Thread: American Food

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

American Food

So, just to bring some levity to the forum, I was wondering what some of you European folks have to say about the American Food you've consumed (if any), and what Americans have thought about European food. What do you like, what do you think is gross, etc.

Personally, I love how in German Airports, you can buy pre-mixed cans of Jack and coke.

I found it really strange that in florida "spicy" meant smothered in vinegar.

I had the best shrimp I have ever tasted from some asian guy in a mall. It annoys me that it took him like 30 seconds to cook it on a hot plate. Actually I think it was a paella.

General Tso's is like my most favourite thing ever.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post

I had the best shrimp I have ever tasted from some asian guy in a mall. It annoys me that it took him like 30 seconds to cook it on a hot plate. Actually I think it was a paella.

General Tso's is like my most favourite thing ever.
    Mmmmmm, do love me some General Tso's

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Strange, I've been in FL for 8 years and have never ran into this, usually it's like 2 tbsp of Everglades seasoning on everything to add spice

I haven't yet had the pleasure of traveling to EU or U.K. to try authentic dishes, but I do like chocolate flakes and those milk bottle candies. Welsh Rabbit is also very pleasing

I really like american style bbqs. We have a place un Sydney does it and the beef, pork and lamb are amazing. Also love a good american style beef and bacon burger.

Though whenever I go to USA I am reminded of how bad your milk, fresh veg/fruit and bread is. They are terrible and the bread esciaplly is laced with too much sugar.
    Last edited by Unhinged; 2017-11-18 at 03:00 AM.

That's rather regionalist.

Deleted
    I wasn't overly impressed with the food in Florida

As for 'American Style' bought here it's usually always mediocre

Deleted
    Most American food is not really American just modified food from the rest of the world. Cajun food on the other hand is uniquely American and really something to be proud of, alligator is really delicious and has a very unique flavour, my local supermarket has just started selling freshly baked cornbread too and it was a big hit with all the family.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Most American food is not really American just modified food from the rest of the world. Cajun food on the other hand is uniquely American and really something to be proud of, alligator is really delicious and has a very unique flavour, my local supermarket has just started selling freshly baked cornbread too and it was a big hit with all the family.
    I always regret missing out on Aligator

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I always regret missing out on Aligator
    Iceland sells it every year as part of the "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" pack, does not cost much and is worth a try. It tastes like a cross between chicken and fish but with a texture like neither one.

Deleted
    Iceland sells it every year as part of the "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" pack, does not cost much and is worth a try. It tastes like a cross between chicken and fish but with a texture like neither one.
    Any recommendations on what to have it with

Most "Chinese food" was created in the United States by Chinese immigrants via Taiwan. See: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ing-180956795/

Queso isn't a thing that really existed before. I make mine with Tillamook, Ballyshannon and sodium citrate. Mexican fast food is fairly unique to the states - for example the weird hard taco shell. Also, the burrito served American or anglais style, with enchilada sauce and cheese, then broiled is unique. Chili Colorado and a whole host of Tex-Mex cuisine is all relatively unique.

American pizza isn't really like Italian pizza either.

I've not noticed that the rest of the world eats much turkey, so that whole meal is fairly unique.

But everywhere borrows from everywhere else anyway. I mean, Italians didn't invent pasta - Marco Polo brought noodles from Asia. And so it goes...

Deleted
    Any recommendations on what to have it with
    Just stick it in a burger bun, it is considered a poor mans food anyway so no need to get fancy.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're all appropriating from each other when you consider how many important ingredients are from the Americas.

Cajun/Creole food is the best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Most "Chinese food" was created in the United States by Chinese immigrants via Taiwan. See: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ing-180956795/

Queso isn't a thing that really existed before. I make mine with Tillamook, Ballyshannon and sodium citrate. Mexican fast food is fairly unique to the states - for example the weird hard taco shell. Also, the burrito served American or anglais style, with enchilada sauce and cheese, then broiled is unique. Chili Colorado and a whole host of Tex-Mex cuisine is all relatively unique.

American pizza isn't really like Italian pizza either.

I've not noticed that the rest of the world eats much turkey, so that whole meal is fairly unique.

But everywhere borrows from everywhere else anyway. I mean, Italians didn't invent pasta - Marco Polo brought noodles from Asia. And so it goes...
    Turkey is popular in the EU

Deleted
    Turkey is popular in the EU
    So popular here that it overtook goose as the go to Christmas meat decades ago.

That’s true about most countries.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've yet to have the pleasure of traveling to Europe, so I cannot comment on any particular food from there.

But to anyone interested in trying some authentic American cuisine, I wholeheartedly suggest trying a few of the items below:

Cuban Sandwich (invented in Florida)
    Key-lime Pie (Also Florida using Florida Key limes)
    Shrimp Po-boy
    American-Style BBQ (Particularly pulled-pork or ribs. Brisket is a close second.)
    Mac & Cheese Casserole (Add Shrimp or Lobster for awesomesauce)
    Boston Cream Pie

I'm sure there's more to try, but those are definitely my highlights.
    * do you want to have a bad time?

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsy View Post
    I've yet to have the pleasure of traveling to Europe, so I cannot comment on any particular food from there.

But to anyone interested in trying some authentic American cuisine, I wholeheartedly suggest trying a few of the items below:

Cuban Sandwich (invented in Florida)
    Key-lime Pie (Also Florida using Florida Key limes)
    Shrimp Po-boy
    American-Style BBQ (Particularly pulled-pork or ribs. Brisket is a close second.)
    Mac & Cheese Casserole (Add Shrimp or Lobster for awesomesauce)
    Boston Cream Pie

I'm sure there's more to try, but those are definitely my highlights.
    Mince some peppers and jalapenos into the mac and cheese to add some bite

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So, just to bring some levity to the forum, I was wondering what some of you European folks have to say about the American Food you've consumed (if any), and what Americans have thought about European food. What do you like, what do you think is gross, etc.

Personally, I love how in German Airports, you can buy pre-mixed cans of Jack and coke.
    I've so far only tried American BBQ and hamburgers from "Chicago Meatpackers" in Germany. I could definitely feel the diabetes and heart disease creeping up on me, but damn if that wasn't some of the best food I've ever had. Really really delicious. Did I mention that the last time I ate there was more than 6 years ago? And that food is still fondly remembered. So damn delicious.

Other than that, I tried making some creole/cajun food by following either online recipes or youtube cooking videos. Turned out quite lovely, but I'm sure it didn't taste like the real thing. Though I still keep making those dishes, I just don't try to pretend it's authentic.