Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conry View Post
    The old icons may be low res, but they have so much more character then the new ones. Yeah, HQ icons would be nice, but why can't you just repaint the originals instead of shoving cropped in-game models as race icons?

Also, swapping goblins with blood elves makes no sense to me. If you want to reposition them in some reasonable way, just do it based on the in-game conflicts:
    Humans - Orcs
    Dwarfs - Trolls
    Night Elves - Tauren
    Draenei - Blood Elves
    Gnomes - Goblins
    Worgen - Undead
    I couldn't agree with you more... exactly!!!

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    The new digital painting intern needed something to do
    I mean, that literally may be it, and it's actually okay if so. Probably not an intern but a new junior artist quite likely. Gotta test them on something and no point throwing away solid work (even if it just appears to be paint-overs of screenshots).

I want to see the worgen one

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it a better representation of the models? Of course, these ARE the models. Is it a better representation of "race fantasy"? Definitely not. Just look at Night Elves, Gnomes and Undead, these are probably the worst offenders.
    You do have a point there, though I don't really agree re: Undead. The icons did need updating though.

Also here is my analysis of them:

Human went from >:C to -_- and also the hairline is going up
    Orcs got fat
    Dwarves got their hat stolen and are not impressed by this judging from their facial expression
    Undead closed their mouths
    Nightelves got less pissed off
    Tauren kinda looks the same
    Gnomes are less happy now going from : D to : )
    Trolls are happier, looking less pissed
    Draenei got serious af
    Goblins look kinda the same too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by megary View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more... exactly!!!
    It doesn't have that much character in them, don't overplay it.

Second Dwarves rarely have issues with the trolls except maybe their starting zone. Night Elves don't quarrel with the Tauren either.

Draenei Blood Elves might of been a thing in BC but not anymore.

Gnomes and Goblins yes makes sense. Worgen and Undead to but you might as well be facing Humans to.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

5+ Year Old Account
    This is a good change that should have happened in WoD, it shows more clearly how the races look like, this is an important thing in a game, clear information.

While I love the old ones (that happy gnome is nice =D) I understand and like the change, and when we know that Classic is official, we will can enjoy that old artstyle again there.

These type of changes were a thing very much discussed in the community of League of Legends, LoL Devs wrote articles about how they were streamlining the game around certain philosophies and concepts and I love some of that being applied into WoW. I higly recommend read about that, you can learn a lot about how do things well done in a game.

They could've made some full-body illustrations/made the whole tab entirely different, instead of changing just one thing about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The old icons may be low res, but they have so much more character then the new ones. Yeah, HQ icons would be nice, but why can't you just repaint the originals instead of shoving cropped in-game models as race icons?
    They probably want the icons to more accurately reflect the way the characters will look in-game, since it's part of the character creation process and all.

Also, swapping goblins with blood elves makes no sense to me.
    It's a bug, same thing happened when they were first added in Cataclysm. It's because Goblin has been in the ChrRaces database since Classic.

Goblin ID is 9, BloodElf ID is 10, Draenei is 11, Worgen is 22, Pandaren is 24. When arranging the layout for the character select screen they have to manually set 10 to come before 9 in the list or else they'll swap positions.

That looks terrible.

the new icons might look worse but think about the precious time they saved not having artists draw 6 new icons for the allied races now that they just have to take a modelviewer screenshot instead

Old is a million times better...

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    That looks terrible.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    Old is a million times better...
    Also true.

I don't think they are going to change it, especially considering the old one looks far better.
    World of Warcraft (Retail): Frostmourne - Alliance
    World of Warcraft (Classic): Remulos - Alliance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    I think a step in the right direction. Perhaps next they will update icons for spells and abilities.
    As I always say, it's friggin time they'd update hunter icons, most of them are 15+ years old recycled from Warcraft 3...
    Guess maybe in 10.0 if I'm lucky, because they don't care about hunters much.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    different painting. the original faces are taken from wallpapers so they are more realistic... new faces are from WoD simple new daily model characters that we see... why are they doing it...

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Blizz couldn't change the type of toilet paper they use in their employee bathrooms without a thread on MMO-C popping up talking about how the old type of TP was so much better.
    I mean when they started using 5 dollar bills instead of 1 dollar ones, it was kind of decadent.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    Personally I like the original icons.
    Well, it's no contest, honestly. The original icons are MUCH better.

You sure this isn't a prank?

If it isn't, I hope they have the time to make the icons better.

The new ones are ugly as shit. Nevermind the travesty of some like the Nelf male they completely and totally lack flair. Like a cheap Korean mmo.

Please revert this trash.

I really liked the old stylized pictures..these just look super mega close ups of shitty 3d models.

Hahaha, get fucked blood elves.