Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Best spec for Antorus

Hi everyone, I was thinking of making a warlock for the next tier and was wondering if there was any consensus on what spec would be the best? I'm not too familiar with warlocks but I know affliction was the best spec this tier. Was wondering if the other 2 got buffed enough to be competitive.

Deleted
    Outsid eof mythic raids play what you want and like.

It's a given that you will probably get more performance out of something you actually like instead of playing a thing you hate because it's "the best".

All three have their strengths and weaknesses, which will affect how they do given the nature of the fight.

Mostly for heroic/mythic raiding. I don't think it will be viable to try out all three specs with so little time left so I was just going for what would be the strongest going in and change if it is awful.

As of now, apart from the new tier, there are 0 class changes planned for warlock yet so it will be much the same as now.

Overall Affy is still the strongest and most versatile spec in my opinion. It has insane spread cleave, it's relatively easy to play, excellent for dungeons, can be very mobile with certain talents and its self healing and execute can be amazing on progress. However, its single target damage is on the weaker side so ideally you would play Demo to cover that base.

I do believe Affy will receive another needed DoT nerf (hopefully not too large) but time will tell on this. I hope Destro gets some needed love as it does not scale nearly as well as the other two specs though the new raid looks a little more suited to it this time. Demo is in a good place damage wise in my opinion but it does have more ramp up and is weaker at target switching which holds it back if you want to contribute much more than pure boss damage or to zoom up beyond stacked cleave.

Anyhow check out the logs though of course there's always going to be fights where multidotters excel/can pad to extremes over other specs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/13/

Ultimately though find the spec that suits you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramellan View Post
    Mostly for heroic/mythic raiding. I don't think it will be viable to try out all three specs with so little time left so I was just going for what would be the strongest going in and change if it is awful.
    You'll have a hard time mythic raiding Antorus with a new class will you not? Unless you guild is willing to gear you up very quickly via Antorus normal/heroic, which still won;t be optimal as you will require decent legendaries and so on.

Don;t see why they'd nerf Affy's dot damage. It is clearly intended ot excel at multidot and be average at single target, and that's where we are,whereas other classes are designed to be opposite, and that's where they are.

We went into Sargeras with statements that the devs were effectively removing the "player not class" philosophy, and that there'd be fights where classes either shone or did not - that's what they mean when they say "we want a situation where a raid feels it wouldbe beneficial to have class xxx" and "we want players to feel that in this fight they will shine, but in another, not so much". And my suspiscion is that this acknowledges thatit is impossible to achieve class balance across all fights, so they might as well engineer a situation that removes the expectation of it happening. They could not have all classes exactly even on all fights where the only variable is player skill. So they might as well establish it as a deliberate policy and advertise it as a benefit. The only problem is that players tend to focus much more on fights they are 'average' at and claim they 'suck', than they do on fights where they excel and make someone else feel they suck lol

Unless they want to open the whole Malefic Grasp can of worms again, they cannot nerf aff dot damage with hurting single target and aff does not excel at that. Particularly in lowe rlevel content, where the ramp penalty kicks you quite hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Affliction will probably get a small slap on the wrist and Destruction/Demo will be unchanged.

Affliction is a master of dealing irrelevant damage, so it basically appears better than it really is. Blizzard will likely make sure it does not invade into Destruction strengths too much and that's about it.

Affliction, because it is the least affected by movement and Blizz still loads bosses with forced movement.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

Destruction will remain the useless black sheep.

Deleted
    Just play what you enjoy the most. I love how people always say affliction best spec, but in reality they have green and gray logs LUL

Quote Originally Posted by Noodlebolt View Post
    Just play what you enjoy the most. I love how people always say affliction best spec, but in reality they have green and gray logs LUL
    Can't deny I have had quite a few over the years.

If you feel another spec is better overall show some statistics and/or say why it is. Affy has a lot of positive and few negatives in raids, dungeons and for the open world but perhaps I have missed something.

I hope that all 3 specs will have a use in the new raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikeyshadow View Post
    Can't deny I have had quite a few over the years.

If you feel another spec is better overall show some statistics and/or say why it is. Affy has a lot of positive and few negatives in raids, dungeons and for the open world but perhaps I have missed something.

I hope that all 3 specs will have a use in the new raid.
    I would say any spec is perfectly viable if you play it well unless you are in a top 50 guild. Of course sometimes a spec is MUCH better on a fight than the other specs. A good example in anthorus will be Coven of Shivarra fight on mythic because it's a 3 target council fight and affliction will destroy that one for sure.

that just means having green and gray logs as aff still beats their respective demo/destruction dps.

so regardless how bad the player is, it doesn't disqualify their ability to judge if a spec is good or not. especially not in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say any spec is perfectly viable if you play it well unless you are in a top 50 guild. Of course sometimes a spec is MUCH better on a fight than the other specs. A good example in anthorus will be Coven of Shivarra fight on mythic because it's a 3 target council fight and affliction will destroy that one for sure.
    i am so tired of this bullshit that people always say " play what you like or play what you enjoy the most". because for some people out there, dps fuels passion rather than passion fuels dps and only seeing myself topping the meters gives me the motivation to continue playing.
    Last edited by Realmerc; 2017-11-20 at 08:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realmerc View Post
    i am so tired of this bullshit that people always say " play what you like or play what you enjoy the most". because for some people out there, dps fuels passion rather than passion fuels dps and only seeing myself topping the meters gives me the motivation to continue playing.
    Yes, we just kicked one warlock from our guild because seeing himself topping the meters was his only priority in raids and that cost us several raiding nights this tier just because of all the bullshit wipes because things that are not supposed to die - die and those which are supposed to die - don't.

I never claimed any spec is unviable but I still hold by what I said and believe currently Affy is still our most versatile and strongest spec in and out of raids. So for someone who is going to only play one spec then flexibility seems pretty important to me as I get the impression there is quite a mix of bosses coming up (I've only really looked at 8ish briefly so far though). Of course if the person said they loved Destro and/or wanted to play the highest ST spec I would encourage that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yes, we just kicked one warlock from our guild because seeing himself topping the meters was his only priority in raids and that cost us several raiding nights this tier just because of all the bullshit wipes because things that are not supposed to die - die and those which are supposed to die - don't.
    Maximizing DPS as Affliction means that "high prio" targets are handled by other specs.
    We shouldn't expect every spec to be good/decent at every aspect - this is a flaw that needs to be fixed.
    I want it to be fixed by the developers, and not just kicking people from raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    Maximizing DPS as Affliction means that "high prio" targets are handled by other specs.
    We shouldn't expect every spec to be good/decent at every aspect - this is a flaw that needs to be fixed.
    I want it to be fixed by the developers, and not just kicking people from raids.
    A cold hard fact for mythic progress is that you'll simply not always be able to do your maximum amount of damage for the reasons Gaidax listed and more. This isn't necessarily a problem in design alone, but also player mentality. It could be changed to all specs being able to do equal priority damage as others, but that'd be a whole new level of homogenization. Obviously there are exceptions; Demo seriously needs some help for example.

Padding will always exist; it's in the nature of non-patchwerk boss encounters. And that really is a player-made problem. When progressing, just focus on what needs to be done and turn off the meters. Wreck meters and get high parses during farm because let's be honest, at that point who cares anymore (obviously there are people that do, but I hope you get the point).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Realmerc View Post
    that just means having green and gray logs as aff still beats their respective demo/destruction dps.

so regardless how bad the player is, it doesn't disqualify their ability to judge if a spec is good or not. especially not in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

This made me laugh hard

Deleted
    I just hope that they somehow buff destros havoc cleave because it took a huge hit with 7.2.5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    First of all the person in question was not kicked due to being Aff, we have another Aff warlock which is raiding just fine - it was attitude issue where parsing during progress was more important than progress for the said person and defined his talent choices and gameplay during encounter (picking AoE-oriented talents for encounters like Mistress, touching targets that should not be touched like Priestess at Desolate Host, not stopping DPS at KJ when asked to and so on and so forth).

But other than that - people here are blinded by overall damage done, when in reality you will wipe much more due to shit like adds not killed in time or some specific DPS check at specific moment, while overall damage done is usually not a problem, unless you are gunning for world 1-50th, where enrage is a thing.

[QUOTE=Realmerc;48095010]that just means having green and gray logs as aff still beats their respective demo/destruction dps.

- - - Updated - - -

Some specs are harder to play perfectly than others. Which means that for some players, they can have grey log with a spec and blue log with another spec. That's why we can say that their perspective is worthless.

Now talking about which spec, you should play what you like according to what you like. single target=Demo, 2targets=Destruction, 3+ and cleave = affliction. The difference in single target damage is not huge. Affliction has a big edge due to its healing and absorption effect, you can do much more errors without dying. Seed of corruption in mythic+ makes afflic the best sustain AOE (with ele shaman). They all look cool. Demonic Empowerment is extremely annoying so I wouldnt play demo even if it was meta.