Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I think a straight tank spec for hunters is a bad idea. I think maybe it would be cool if BM hunters could use tenacity pets to maybe off tank, while ferocity per users could still spec into dps. Removing an entire dps spec to sub in a tank would just anger most hunters(myself included.) dont ruin my SV spec even further. All that being said, i think it is an interesting tank idea, for a BM hunter with a tenacity pet.

Thats sounds like something i've been wishing for a long long time, honestly when they announced survival as a melee in Legion i secretly hoped it will be tanking spec

Deleted
    The only way I could see a Hunter tank spec is if they finally came to their senses and made Beastmaster a Rexxar style Melee Spec. The mitigation could come from maybe sharing HP pool with the pets or something like that.

SV is not suited as a brute force melee spec. It just does not make sense, survival is just all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    If Survival going melee was so controversial, what the hell makes you think Survival going tank will be any better?
    Being able to play multiple roles makes it easier to find groups and makes you more useful to your raid team. Yet to see a raid team that was short of melee DPS since WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post

role changes do not work.
    I remember when frost DK was the intended tank spec, blood made much more sense. Same thing goes for survival

Quote Originally Posted by Slyme View Post
    I remember when frost DK was the intended tank spec, blood made much more sense. Same thing goes for survival
    What? Originally, all three DK speccs were tank/dps hybrids (in theory). When WotLK ended and Cataclysm released, however, Blood became the defacto tank specc.

Anyways, this is a fun fan idea or whatever but one glaring issue I can find in your design is that you want Mastery to increase health. That's a little weird because Stamina already does that (making the Mastery effect redundant) and making their Mastery directly increase health is a bit weird and would likely be very, very difficult to try balancing.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2017-12-18 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post

What? Originally, all three DK speccs were tank/dps hybrids (in theory). When WotLK ended and Cataclysm released, however, Blood became the defacto tank specc.
    Yes i know, i said intended, as in, Blizzard intended frost to be the tanking spec.

Yes i know, i said intended, as in, Blizzard intended frost to be the tanking spec.
    Got a source on that one, big boi?

Anyways, this is a fun fan idea or whatever but one glaring issue I can find in your design is that you want Mastery to increase health. That's a little weird because Stamina already does that (making the Mastery effect redundant) and making their Mastery directly increase health is a bit weird and would likely be very, very difficult to try balancing.
    Mastery already does increase Health for Guardian Druid, so it's actually not too weird.

Quote Originally Posted by andreasels View Post
    Mastery already does increase Health for Guardian Druid, so it's actually not too weird.
    It also increases healing received and attack power, and it's an incredibly wonky mastery that they've had nothing but trouble with balancing. It barely works for Druids, so I can't imagine it working very well for Hunter.

Mastery increases health for Guardian druids. Not really any problems with balancing it either, it's been part of their mastery for like 3 expansions.

Not really. All three specializations were intended to be able to both tank and dps at start. That was what made DK so much different and interesting than other classes.

From tanking point of view: At start frost was only viable spec because it had all of those armor buffs and things that made it close to other tanking classes. As we progressed through expansion and got better gear unholy and blood became very good. Unholy had great utility and magic defenses but it got nerfed pretty bad. Frost had issues with scaling and I think it was in ICC when blood started to shine with all self healing and pulling way ahead of other DK specs. (Not to say that it was bad before it).

EDIT:
    There was also blue post or some official response to question about this. And they said it was intended to be hybrid class at beginning. I am trying to find this with google so I can post but no luck so far.
    Last edited by Zenislav; 2017-12-23 at 02:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only answer you will get and that you deserve is No as there is no logic behind a hunter being able to tank, keep it at the current 6 available.

Hunter is a pure dps class and lets keep it at that otherwise we might aswell give rogue mages and locks a tank or heal spec just to make searching for "roles" easier.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2017-12-23 at 02:10 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog