Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Same sex marriage public vote Yes majority in Australia

Just to clarify, it means the YES vote for same sex marriage has been moved by the people of Australia, just like it did with ireland, it hasn't actually happened yet in law, but this is the country saying they want the law changed, and the government needing to adhere to this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41992344

Australians have voted in favour of legalising same-sex marriage in a historic non-binding poll.
    The vote showed 61.6% of people favour allowing same-sex couples to wed, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said.
    More than 12.7 million people - about 79.5% of eligible voters - took part in the eight-week postal survey.
    PM Malcolm Turnbull said the "overwhelming" result meant his government would aim to change the law in parliament before Christmas.
    "[Australians] have spoken in their millions and they have voted overwhelmingly yes for marriage equality," he said after the result was announced.
    "They voted yes for fairness, yes for commitment, yes for love. And now it is up to us here in the parliament of Australia to get on with it."
    Supporters began celebrating the result in public spaces across Australia on Wednesday, waving rainbow flags and singing and dancing.
    Mr Turnbull, a same-sex marriage supporter, is facing debate within his government over what the parliamentary bill should include.
    Some conservative MPs are pushing for the the bill to include exemptions that would allow businesses opposed to same-sex marriage to refuse goods and services for weddings.
    #boycottchina

60% is anything but "overwhelming".

15+ Year Old Account
    I find it strange they even needed to VOTE to allow it, it should just be something they allow.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Ah I didn't see this thread. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    62%. It's pretty much as big a landslide as you can get in modern politics.

It's 10% more than Brexit got.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    I find it strange they even needed to VOTE to allow it, it should just be something they allow.
    Yes it was a political delaying tactic by our conservative government. And a gigantic waste of money. Yay fiscal conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

So, they had a vote, but the vote doesn't mean anything and they're just back to waiting for the same politicians who don't want it to make it legal?

Um, what? Why even have a vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    In politics,it is

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    So, they had a vote, but the vote doesn't mean anything and they're just back to waiting for the same politicians who don't want it to make it legal?

The conservatives planned it to fail, it was a thought bubble by the previous (now dumped) PM, Tony Abbott who once described himself as a soldier for god. It was a delaying tactic because the conservatives just didn't want to deal with it. Now they have to, but it's going to be fun watching them contort this into a win somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    The conservatives planned it to fail, it was a thought bubble by the previous (now dumped) PM, Tony Abbott who once described himself as a soldier for god. It was a delaying tactic because the conservatives just didn't want to deal with it. Now they have to, but it's going to be fun watching them contort this into a win somehow.
    Good thing the people of Australia aren't as backwards as Abbott was counting on then.

Cue the "but Jesus" crowd ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Cue the "but Jesus" crowd ....
    The funny thing is the 'no' side went all out with fear mongering. I didn't see one ad that actually spoke against gay marriage, every ad was about how if we allowed gay marriage religious freedoms would be removed, kids would be taught about gays etc. so they lost all those arguments as well as far as i'm concerned. Religious freedoms will be protected tho, because suddenly the government cares deeply about minorities, just so happens that minority would include them.

To put off having to pass the law that they've known for years was inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

And the biggots lost. Bet the cunts will cry babies and try to drrail it.

- - - Updated - - -

Good thing the people of Australia aren't as backwards as Abbott was counting on then.
    75% yes vote in Abbotts own electorate is funny though

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, people voted in a poll.

Wake me when they actually change the law.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

People should be able to marry other people, if consensual.

It's a shame we still have to make laws to allow that.

I do miss the good old gay marriage debates.

Never have I seen an opposing side that is so simple to beat in arguments. There are conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers, sure, but not nearly as many of them as those against gay marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicrusader View Post

So does that include polygamists, siblings, teachers and students and a whole range of other non-traditional forms of marriage which are being denied their rights?

Hopefully the people who back SSM will back them as well. Cause love is love, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I do miss the good old gay marriage debates.
    No sooner said than done:

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    So does that include polygamists, siblings, teachers and students and a whole range of other non-traditional forms of marriage which are being denied their rights?

Hopefully the people who back SSM will back them as well. Cause love is love, right?

Quote Originally Posted by toxicrusader View Post

Marriage is a legal status, kind of bizarre comment there.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Its cool, give it another few decades and the crappy older generations that are holding us back will be dead and forgotten, and then the human race can move forward hopefully.
    I think the exact same thing. The problem is, the crappy thinking older generation is able to reproduce their thoughts, so we might not take that for granted yet.

You mentioned polygamists. Do you even read the Bible (which I assume is where you took all this nonsense from)? All your heroes were polygamists. Surprise, surprise! You're trying to distort the main topic, and we both know it. But well, let's pretend we don't. Polygamists? As long as it's not an obligation from a freaking cult, I'm fine. They're all adults, right? Siblings? Not a fan of it, and that's not even good from a medical point of view. But tell that to those rednecks from the bible belt. Teacher and student? As long they are not under age, and it's their will, why not? Might not be seen as an ethicak thing, and teacher might be expelled from the institution the teaches, but rules are rules. And when you mention non-traditional forms of marriage, you're just beeing narrow minded. Live and let live, it's way more easier than it looks. For all I care, people can marry anime characters in Japan and while I think it's sad, it's not in my right to say they shouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Marriage is a legal status, kind of bizarre comment there.
    A legal status, which means it is applied to all citizens of a country, right? Gays still are citizens in most western countries, I believe.

What consenting adults do to get their rocks off is of less concern to me than the fate of the ants on my driveway. Siblings I could make a small exception for, we dont need a bunch of inbred babies, so if siblings or 1st cousins want to do it, they should have to be sterile.
    READ and be less Ignorant.