7.3.2 PvP: Serenity vs Whirling Dragon Punch

Hi All,

For WW monks in PvP as of most recent patch, I find myself debating going Whirling Dragon Punch over Serenity. To be clear, I play Serenity now, I realize most guides say to play it, and it certainly does feel like the stronger option. But then again, I've watched some glad level videos of WW monks and sometimes they play WDP... and I just want an excuse to do Bruce Lee uppercuts.

What I'm looking for is a *thoughtful* discussion weighing the options (Chi Orbit dead on arrival, not even worth talking about), here are my thoughts so far:

Serenity provides a decent damage boost (18% in pvp with artifact trait) and also allows you to do your burst rotation again very soon after it ends. But then again, StormEarthFire provides, I believe, a greater damage boost (45% for each spirit x3 = 35% increase assuming spirits don't bug out). So beyond the "chi is free and cd reduction", SEF seems to provide a bigger damage boost.

WDP, on the other hand, is basically a second Rising Sun Kick that you can use semi-frequently. It certainly boosts consistent damage, but what I'm really considering is if it's actually better during burst (Serenity => normal spam vs SEF => normal spam + WDP), and whether it's worth it even if not better in burst. Thoughts?

You use Serenity, they use Die by the Sword/Evasion/divine shield/virtually any cc. Your entire burst just went out the window. Serenity does do more damage but it's so much easier to counter because it only lasts for 8 seconds.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would argue that WDP is now seen as viable due to the recent change that makes TEB (level 50 honor talent) work with SEF. I know during Blizzcon, several WW Monks were using WDP instead of Serenity. That is not to say that Serenity was also being used during the tournament, but high level PvP players are using WDP.

So you're saying WDP works best if you also take TigerEyeBrew?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tiki854 View Post
    So you're saying WDP works best if you also take TigerEyeBrew?
    I would like to point out, that I don't PvP all that much but from what I am hearing from people who do pvp much more, yes.

Tournament play =/= Ladder play
    Its a completely different setting, and they arent using serenity since a single stormbolt or whatever tiny cc someone has, can completely lockdown the monks dmg, since monks do nothing outside of cds

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    I would like to point out, that I don't PvP all that much but from what I am hearing from people who do pvp much more, yes.
    It's arguably stronger as a combination.

However, the real reason for TEB to be taken is if you play with another class who can provide strong on demand stuns, since FoF is mostly used as a cc given how bonkers it is.

Serenity is good because it requires way less setup and allows for quicker swaps. WDP is more of a drawn-out fight choice.
    It comes down to comps (what you're playing, what you're facing) and preference.

In bgs I'd run Heavy handed + Serenity. In fact, I just do.