Poll: Funerals do you go to them?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account

Funerals do you go to them?

I have always been indifferent to the idea of going to funerals, in general I don't or won't go, I am lucky that I haven't had to go to many, but if I do, or the ones I have it's been for close family members.

If I don't know you, or they aren't a close personal friend or family, I won't go.

What about you, do you go to Funerals, if so what is your criteria for doing so?

Follow up, what is the most you would want for your own funeral, and what is the worst song to play at a funeral?

Casket above by the way $1.095.00 USD
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-11-17 at 08:10 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    For close friends and immediate family, absolutely. Recently flew back east to Buffalo, NY for my Uncle/Godfather's funeral. A bit pricey, but it's not something I would have felt comfortable missing. There's something about being around family and friends in such a situation that I find metaphysically charging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    For close friends and immediate family, absolutely. Recently flew back east to Buffalo, NY for my Uncle/Godfather's funeral. A bit pricey, but it's not something I would have felt comfortable missing. There's something about being around family and friends in such a situation that I find metaphysically charging.
    Yeah staring at a dead body of someone I was simply familiar with isn't worth that experience. If I didn't deeply love them or support those that did that went, no way in hell am I going.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a pretty emotional person. Funerals are really rough...but sometimes you do what you need to do. Your presence helps others grieve.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah staring at a dead body of someone I was simply familiar with isn't worth that experience. If I didn't deeply love them or support those that did that went, no way in hell am I going.
    Not a fan of "Viewings". I don't feel any kind of need to view the shell that was the person I cared about.

I am a big fan of being around all of the people that appreciated the person that passed away as a remembrance of what made that person special.

Again, this is most definitely only for close friends and immediate family.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I'm a pretty emotional person. Funerals are really rough...but sometimes you do what you need to do. Your presence helps others grieve.
    Nothing wrong with being emotional, imo. Especially in the case of a funeral.

10+ Year Old Account
    My personal view is that funerals are stupid but everyone else seems to agree that it's a sad but beautiful thing. So I usually participate when it's necessary, but I'd always rather be home playing video games. It's always "Big dumb memorial service" - "big dumb funeral" - "Big dumb wake".

I'm not just pulling this out of my ass to be edgy. I've had to deal with moms funeral when I was 11, and my dads' when I was 19. So I simply get to say this. Funerals are a huge waste of time and money that could be much better spent elsewhere, especially since it's not really of any use to anyone.

The service doesn't give me any closure since I'm not religious, the funeral isn't the closing of a chapter for me because the person in question has already died, so it's not like you can 'actually' say goodbye, and the wake is just a bunch of people in a room eating cake, drinking coffee, looking glum and making awkward conversation. I hate coffee and I can have all the cake I want at home. All of that usually costs thousands if not tens of thousands of euros or dollars. Why not just do a memorial party at your house, or a memorial night out for those who like doing that?

I've considered as my last wish to just have them play 30 minutes of Vuvuzela droning at my funeral, just to fuck with the ones who actually went there despite my explicit wished to just dump me in a hole without a coffin and ceremony and go party in my name or something.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2017-11-17 at 08:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Not a fan of "Viewings". I don't feel any kind of need to view the shell that was the person I cared about.

I am a big fan of being around all of the people that appreciated the person that passed away as a remembrance of what made that person special.

Again, this is most definitely only for close friends and immediate family.
    Yeah once got into an argument with a school mate about going to a class mates funeral. I didn't hate the guys or even dislike him the worst part was nearly a year afterwards he hung himself and committed suicide, I didn't go to the funeral.

I can get along with almost everybody, but getting along doesn't mean more than that. I also have relatives In Canada, and the U.S all over and I couldn't tell you their day to day lives. So yeah no funeral for them from me either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You go to a funeral to support friends or other family members who have just lost someone, not for the person who died.

And you also go to them because networking is good business. Plus people tend to let loose and tell every single hilarious thing they'd done with the deceased which combined with the akwardness of it all has led to some of the best laughs of my life.
    For business purposes, what the hell kind of business would you network at a funeral for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, if a business partner, client or other work acquaintance loses someone, I find about it and have the free time, I show up. It's good business to show up, people remember that and it counts.
    Gotcha haha well then go get them!

I thought you meant some random person you barely knew like a Funeral crasher LOL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh God that sounds awful . . .
    Well I wasn't trying to judge, but then again I didn't know your business so that is why I asked, in any event, I suppose everybody has to make a living. But yeah a funeral would have to be a tough sell.

The only one I've been to recently (technically a memorial) was for my mother; other than that I haven't been to one since my grandfather died several years ago.

what is the worst song to play at a funeral?
    I now have both "Stayin' Alive" and "I Will Survive" stuck in my head. So...probably one of those?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but only close family and friends. Mostly due to the fact of us as well celebrating them after they have been laid to rest. We go have some cake, coffee and beers.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    The only one I've been to recently (technically a memorial) was for my mother; other than that I haven't been to one since my grandfather died several years ago.

I now have both "Stayin' Alive" and "I Will Survive" stuck in my head. So...probably one of those?
    I had Young MC “Bust a Move.” Lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Never been to a funeral and won't go unless it's one of my parents.

Over the years I have noticed a different theme at funerals.

20 years ago they where a very solemn occasion.
    And do not get me wrong they still are, especially if the death of the person is young & sudden.

However, in today's modern funeral for an older person.
    The funeral is all about a "celebration" of that persons life.
    For example funerals nowadays can feature videos of the deceased in fun moments while alive.
    And friends & colleagues give eulogies sometimes, bringing up funny moments associated with the deceased.

Until a better one comes along that's what my body will burn to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Sure but only to people I really hate. Can't wait for half of my HS year to die, will be some of my best years!

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see the point in going to a funeral. The dead person doesnt know or even care if you show up. They dont care if you played their favorite song or recited their favorite poem or religious text. They dont know that you put their favorite outfit on them nor do they care about the little trinkets people drop in the casket.

This also brings to mind how outraged I am at people who write up an obituary to put in the paper or online and then attach a photo of the dead person from 50 years ago. It should be a law that a recent picture taken in the last 3 years be used. When you put a picture of an 89 year old person from when they were 27 in the obituary, nobody knows who they are because they dont look anything like they did when they died, so people who DO want to send condolences or attend the funeral my overlook the obituary thinking its just someone else with the same name as their friend

- - - Updated - - -

I have always been indifferent to the idea of going to funerals, in general I don't or won't go, I am lucky that I haven't had to go to many, but if I do, or the ones I have it's been for close family members.

If I don't know you, or they aren't a close personal friend or family, I won't go.

What about you, do you go to Funerals, if so what is your criteria for doing so?

Follow up, what is the most you would want for your own funeral, and what is the worst song to play at a funeral?

Casket above by the way $1.095.00 USD

When I die, I want to be in a clear Lucite casket so people can visit with me, and it shall be placed on a pedestal in the center of the room in a private mausoleum. I also want TVs mounted on the walls inside so people can come sit with me and watch football games or my favorite movies with me. It shall also be climate controlled so my guests can be cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and so my body will not break down due to water expanding and forming ice crystals causing my flesh to rip

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont see the point in going to a funeral. The dead person doesnt know or even care if you show up. They dont care if you played their favorite song or recited their favorite poem or religious text. They dont know that you put their favorite outfit on them nor do they care about the little trinkets people drop in the casket.

This also brings to mind how outraged I am at people who write up an obituary to put in the paper or online and then attach a photo of the dead person from 50 years ago. It should be a law that a recent picture taken in the last 3 years be used. When you put a picture of an 89 year old person from when they were 27 in the obituary, nobody knows who they are because they dont look anything like they did when they died, so people who DO want to send condolences or attend the funeral my overlook the obituary thinking its just someone else with the same name as their friend

- - - Updated - - -

When I die, I want to be in a clear Lucite casket so people can visit with me, and it shall be placed on a pedestal in the center of the room in a private mausoleum. I also want TVs mounted on the walls inside so people can come sit with me and watch football games or my favorite movies with me. It shall also be climate controlled so my guests can be cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and so my body will not break down due to water expanding and forming ice crystals causing my flesh to rip
    You are pretty amazing sometimes Orlong