit more constant damage as my Paladin but not squishy at all. I would rank Paladin first and BrM second as tanks. Also I met a few BrM in world PVP that totally destroyed me.

//

All in all I'd say monk is a totally underrated class that could take a little to grow on you. But once it did (as for me) it's one of the most fun classes currently.

PS: Don't listen to the ALL IS MEDICORE posters. They are probably just burned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raakel View Post

PS: Don't listen to the ALL IS MEDICORE posters. They are probably just burned out.
    They're just not basing their opinion solely on killing mobs in Argus, timewalking and world pvp (what is that?). Also mediocre doesn't mean it's bad, it means its mediocre.

That's ok but you guys simple judge everything on high end levels wheras the OP clearly stated that he's a casual player. So I gave an impression what a casual monk feels like. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raakel View Post
    That's ok but you guys simple judge everything on high end levels wheras the OP clearly stated that he's a casual player. So I gave an impression what a casual monk feels like. Simple as that.
    You're certainly right, but saying "don't listen to them, listen to me" is not the proper way either.

General thing is all classes can do casual stuff on pretty much the same level as others. You don't need to learn proper rotations or minmax your gear to clear low level m+, lfr or public quests. This is why most of the time when people ask how the class is doing they refer to raiding/higher m+.

But casual point of view is important as well, of course.

Keep in mind people may not have the same definition as "mediocre". From my point of view, what you mean is WW are garbage. Tbh they're not. Not only are they fun to play, but they also don't perform badly compared to the other specs. Unless doing 10% less DPS than say the best one means the apocalypse for you. May I know how many classes do you currently use ?
    My main is a dk, but I find it less fun than the monk. So I don't know about you, but if I wanted to play I'd certainly pick monk over any class.
    Because you know, when you play a paladin for example you'd feel bored pretty quickly. I mean, look @ their DPS rotation... Combo point, judgement, finishers that's it. Oh, don't forget all the buff before. Yep that's about it. I think... Maybe ? Whatever F this class.

I don't feel mediocre as MW either, in raid environnement. Yeah i'm lacking paladin/chaman "i win" buttons or drood utility but i can output serious hps and have survival tools and very good mobility than allow me to easily manage personal raid mecanics. As Myta stated hps wise monks currently are in a very viable spot.

WW Monk is fun. All classes are viable if you aren't doing mythic raiding.

If you do eventually raid, WW monk is near the middle in dps and will likely fall down as people gear up in Antorus. We scale horribly in comparison to the other classes. Nothing to worry about given we'll get another flat +7% damage buff 4 months from now anyway. We get stronger through buffs from Blizzard and not actual gear. :P lol!
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Height View Post
    WW Monk is fun. All classes are viable if you aren't doing mythic raiding.
    All classes (or rather specs) are viable even if you're a mythic raider. They're not viable only if you're in like top 50 guild in the world racing others. And even then there are exceptions.

...unless you're survival hunter, then you're fucked.