Looking for a new monitor for gaming.

Topic pretty much says it all. Looking to pick up a second monitor for gaming, got a 1060 GTX 6GB card. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I switched to this one and love it

Dell Gaming S2716DG 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC

http://amzn.to/2iqHdy2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    I switched to this one and love it

Dell Gaming S2716DG 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC

http://amzn.to/2iqHdy2
    Absolute PoS - TN monitor for 500 bucks, umad bro?

If it was like $350 then it was worth consideration.

@OP - Budget, size, sync, resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    @OP - Budget, size, sync, resolution?
    Budget £700, 27 inch, 2560 res and "gaming" spec so 144 Hz and 1-4 ms response that kinda thing. Open to all suggestions.

There's modern tech in this day and age to sort through everything you want online.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...70%20600417886

Stay away from Gsync if you have 144hz anyways, it's additive to the cost and not much of a noticeable difference. I have only had problems with it. Cyber is soon so that budget will take you pretty far if you wanted. I haven't had a problem with Acer, AOC or Asus as monitors.

5+ Year Old Account
    If 1440p 144hz+ is what you're looking for, try this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PG278Q...dp/B01LWQGIUR/

I've heard a lot of good about it and it's on sale. Can't speak for 144hz as I don't have one but the 27" and 1440p res going up from 22" 1080p is night and day. I'd never go back to 1080p again after buying mine.

Bear in mind that a GTX 1060 will struggle at 1440p 144hz in most games. Wow will run fine, but not at max settings (I can't get stable 60fps always at max settings and I have a GTX 1080, can't imagine what it's like with a 1060 trying for 144fps)
    For the [enter opposing faction here]

Quote Originally Posted by Rurin View Post
    If 1440p 144hz+ is what you're looking for, try this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PG278Q...dp/B01LWQGIUR/

I've heard a lot of good about it and it's on sale. Can't speak for 144hz as I don't have one but the 27" and 1440p res going up from 22" 1080p is night and day. I'd never go back to 1080p again after buying mine.
    the 144hz is what allows more framerate, 1hz is 1 fps, so 144hz allows 144 FPS. You could get 144 fps in a game and never tell because you only have a 60hz monitor. I personally want high refresh rate over resolution. Just personal opinion though, everyone is different with preference.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    the 144hz is what allows more framerate, 1hz is 1 fps, so 144hz allows 144 FPS. You could get 144 fps in a game and never tell because you only have a 60hz monitor. I personally want high refresh rate over resolution. Just personal opinion though, everyone is different with preference.
    I know what herz stands for, I just said I can't say if it's really worth it because I don't own one. Never bothered to get one as it's just additional cost on top of everything (a lot of additional cost if you dont want to sacrifice graphical quality) and I don't even play that kind of games where it'd be an advantage anyway.

As long as global cooldowns exist there's no real need to go above 60fps in wow
    For the [enter opposing faction here]

Quote Originally Posted by Rurin View Post
    I know what herz stands for, I just said I can't say if it's really worth it because I don't own one. Never bothered to get one as it's just additional cost on top of everything (a lot of additional cost if you dont want to sacrifice graphical quality) and I don't even play that kind of games where it'd be an advantage anyway.

As long as global cooldowns exist there's no real need to go above 60fps in wow
    Yeah it's meant for fast paced games, FPS mostly I believe. I do like smoother in things but it doesn't help anything but to me it's visually satisfying in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stay away from Gsync if you have 144hz anyways, it's additive to the cost and not much of a noticeable difference. I have only had problems with it.
    Care to elaborate? I use ASUS PG279Q and I did not notice any sort of issues there.

@OP - you are well within range of premium IPS 1440p 144/165Hz Gsync monitors

Good suggestions off the bat are:

Asus PG279Q - one I use
    Acer XB271HU
    AOC AG271QG

All 3 above have similar specs and (I think) use the same IPS panel, so differences are basically the way they look, OSD and stand - pick one you like most and you will be ok.

For Asus one I use, I have it for several months - don't have complaints yet. Stand is very good, OSD is best I seen in any monitor so far, from what I seen it has no ghosting, gsync works properly and no problems overall. There is standard IPS glow, but you don't really see it in general.

Do take Gsync, if you are ready to shell out that much money, makes no sense to not take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Care to elaborate? I use ASUS PG279Q and I did not notice any sort of issues there.
    I have tried 2 monitors with Gsync. Whenever I enable it, the frames drop to horrendous levels but the game still says I'm getting stable high frame rate. I haven't had any issues after disabling it on both of them. I was using a GTX 980 when I tested them both individually. I decided 144hz and 120+ frames looked smooth enough not to worry about it too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tried 2 monitors with Gsync. Whenever I enable it, the frames drop to horrendous levels but the game still says I'm getting stable high frame rate. I haven't had any issues after disabling it on both of them. I was using a GTX 980 when I tested them both individually. I decided 144hz and 120+ frames looked smooth enough not to worry about it too much.
    You need to make sure monitor refresh rate is correctly detected in the game settings, I had this, in the end it was a specific title issue (WoW namely) where the game for some reason detected monitor refresh rate at 24Hz, so I did not realize that and the effect was what you said - game reports amazing refresh rate but it stutters hard. I changed the setting to proper refresh rate of 165Hz for me and no issues since.

Here are the settings:

Thanks guys, appreciate the input and the trouble shooting with G sync.

Probably an overspend but leaning towards the Asus, some of the features are hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate the input and the trouble shooting with G sync.

Probably an overspend but leaning towards the Asus, some of the features are hilarious.
    Honestly, as the owner of that Asus - that's all just fluff. It's a great monitor, but all the "features" are not terribly useful. The most useful by far is OSD not made by monkeys, which is surprising for a monitor (I swear monitor manufacturers have this secret "create shittiest OSD" competition since forever), but you need it like once per year.

But that's not worth the premium, IMO. As a monitor, it's very solid though, good choice.