Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tier Sets in BfA, Developer Interviews, Hotfixes Nov 14, Blue Posts, Lineage 2

Season 12 Haedrig's Gift Build Suggestions

Year of the Mammoth World Championship Tickets Now On Sale + Last Call Players

Traditional Tier Set Bonuses Removed in Battle for Azeroth
    Gameinformer released an interview with Ion Hazzikostas today that stated raid sets with bonuses will be phased out for Battle for Azeroth.

• Raid set bonuses are being retired for BfA.
    • Gear will be more heavily themed to the place it comes from.
    • The team wants gear customization to be expressed through the Azerite system.
    • Tier sets lock down character slots and limit choices.
    • Tier has begun to feel more like a drawback with so many different sources to obtain gear today.
    • Options from these sets will be rolled into how the Azerite system works for more customization in enhancing spells and abilities.

Developer Interviews
    We're continuing to take a look at new information from the BlizzCon developer interviews. Method Interviews Steve Burke and Chris Robinson at Blizzcon 2017.

• Blizzard pays attention to what artifact appearances are the most popular and consider that in future art design.
    • World quests and scaling technology is changing how the team creates the world in game.
    • There are no plans currently to recreate Gadgetzan in WoW to match the Hearthstone version.
    • The team will look at revamping faction cities only if it makes sense for the story.
    • The hubs of BfA reflect the lessons learned from previous hubs.
    • Allied races will add depth to classes. They will be able to be hero classes if it fits the lore.
    • Class options for Allied Races are based on the fantasy of the class and not just which faction needs another race option for a specific class.
    • PVP Warfronts are being talked about, but not something that has been decided on yet.
    • Low lying fog is something that was planned for Legion but wasn’t implemented until 8.0
    • There will be visual updates as you progress your Heart of Azeroth.
    • The team wants the Heart of Azeroth to feel more like the excitement and progression of the initial launch leveling of the Artifact Weapon and not so much the infinite trait artifact power dump from later in the Legion.
    • It is possible for players to keep multiple gear pieces from the Heart of Azeroth slots to switch between for certain encounters in the game.
    • Murlocs are not currently planned as an Allied Race.
    • Allied Races have been completely remapped from their NPC versions to fall in line with current playable races.
    • There are no plans currently to separate ranged dps and melee dps in the group finder, but it is possible in the future.

Patch 7.3 Hotfixes - November 14
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Items
    • Players can now use the following toys in dungeons: Sandbox Tiger, Darkmoon Seesaw, Love Boat, and Fishing Chair.

Player vs Player

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Class Balance in Classic Servers
    I personally think its fair to have a discussion about classes/specs in Classic, considering class balancing as a philosophy didn't exist back then as it does now. The idea of a "hybrid tax" was obviously not very good in the grand scheme of overarching class design and it made some specs arguably not viable/unplayable. I'm not suggesting we make huge changes or even small changes at all for that matter, but that it is a worthwhile conversation to have. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

We've been reading and talking about Classic within the Community team almost every day. Before BlizzCon we were all so nervous and, really, amazed that this project was actually going to be announced at the show. But we do need to make sure things are kept in perspective - we don't want to jump onto too much of a hype/posting train, as its still all coming together and there's not much that is concrete.

I can guarantee you that the Classic team will be listening, and we will be forwarding as much along as we can. We know this project means a lot to a lot of players, and it means a lot to us too. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

L2R.gg - Lineage 2: Revolution News and Database
    Lineage 2: Revolution releases today and our friends at L2R.gg have created a site for it!

15+ Year Old Account
    So we're basically getting dungeon sets in raids now?
    Instead of having to design 12 different armor sets they now only need to design 4 (1 for each armor class).

Kind of sucks for the transmog mixing and matching.

RIP raiding as progression... all aboard the M+ train!

Seriously though, tier armor was one of the only things keeping people actively raiding. Now, you'll see the boss once, watch the end cinematic, then farm dungeons for the entire tier until you're geared higher than the Mythic raiders.

This is a terrible idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    'Blizzard pays attention to what artifact appearances are the most popular and consider that in future art design."

is a bad idea when.
    A. some people wear even shitty artifact apperances because they were hard to get, and have to show them off to feel better
    B. when you had to wear a hidden skin so you could unlock the other colors for completion rate.
    C. when you didnt want to use others because they were so over used.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why they wont change the raid size. They see that guilds are dying left and right. They should just go back to 10 and 20 man for mythic and leave normal and heroic flex.

Instead of having to design 12 different armor sets they now only need to design 4 (1 for each armor class).
    Huh? They said they're retiring raid set bonuses, they haven't said there wouldn't still be a unique "tier" appearance for each class.

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    So we're basically getting dungeon sets in raids now?

Kind of sucks for the transmog mixing and matching.
    90% of tier gear the past several expansions were just recolors of gear already in game.

I don't really care too much about the set bonuses, but if we don't visually get a "mage set" or a "warrior set" then I'll be upset.

The reason why tier sets were troublesome in Legion was because of titanforging and legendaries, the set bonuses didn't cause the issue themselves, I really hope titanforging is completely removed in the next xpac.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexorcist View Post
    Huh? They said they're retiring raid set bonuses, they haven't said there wouldn't still be a unique "tier" appearance for each class.
    Not too sure but it sort of sounds like it, we don't know how many different ones there will be though.

Gear will be more heavily themed to the place it comes from.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2017-11-15 at 03:02 AM.

Hmmm no tier bonuses doesn’t bother me as much as I would have thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I don't really care too much about the set bonuses, but not having a "mage set" or a "warrior set" visually is really awful. I don't like this at all.
    All it says is they are getting rid of tier BONUSES, not about class specific looks each tier.

"Lets tie ability bonuses to AP 2.0"

This is an awful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexorcist View Post
    they didnt say it out loud but if you dont realize it's going to happen anyway you may not know blizzard as well as you think

Let's be real - this is BLIZZARD we're talking about. With tier bonuses out the window - class tier appearances also probably out of the window as well because hey screw doing extra work.......

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit sad about tier set bonuses going away, but honestly I can see why. They are either very underwhelming and not something to worry about, or incredibly powerful and game changing to the point where you'll sacrifice upwards of 40-50 item levels to keep the bonus (I've done it).

What I am happy about is sets looking more like the places they come from. I mean honestly look at some of the sets from ToS and tell me they look anything like the gear that should be dropping from a legion infested titan ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by App View Post
    Let's be real - this is BLIZZARD we're talking about. With tier bonuses out the window - class tier appearances also probably out of the window as well because hey screw doing extra work.......
    Let's be real - this is MMOchampion community we're talking about. Without any idea what they are talking about - completely taking things out of context because hey screw it.

Quote Originally Posted by fattbeard View Post
    90% of tier gear the past several expansions were just recolors of gear already in game.
    Lolwat. The non-tier gear was recolors of tiers, not the other way around. For example a random drop cloth piece would be recolor of either mage, warlock or priest tier item (or matching belt etc. non tier piece). Or pvp set would be a recolor of a raid set (tradition started in TBC, came back in WOD - Legion). But each patch was bringing 12 different designs in Legion (11 in MOP - WOD, 10 in WOTLK - Cata, etc.).

Now they don't need to design 3 cloth sets, 4 leather sets etc. What people are worried about is they can design 1-2 sets of specific armor type and call it a day, because they don't need as many as there are classes.

Also I hope you guys like Trolls and loved the TOT sets, because another Troll raid is incoming with armors designed to match the place they drop in...

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I don't really care too much about the set bonuses, but if we don't visually get a "mage set" or a "warrior set" then I'll be upset.

The reason why tier sets were troublesome in Legion was because of titanforging and legendaries, the set bonuses didn't cause the issue themselves, I really hope titanforging is completely removed in the next xpac.

Not too sure but it sort of sounds like it, we don't know how many different ones there will be though.

Gear will be more heavily themed to the place it comes from.
    It's also possible it just means sets like how the Firelands tier were Firelands themed

So raiding is officially dead, mythic raiders were already complaining about the titanforge system and now without sets the top players are going to be mythic +

Quote Originally Posted by tkioz View Post
    I mean honestly look at some of the sets from ToS and tell me they look anything like the gear that should be dropping from a legion infested titan ruin.
    TOS sets were homage to t6 from TBC (reference to Illidan and Black Temple), uprezzed with extra details. Since the whole expansion is about finishing Illidan's storyline we get touches like remade t6 and Black Temple timewalking to relive the nostalgia. I don't think it was that bad of an idea overall.

I hope blizz realizes a lot of us are transmogging over and taking that in consideration, I don't even know what artifact skin i have toggled on half my characters. Probably a hidden skin that set it towards an unlock.

Anyway, I like the set idea a lot, as long as they still take their time and make nice-looking armour. I find I really dislike sets as a concept for bonuses, at least when there is only one set that's relevant each time (well, 95% of the time). People should be rejoicing if we're moving away from its rigid system.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormykitten View Post
    I hope blizz realizes a lot of us are transmogging over and taking that in consideration, I don't even know what artifact skin i have toggled on half my characters. Probably a hidden skin that set it towards an unlock.

Anyway, I like the set idea a lot, as long as they still take their time and make nice-looking armour. I find I really dislike sets as a concept for bonuses, at least when there is only one set that's relevant each time (well, 95% of the time). People should be rejoicing if we're moving away from its rigid system.
    So Raiding should basically become Transmog runs? Yeah ok.....