Thread: American Food

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've lived in Florida most of my life. I don't know what I'd recommend other than local seafood or a (well made) Cuban sandwich.
    Key-lime pie, least it's one of my favorite desserts.

There is also oysters being one of my favorite seafoods but as much as I love raw oysters myself, I'd recommend caution if eating them due to the scary rate of food borne illnesses.
    Last edited by kail; 2017-11-19 at 09:13 AM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I'm from Canada but one thing I noticed while visiting is that the Resteraunt portions of food in America are MASSIVE

I don't think there was a single meal in your country where I finished my place. Evey serving was way too big.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    I'm from Canada but one thing I noticed while visiting is that the Resteraunt portions of food in America are MASSIVE

I don't think there was a single meal in your country where I finished my place. Evey serving was way too big.
    America is the only place I have ever been to that offers doggy bags, the portions really are huge and the food is so cheap that I am not surprised that people eat out so often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    America is the only place I have ever been to that offers doggy bags, the portions really are huge and the food is so cheap that I am not surprised that people eat out so often.
    Only the shittiest food is cheap. It's far more expensive to eat out well than it is to cook your own food.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Only the shittiest food is cheap. It's far more expensive to eat out well than it is to cook your own food.
    That depends on what you like. For myself, I love a big Whopper from Burger King. And now they have a special going on, 2 Whoppers for 6 bucks. lol!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That depends on what you like. For myself, I love a big Whopper from Burger King. And now they have a special going on, 2 Whoppers for 6 bucks. lol!
    By shitty I am referring to nutrition.

Damn, Big Mac if you eat 2 you're over your calories for the day.

https://www.nutritionvalue.org/McDON...nal_value.html

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Damn, Big Mac if you eat 2 you're over your calories for the day.

https://www.nutritionvalue.org/McDON...nal_value.html
    A Big Mac is 1000 calories each? I doubt that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Plastic Cheese is awful

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand why Americans call jam jelly let alone eat it with peanut butter!

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Key-lime pie, least it's one of my favorite desserts.
    I've always thought key lime pie was mediocre, something to order if every other dessert on the menu sucks. :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by INVASMANIXOXOXO View Post
    Eggs Benedict (has to be done right mediocre otherwise)...
    Good spotting!

Eggs Benedict is a favorite of mine. I make it about twice a year. And I honestly haven't been to a restaurant in years that can actually make a Hollandaise from scratch that is worth a damn. Of course, I can make a microwave version that is extremely good in about 6 minutes - and that's cheating, of course. Often I'm lazy, but I can do a double boiler and whisk version that doesn't take much more time too. I find the better the constituent ingredients, the more I have room to cheat.

That's what I don't get. For example, in the city in which I currently reside I went to one of the most celebrated French restaurants in town and they served what was either a) the worst from scratch Hollandaise I've ever seen and tasted, or b) some tarted up POS version from a Knorr packet. I'm not even sure which it was, but I was so crestfallen when I saw the weird semi-yellow watering goo arrive at the table.

Just going to throw out the assertion that I don't care who runs the kitchen, their reputation, etc if they cannot deliver one of the basic mother sauces to the table that is at least competently prepared. It goes without saying that I have never returned to that establishment.

That's a top of the line restaurant that can't make a breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've always thought key lime pie was mediocre, something to order if every other dessert on the menu sucks. :P
    Sacrilege. I never order it at restaurants because I rarely order desserts, but if I'm making something for a family gathering, that's what they request.

On Topic:

S'mores. I'm pretty sure we invented it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Oranj View Post
    American processed food is pretty terrible. Too many chemicals (some of which are banned in Europe). Too much sugar. European processed food doesn't have as much crap in it, because regulation.

- - - Updated - - -

California used to be Mexico.
    You do realize that everything is a chemical right? I laugh my ass off whenever someone goes on a tangent about “chemicals” in something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Plastic Cheese is awful

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand why Americans call jam jelly let alone eat it with peanut butter!
    We don’t. There are jams, jellies and preserves. Each are labeled as such and people have their preference. They all start with fruit and sugar. Jelly is just the juice, jam has some puréed fruit in it and preserves have the most.

It’s the same as orange juice - pulp free, some pulp and heavy pulp. The end product is essentially the same though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    You do realize that everything is a chemical right? I laugh my ass off whenever someone goes on a tangent about “chemicals” in something.
    "Natural" is another word. I don't laugh my ass off, but I will deadpan a line like, "So you think this is supernatural food?"

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.